Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All these years since I bought mine thinking "They're going to redesign it someday and it's going to be AWESOME!"

Then I see the comparisons and I'm disappointed. Heavier, less performance (they dumbed it down a tad), different frame and things are "harder to get to" from the experiences I've heard thus far. Not to mention it now costs MORE because of the new fairings. I was planning on buying one.. but now? They ruined it for me. Why in the HELL would you redesign a bike with less performance for MORE money? Sure, it's pretty, I'm sure it appeals to the masses... but the 250 is basically a cult following.

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/product/medium/3523_3_.jpg 2008 stock and then with yoshi pipes

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Dyno_Charts/dyno_kawa_ex250_2006.pdf 2007 stock and then with two brothers exhaust

Just some info for the curious.

The wheelbase is slightly longer, the compression is down slightly, it is heavier. The brakes are barely different. The forks and rake setup are just barely different as well. The wheels are also larger (which may account for some of the additional weight). And obviously per dyno the 08 makes just a hair less hp.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Specifications:

Engine Type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, parallel twin
Displacement 249 cc
Bore & Stroke 62.0 x 41.2mm
Maximum Torque 22 Nm (2.24 kgf/m) 16.2 lb-ft/9,500 rpm
Compression Ratio 11.6:1
Carburetor Keihin CVK30 x 2
Ignition Digital
Transmission 6-Speed
Final Drive O-Ring Chain
Cooling Liquid
Frame Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake/Trail 26 degrees / 3.2 in.
Front Tire Size 110/70-17
Rear Tire Size 130/70-17
Wheelbase 55.1 in.
Front Suspension / wheel travel 37mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.
Rear Suspension / wheel travel Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® with 5-way adjustable preload / 5.1 in.
Front Brake Type Single 290mm hydraulic disc with two-piston caliper
Rear Brake Single 220mm petal disc with two-piston caliper
Fuel Tank Capacity 4.8 gal.
Seat Height 30.5 in.
Dry Weight 333 lbs. / 337 lbs. (CA-model)
Overall length 82.1 in.
Overall width 28.1 in.
Overall height 43.7 in.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Specifications:

Engine Type: 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head, Parallel Twin
Displacement: 248 cc
Bore & Stroke: 62.0 x 41.2 mm
Maximum Torque: 18.1 lb-ft @ 10,000 rpm
Compression Ratio: 12.4:1
Carburetor: Keihin CVK30 x 2
Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission: 6-Speed
Final Drive: O-Ring Chain
Rake/Trail: 27°/3.3 in.
Front Wheel Travel: 5.5 in.
Rear Wheel Travel: 5.1 in.
Front Tire Size: 100/80-16
Rear Tire Size: 130/80-16
Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
Front Suspension: 36mm Hydraulic Telescopic Fork
Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Aluminum Linkage
Front Brake Type: Single 260mm Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
Rear Brake Type: Single 230mm Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.8 gal.
Seat Height: 29.3 in.
Overall length 80.0 in.
Overall width 28.0 in.
Overall height 43.1 in.
Dry Weight: 304 lb.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

Edited by - koihoshi on Feb 02 2008 4:12:34 PM

Edited by - koihoshi on Feb 02 2008 4:13:34 PM

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I have been mulling it over too. The price isn't really an issue, new one's msrp is like $400- more. Not bad at all. The good points are really good... with the 17" wheels you have many more tire choices, plus it comes with bt-45's out the box. better tires, better brakes w/ wave rotors, better suspension, more mid range torque and better looking. The down side? A little heavier and a tad less hp. It's a tough call. I'd like to hear back from a seasoned ex250 rider on the differences. There hasn't been any real feedback online yet because nobody has finished break-in. The jury is still out.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have put several thousands of miles on my 05. I love it to death.

I'd love to get my hands on one and TRY it to see what I think. The specs make me go "BLEH!" though it was never a "fast bike" in the first place. Unfortunately, the one place that would let me try them is no longer around as they went out of business. I'd have to go quite a ways to try out the new 250 at another dealer. Perhaps when it warms up I'll go on a crusade for personal rest of peace on the whole thing.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it may be time to consider a hyosung 250 instead. Hyosung was the south korean engine manufacturer for suzuki who got license to make bikes. The gt650s are actually sv650 engines. their 250s are v-twins (not parallel like the ninja) and they make an even 30hp in GT250R trim. Also their dry weight is 277.8 lbs. Brand new MSRP is $3,700 if you want a solid body color (more if you want graphics or two tone).

the only downsides I see to the hyosung are that it is oil/air cooled and not water cooled, and that it has a 5 speed gearbox instead of a 6 speed like like the ninja. It is also geared for acceleration so it tops out at around 90mph where as the ninja 250s top speed is slightly north of 100mph. also it is slightly more money than a ninja 250. it also has slightly less torque than the ninja 250 (16 vs 18 lb-ft).

on the upside it does have an upside down fork, and an adjustable rear shock. It is also a little more than 30 lbs lighter (nothing to sneeze at). All in all I think when you get done with the bikes they are a wash.

Edited by - geeto67 on Feb 04 2008 07:32:10 AM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts