Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
what model? K? F? A? what year? Why is is to hard for people to include these things the first time when posting a tech question?

it is kinda retarded to ask this general a question because there is so much info out there. If you said "how to I make my cb750 front end lighter"? this is more specific and easier to answer. Still here are some things off the top of my head.

Seat is a bigge right off the bat, espically the supersports. On K bikes you can use the bubble back style to also get rid of the rear fender (unless you want it there)

76-77 cb750A hondamatics use aluminum rims laced to stock cb750 K style hubs. You will need to use your stock K spacers and cush drive but this is a cheap way to snatch some alloy hoops. You can also pony up for some lesters if you can find them, mag wheels and you don't have to run tubes in your tires.

exhaust is a biggie, those stock pipes weight a lot. Kerker is one of the best pipes made for the 750 and they are still made ($700 new), a mack is also light but if you go mac, get black and repaint it as their finishes are awful

you could ditch the electric starter, unless you want it there.

switch to smaller guages

Fiberglass or alloy tank.

clipons, prefferably aluminum. Almunimum bars also work. champ's steel ones are nice and light.

drill your disc rotor

swap over to disc brake rear, if you don't have it already.

drill your drum backing plate

ditch the gauges for mini gauges on an aluminum mount.

piaa style headlights to replace the stockers

aftermarket drilled fork ears

ligthened crankshaft

balanced and forged rods

wiseco 836cc forged pistons (boring removes material - hence lightening)

LED signal and marker lights (could remove all together too)

go on a diet. often the rider is carrying more weight then he needs or ought to. Plus it is healthier for you too.

Port your head (once again removing material). Also along this vein is titanium valvesprings, valves, and retainers.

drill out your rear brake pivot shaft. old drag racers trick to hollow out the rear brake pivot. You can also drill ever lever on the bike including the brake lever.

hack off unnecessary tabs and parts of the subframe. make sure if you cut something structural you shore it up somewhere else. Except for the fact they mount he exhaust the passenger peg fame extensions are really not necessary.

with clipons you really ought to have rearsets but some of those setups can be too heavy (like dunstall and raask). However if you keep the passenger peg mounts you usually can get a set like generic tarozzis or generic raask and they are a lot lighter than stock foot pegs.

I'm sure there is more out there so don't be lazy and do some searches. I'm sure this question has been asked to death over at sohc4.us

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The easiest way to shave the weight you bike carries is to eat less and exercise more :). Of course that only works if you have some pounds to loose. They save 7 pounds equals one horsepower.

I tried to get my MB5 up to 14 HP, but I like donuts too much....

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
R1Fighter dont take Geetos scolding to heart,Your a new guy...Geeto is just a historical genius and gets what seems to be silly to him.But not so obvious to a new comer.
Most people just ask what they want ,thinking nobody will answer them anyway.But here,it is a small community of wacko cafer track racers mixed with a lot of street cafers.
But all questions get a responce or a wise ass comment till someone comes around and helps out (ussually not to long)

In a perfect world people would make requests with year make model actual condition of bike in question,and it just doesnt happen till the New comer gets a few responces and understands they are heard and get answers.

Geeto will always be Geeto,and new comers will always just take a stab at asking a question and hope someone answers.

But any new lurkers or newbies should try and include as much ,Info about your bike and the actual bike situation so WE CAN HELP ,intellegently with the information you provide.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Bull, The reason I was so "curt" with the question is that it invites someone to write a book in response. Books can an have been written about questions more specific than that. It just show no real planning or organization and definatly no desire to do your own research. IT is a "tell me all I need to know so I can go out an do it without further preperation" kinda question and to me that just cheats a person out of truly learning about their bike and the forces at work. Kitchen Sink questions don't get as many replies as ones that can show specific goals.

I don't understand why people feel the need to be brief on the internet. Sure a multipage question is overkill but I firmly stand by the belief that you will not get chastized by giving too much information, but too little can draw ire from those who have the answer.

Here is what I would really like to know before giving away the keys to the kingdom...

1) year and model of the bike - not all cb750s are created equal and what works on one does not necessarily work on the other.

2) are you trying to save reciprocating mass on the bike or static? What kind of use is the bike getting? What enviornment do you live in? in bikes there is no such thing as a street/race bike so which one are you street or track racing?

3) how far are you willing to go? are you looking for cheap tricks or if I have you plans to a rickman frame could you build one? It is useless to tell you about any kind of fabrication work if you have no intention to weld anything.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
see ...................................................................................what did I tell you Pure GENIUS.You cannt make this shite up .I feel your pain Geeto because I learned the hard way like alot of us.Its just the age now where you can get a magazine that tells you how to do anything or newbies have the internet to get pictures videos about what ever the heart desires.I used to hang around garages and help and ask questions and Id read and read and under stood the dewy decimal system (atleast to find all the books on things mechanical) at one time in my youth I knew every book the local library in both sides of town had on sports cars,repair,racing and engineering.That was my internet back then.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I miss the card catalog. I could find anything in the library, but the new computerized system was dificult to get used to.

Post some pics of that 750, R1.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
I miss the card catalog. I could find anything in the library, but the new computerized system was dificult to get used to.

Post some pics of that 750, R1.
i love the smell of a hot micro fiche projection machine!!! kinda like a hooded art-o-graph overhead. 'member those? not as good as hot metal, but close.

NCNR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts