Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm off to buy a tank of shielding gas to go with my new lincoln welder, it's a handler 140. i will be doing mostly mild steel although, this welder is set up to do aluminum as well. is there a gas/combo that will work with both or, if not, which gas/combos do i need for each.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fuzz,
aluminum wants pure argon because that is basically a spray transfer process and the electrical properties of that gas facilitate the technique. mild steel is a little more varied. for thicker wall material pure CO2 works well as it will give you deeper penetration but is more difficult to get a nice smooth looking bead. most guys go with C20. 20% CO2 80%Argon. C20 is easy to work with especially on thinner wall and you get a smooth, good looking bead with decent penetration.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fuzz,
aluminum wants pure argon because that is basically a spray transfer process and the electrical properties of that gas facilitate the technique. mild steel is a little more varied. for thicker wall material pure CO2 works well as it will give you deeper penetration but is more difficult to get a nice smooth looking bead. most guys go with C20. 20% CO2 80%Argon. C20 is easy to work with especially on thinner wall and you get a smooth, good looking bead with decent penetration.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
222 Posts
yep. I run a 75:25 mix of argon and co2 on my mig. Aluminum and tig need all argon. You cannot mig aluminum with amy co2--even if it is 100% argon in and old co2 bottle.

Plus, on migs, you have to have a Teflon lined gun to get the ali wire to come out smoothly. Well, I suppose you can get the wire spool at the gun.

--chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
yep. I run a 75:25 mix of argon and co2 on my mig. Aluminum and tig need all argon. You cannot mig aluminum with amy co2--even if it is 100% argon in and old co2 bottle.

Plus, on migs, you have to have a Teflon lined gun to get the ali wire to come out smoothly. Well, I suppose you can get the wire spool at the gun.

--chris

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i tried to do aluminum on my mig with no luck at all. I was told to try changing polarity for aluminum but i never tried it again. I'm using argon but when i tried to use aluminum mig wire it just wouldn't stick to the peices i was trying to weld.
*wish i had the owners manual for my mig now*

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ended up with 75/25. thats what a fellow cb owner/fab shop owner suggested

1 - 8 of 8 Posts