Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I know it's not the greatest solution, just how terrible would it be to shim a set of 33mm fork tubes to fit 34mm triple clamps? It seems like getting some 0.50mm shim material and putting one wrap around the tube work be stable enough. Also, from a metallurgical standpoint, would steel or aluminum shim material be ideal. Aluminum is more "sticky" but also more prone to deforming. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I shimmed my headlamp brackets but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of shimming the forks to fit the triple clamps. But it is only 1mm, though. I dunno. Some old timer used to wrenching on bikes back in the day might make it work but I get the feeling that doing so is "doing it wrong."

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would say the major problem is ensuring your shimmed all the way around the fork tube with two half shells that have the proper spacing as so the fork clamps can do their job and clamp. Other than that - you should be good to go.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
ive done it using copper shimming, i rode my 850 suzuki chop for 7 years like this with no probs, and my mate before hand did the same with no probs, copper seems the best for shimming as it really bites and grabs hard.
but go with your own thoughts.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I gotta get this one done for minimun expense, at least at first. Here's what I think I'll do: I'll go for the copper shims, but I'm gonna cut the "clamps" off of a set of 33mm lower triple clamps so they are just a clamping band. I'll clamp them to the fork tubes below the shimmed 34mm lower clamps as a failsafe. That way, even if the fork tubes want to slide up and out of the shimmed clamps, they'll be stopped by the solid 33mm clamp bands and I'll live to fight another day. Anyone know a source for small quantities of copper shim stock?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
© 2009 McMaster-Carr Supply Company

Shims and Shim Stock
This product matches all of your selections.

Part Number: 9014K25 $9.80 Each
Type
Shim Stock

Shim Type
Shim Stock Sheets

Material
Brass

Brass Type
Alloy 260 Brass

Thickness
.020"

Thickness Tolerance
±10%

Width x Length
6" x 25"

Length Tolerance
+1/2", -1/4"

Width Tolerance
±.01"

Hardness
Rockwell 30T 56-68

Specifications Met
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)

ASTM Specification
ASTM B19, ASTM B36

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Never had much luck with shim stock, get some thin wall tube and have it turned to fit (no big deal with mandrel)

PJ

·
Registered
75 Posts
What works best is an aluminum beer can. You can cut it nicely with some good scissors, it's just soft enough. Just be sure to give the whole shootin' match some squish factor before you go tightening the cinch bolts.

Roy747

·
Registered
75 Posts
What works best is an aluminum beer can. You can cut it nicely with some good scissors, it's just soft enough. Just be sure to give the whole shootin' match some squish factor before you go tightening the cinch bolts.

Roy747

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used beer can to shim other things, but it's thin enough that I'd have to wrap it around more than once to make up the 1mm difference. Shimming fork tubes is squirrely enough with just one wrap of the proper thickness shim material.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've used beer can to shim other things, but it's thin enough that I'd have to wrap it around more than once to make up the 1mm difference. Shimming fork tubes is squirrely enough with just one wrap of the proper thickness shim material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts