Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have someone thats interested in my sandcast frame that I have and they want me to ship it to Germany.
Ive never shipped anything like that even in the states. Where do I start? Prices? Im not really set up to crate it or anything. Can it be wrapped in plastic?
Tried to get a quote from UPS....they want thousands....so I must be doing something wrong.
I know people do this all the time

Any help would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I cautioned you about this - your exact words to me "well that's the buyer's problem"

You need to find an international shipper that is used to shipping crates, and you will probably need to build a crate. Start with a company like Bax Global, used them once to ship an engine in the US and they were alright. Cost $250 to ship a very heavy engine.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah well its my problem now. really wouldnt normally do this but I think that the sale price is worth the trouble...
Emailed a few local places to see

Either way i think im going to have to ship the frame to open myself up to a less limited market...

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air something? nice.....

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bax isnt bax any more but i did email them

Foward air seems to have some international stuff, i emailed them too.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
My dad ships heavy farming parts from IL, USA to Finland frequently and the prices are very reasonable. Given its freight but if the client can wait it should e good. He uses DHL. Basically a palette (palet?) one of those wooden things. But you need a proper crate.
its sort of messed up as I am 99% sure that if I call DHL here in US they will not offer me the same price.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You will need export declaration.
Shipping should be the easy bit.
Build a wood box around frame, smaller the better and make sure its padded at all contact points
UPS has gotten out of control with pricing.
You can ship it 'surface' lots cheaper, takes about 10~11 days from Tampa, New York has docks, should be around the same time.
Another alternative is find international shipper who sends containers, they may need a little 'filler' if container isn't full

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
export declaration?
know any good shippers?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Taxes in Europe. If they want any for a old piece of metal, they will ask the buyer. Try MailBoxes and the said DHL. I have the list for the U.S. east coast to Spain in my shop, may be there in the morning.

Chris

·
Registered
268 Posts
Whats the matter Will? Cant pull some strings with UPS?

·
Registered
325 Posts
yea...I thought your family owns UPS...
Couldn't you just hire your own transport plane to strap the frame in and fly it to Berlin?

Looks like you're screwed in the pooch.

I'll look up the shipper and extra information for you on who we use at Team Obsolete. It's cheap and good, although the guy who came to pick up the Bultaco race bike earlier this year almost dropped it off the truck loading it. But hey...the driver for the pickup service looked like he was tripping out on LSD and having flashbacks about Nam.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by Bassmasta

Whats the matter Will? Cant pull some strings with UPS?
Yes my uncle was the director of long range planning there.
We still have connections but Im more just lost on how to do this.
I think it has more to do with forms and such then anything else.

I got a good price from fedex.....ick....
so now lets see if this guy was for real.
I let him know that had he done this it might have been a lower rate, assuming he has an account...and that he would have been able to lower the dutys/taxes but honestly thats his problem

Now i sit back and wait for the guy to tell me he isnt interested.....lol
I broke my rule of working to hard for a sale....and i always get fucked when i break my rules

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well she is on her way to germany.
I figured i would update as i hate when you search for answers and find a thread with the same question but no end.....

I had used the fedex quote thing online and got a number around $450. So i told the guy. we then agreed on a price and i was paid.
I wrapped the frame up and went to the local shipping point. The dick behind the counter started giving me shit because the shipping would be crazy, i told him im ok with the $500 it would be. then he told me it was $900!!!!!!
well after much pissing and moaning i left and called fedex direct. they were almost no help.
I then requoted the shipping online and got $800???? and the girl on the phone told me $950.....so just keep calling until you get a good number????
Well long story short i was told by a friend about "grate rates" hotline for fedex...
http://www.fedex.com/us/greatrates/index.html
really just call them and things are cheaper....
I needed to make and account. some how its a business one or something but im not sure.
The frame needed to go fedex freight because of its size but the shipping was about what my original quote was....still dont know what happened about that...maybe i did something wrong?
Fedex also came to my house to pick it up and fill out all the forms. i needed to write a commercial invoice.
The driver thought it was funny as he normally picks up 2500lb pallets and not cb750 frames.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by kerosene

did you need to fill any paperwork for the tittle or parts origin in terms of it being a 'vehicle'

It went as "parts"
did need to fill out some forms but nothing more then any other small international shipment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts