Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm moving back to Ft. Hood/Austin TX this summer, I'll probably ship my bikes using U-Ship again... Unless I can pay a friend to make a 14 hour trip.
You stationed at Fort Hood or just moving to the area? I was stationed there '88-'90.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm moving back to Ft. Hood/Austin TX this summer, I'll probably ship my bikes using U-Ship again... Unless I can pay a friend to make a 14 hour trip.
This may seem like a stupid question (not my first), are there still public tours of some military bases or has 9/11 killed that completely? I say still because I was in Austin in the '80's and was offered a tour of the base, it was at a New Years party so I don't know if it was just drunken talk. We had to climb on the bike the next morning, badly hungover and head north so I never got to take him up on the offer. One of those minor regrets of life that I didn't go see it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
This may seem like a stupid question (not my first), are there still public tours of some military bases or has 9/11 killed that completely? I say still because I was in Austin in the '80's and was offered a tour of the base, it was at a New Years party so I don't know if it was just drunken talk. We had to climb on the bike the next morning, badly hungover and head north so I never got to take him up on the offer. One of those minor regrets of life that I didn't go see it.
So as far as I know, generally you can get access to most military installations by going into the visitor center and getting a pass (they run a quick background check on you). There's a lot of museums and stuff on installations so it's generally easy to do.

Now... if you're a foreign citizen (even canada) I'm not exactly sure what the requirements are.

I'll add, that SOME installations allow someone above a certain rank to vouch for passengers in the vehicle. Basically, "I promise I'll babysit this person, they're cool". I can tell you that Ft. Knox is not one of those installations.

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And will it go to another runner up or is this spot reserved for a new Queen?
Never any queens. everything is fully serviced and used. Sure the real exotic stuff doesn't get the mileage that the Ducatis do, but I do not hesitate to use anything.

Right now I am thinking about finding a 748R 999R or 1098R. But the last couple of times I went to buy an R Ducati, I ended up buying a Bimota.

Was recently offered an interesting trade deal I might explore.

There is a growing part of me that thinks I should cut a couple of bikes loose and "trade up"
Thinking a DD16 or FP1.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Never any queens. everything is fully serviced and used. Sure the real exotic stuff doesn't get the mileage that the Ducatis do, but I do not hesitate to use anything.

Right now I am thinking about finding a 748R 999R or 1098R. But the last couple of times I went to buy an R Ducati, I ended up buying a Bimota.

Was recently offered an interesting trade deal I might explore.

There is a growing part of me that thinks I should cut a couple of bikes loose and "trade up"
Thinking a DD16 or FP1.
I meant Queen as in top of the heap, never thought about the "hanger queen" connotation. I completely respect the fact that you do ride your bikes. Those that own beautiful bikes and don't ride them should have them confiscated and sold to those that will. Unridden bikes should be restricted to museums.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thinking a DD16 or FP1.
From what I hear the maintenance on a Desmosedici can get ungodly expensive real fast. I dunno... I know a guy who has one, that's as close as I need to get to owning one but that's just me. I'm down to one real Ducati these days so I expect they'll be revoking my fanboy card any day now.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Guys over on Bike World did a project DD16 a little bit ago. Was really interesting. Sure the parts were expensive at time, and stuff took a long time to find....but at the end of the day this is a top tier performance bike so can not expect Honda CB750 levels of ease. The days of dealers being the only place to go, and silly pricing is over for these.
Never "cheap", but probably worth it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts