Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys shipping your large items?
I have a fairing that I could sell but to ship it to CA would cost $120 because of its size. The package would be 36 X 20 X 20 and I get the $120 shipping cost from USPS.com
Anyone?
DG

·
Registered
70 Posts
The reason it's so high with UPS is because the box is so big. If you can fit it into a slightly smaller box safely it will be much cheaper. When you go over a certain size box they nail you for "dimensional shipping" which means your box is going to take the space on the truck of another box so you will pay more. $120 seems pretty steep but I've seen it happen.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Large packages i got to UPS. they beat USPS for big stuff only. fuel tank size (30 x12 x12) and smaller is cheaper to use USPS almost every time.
Also helps if the postal employee measures a certain way. I had one location quote me $80 for a box, then i went to a different USPS branch and got it shipped for $35. there is more then one way to measure the girth on the package. make length the longest, and width the smallest measurement is what works best for me. for whatever reason, it sometimes makes a large difference. I think it has to do with the conveyer belt width they use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts