Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There does have to be something inherently "off " about a true shitbox. In my opinion, this "light utility vehicle" is pretty worthless as a truck - you'd have been better off with a wagon. Still room for those smaller dump run articles, a few garbage pails or 50 lb. of dog chow and a more comfy ride and passenger space to boot. To me a truck is not really useful unless the cargo space can hold both heavy and long objects.

Ultimately it is a personal opinion. Some vehicles however are ROARING SHIT BOXES in the eyes of most.

Candidates anyone?

Beth

quote:Originally posted by steve barker

A shitbox is a car that was never any good to begin with. A car with some kind of inherent design flaw, or a serious lapse of engineering judgement. Either mechanical (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, early VW vans, etc.) or aesthetic (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, Pontiac Aztek, etc.).

The Chevy LUV isn't a true shitbox. It was a good little truck, made by Isuzu. I guesss some of them had problems with blowing head gaskets, but I never found out if that was a design flaw or just poor maintenance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There does have to be something inherently "off " about a true shitbox. In my opinion, this "light utility vehicle" is pretty worthless as a truck - you'd have been better off with a wagon. Still room for those smaller dump run articles, a few garbage pails or 50 lb. of dog chow and a more comfy ride and passenger space to boot. To me a truck is not really useful unless the cargo space can hold both heavy and long objects.

Ultimately it is a personal opinion. Some vehicles however are ROARING SHIT BOXES in the eyes of most.

Candidates anyone?

Beth

quote:Originally posted by steve barker

A shitbox is a car that was never any good to begin with. A car with some kind of inherent design flaw, or a serious lapse of engineering judgement. Either mechanical (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, early VW vans, etc.) or aesthetic (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, Pontiac Aztek, etc.).

The Chevy LUV isn't a true shitbox. It was a good little truck, made by Isuzu. I guesss some of them had problems with blowing head gaskets, but I never found out if that was a design flaw or just poor maintenance.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
on my block right now is a Chevy LUV painted in Manchester united colors without a straight panel on it, and a white Fiat x1/9. I think right now my block is the shitbox capital of brooklyn.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
on my block right now is a Chevy LUV painted in Manchester united colors without a straight panel on it, and a white Fiat x1/9. I think right now my block is the shitbox capital of brooklyn.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
My wife had an old Chevy Vega station wagon when we first got married. That shitbox used more transmission fluid than oil. And it used a lot of oil with the fine aluminum block that some GM engineers thought would be a good idea. And then we dumped that on some unsuspecting high school kid. And bought a Renault LeCar. Karma was a bitch.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
My wife had an old Chevy Vega station wagon when we first got married. That shitbox used more transmission fluid than oil. And it used a lot of oil with the fine aluminum block that some GM engineers thought would be a good idea. And then we dumped that on some unsuspecting high school kid. And bought a Renault LeCar. Karma was a bitch.

Craig

·
Registered
585 Posts
quote:Originally posted by midge

the Chevy luv was a shit box, i had one, bought it off the neighbor for 800, there was a hill on may home from work and even with a full speed running start i would only get half way up before having to feather the choke in an effort to maintain 45 i was the guy in the right lane everybody gave dirty looks, like i wanted to go that slow, the door would get stuck a lot so you had to climb in on the passenger side, i was going to sell for scrap when a tree fell on it got 1200 from the insurance co
had a vw van too, no heat, the fuel injection didn't work when it was cold, and the side door fell off if you opened it too far
but far and away the worst car i owned was an audi 100 because it was always breaking and was so hard to fix
Sounds like you had a shitbox mechanic.

·
Registered
585 Posts
quote:Originally posted by midge

the Chevy luv was a shit box, i had one, bought it off the neighbor for 800, there was a hill on may home from work and even with a full speed running start i would only get half way up before having to feather the choke in an effort to maintain 45 i was the guy in the right lane everybody gave dirty looks, like i wanted to go that slow, the door would get stuck a lot so you had to climb in on the passenger side, i was going to sell for scrap when a tree fell on it got 1200 from the insurance co
had a vw van too, no heat, the fuel injection didn't work when it was cold, and the side door fell off if you opened it too far
but far and away the worst car i owned was an audi 100 because it was always breaking and was so hard to fix
Sounds like you had a shitbox mechanic.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I had a 71 pinto wagon with fake wood on the sides and a chrome roof rack. Coupled with a blown head gasket, cam with 2 missing lobes and an automatic transmission, it was the epitome of "shitbox". It was a great car. Even better after I replaced the headgasket, cam and put some transmission in a bottle in it. The AC even worked. I miss that car.

Ken

21 - 40 of 70 Posts