Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you guys running YSS shocks on your racers? If so how do you like them / how do they compare to other shocks?

Michael

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Michael,
I have never even heard of YSS. What is the deal> I have Ohlin's on one race bike and Progressive on the Seca 550. Last weekend was the first time I ran the Seca and the rear shocks were good.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Michael,
I have never even heard of YSS. What is the deal> I have Ohlin's on one race bike and Progressive on the Seca 550. Last weekend was the first time I ran the Seca and the rear shocks were good.

Ken

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Same here...never heard of YSS. I typically run rebuildable NOS Muhollands if I can find them. I still have some of their springs and rebuild kits in original boxes.
(More stuff that goes with the "A" bike)
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Same here...never heard of YSS. I typically run rebuildable NOS Muhollands if I can find them. I still have some of their springs and rebuild kits in original boxes.
(More stuff that goes with the "A" bike)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've all been using Hagons out here for years - Quinn has probably sold 50 sets or more on the west coast. I think I was the first one to ask him for the lightest springs he had - everyone else at the time was set up with springs more appropriate to something in the 4 or 500 pound range.

However - once you really start putting in some seriously fast laps the Hagons do start to show their budget nature. Some of the guys are closing in on the point where they really need better suspension, including better shocks than the Hagons. For our bikes I'm talking about the 160/175 platform for now.

Works gets a lot for their shocks, and they're not hugely better. I looked at Elka shocks from Canada, and they were willing to work with me to get a shock designed, but between needing to ship a whole bike to Canada and the price/set it was a no-go.

Mullholland eh? Are they similar to the rebuildable Redwings you run across sometimes?

I've talked to the fellow at YSS (Klauss) and he seemed like a stand up guy. The shocks look good and for what you're getting they seem like a decent deal at 400 bucks retail. Plus he's willing to set me up as a dealer. But I've not talked to anyone who has raced on them.

http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html

We'd be looking at the z-302 shocks. Klauss said they're available with either eye-eye or eye-clevis, and that they are ride height adjustable to +10mm. And they're adjustable for rebound damping.

Michael

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've all been using Hagons out here for years - Quinn has probably sold 50 sets or more on the west coast. I think I was the first one to ask him for the lightest springs he had - everyone else at the time was set up with springs more appropriate to something in the 4 or 500 pound range.

However - once you really start putting in some seriously fast laps the Hagons do start to show their budget nature. Some of the guys are closing in on the point where they really need better suspension, including better shocks than the Hagons. For our bikes I'm talking about the 160/175 platform for now.

Works gets a lot for their shocks, and they're not hugely better. I looked at Elka shocks from Canada, and they were willing to work with me to get a shock designed, but between needing to ship a whole bike to Canada and the price/set it was a no-go.

Mullholland eh? Are they similar to the rebuildable Redwings you run across sometimes?

I've talked to the fellow at YSS (Klauss) and he seemed like a stand up guy. The shocks look good and for what you're getting they seem like a decent deal at 400 bucks retail. Plus he's willing to set me up as a dealer. But I've not talked to anyone who has raced on them.

http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html

We'd be looking at the z-302 shocks. Klauss said they're available with either eye-eye or eye-clevis, and that they are ride height adjustable to +10mm. And they're adjustable for rebound damping.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts