Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a Thruxton and I have way to much junk so something has to go. Its been a good time but I think its time to sell it. Am I'm wrong about this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good looking bike! I like how you kept the rear fender vs. cutting it off or removing it. Tastefully done. That's a tough call, but remember that if you do you're getting rid of one bike to enjoy another. Can't keep them all...

·
Registered
306 Posts
i've always thought the new bonnies/thruxtons should be considered a good starting platform....i don't buy the "cafe style" of the stock bike, but like any stock bike, if you remove the stock handlebars/tank/seat/pipes/signals/etc, you'll have a solid reliable modern canvas on which you can make awesomeness happen.

yep, awesomeness.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
personally that cb550 will be every bit as reliable as a thruxton and probably just as fast (thruxtons don't make a lot of hp). I think what is bothering you most (besides being bored with the bike) is that it looks a tad uncomfortable. Try changing up the riding position and see if that helps. Stock pegs with clubmans really are not that comfortable.

aside from that if you hold onto your honda you probably won't loose money on it since these bikes are still appreciating, where as a thruxton is always depreciating. you may not break even if you sell right now, but give it another year or so.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Classic head vs. the heart argument. Want you want is what you want. But I'm with Geet on both his points. Thruxton's are cool no doubt, but no cooler, or faster, or "better" then your Honda. In fact probably less so over all, to my mind.

Personal question. Cash or finance on the Truxton? I'm big on actually owning things, especially in this economy. I'm sure you own the Honda outright, whereas the Thruxton will always be a depreciating asset. At least for the next 20-30 years until hopefully it becomes a classic.

But at the end of the day, it's your wallet. And sometimes in life when you have an itch, you, have to scratch it. (but don't ask Elliot Spitzer about that, didn't work for him)

Good luck, have fun
Cheers- Leo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

personally that cb550 will be every bit as reliable as a thruxton and probably just as fast (thruxtons don't make a lot of hp). I think what is bothering you most (besides being bored with the bike) is that it looks a tad uncomfortable. Try changing up the riding position and see if that helps. Stock pegs with clubmans really are not that comfortable.

aside from that if you hold onto your honda you probably won't loose money on it since these bikes are still appreciating, where as a thruxton is always depreciating. you may not break even if you sell right now, but give it another year or so.
Those aren't stock controls. They are rearsets from an other bike. Anyway thanks for all the compliments on my bike. I built it about 6 years ago and have alot of bike and car projects I thinks I need to start to get rid of. The reason I was thinking about the Thruxton is because its cool but I want to have a payment on something so I can get my credit up. I have to say I'm torn. I just don't know yet.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
want your credit to go up? get 4 credit cards and maintain a rolling balance of less than 5% of the total limit and make all the payments on time. In 6 months your credit will be through the roof. Installment purchases rarely increase your credit like a credit card will.

I thought the brake and shifter looked funny but the rubber on the pegs definatly has a stock look. Unless it is a space issue I don't see why you can't get the thruxton and keep the cb. If you have the thrux you can drop all your classic bikes to a classic policy - my classic policy is less than $200 a year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might be over the Thruxton idea. In addition to being broke I'm also cheap. 8 grand is a little steep for me.

Geeto67, Thanks for the credit card suggestion. I never thought of that. Its worth a shot.

And the rearsets are stock controls from a CB400 I think. I can't remember but the guys on here helped me out when I was building it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Slap a peterbilt badge on the tank and do a burn out. You will feel better. New shit is for people who can truely afford it, the rest of us have to get creative. Do not apologize for that ride, she's cool. When was the last time you found out how fast it would go? cheers, bcr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts