Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Champ, you got a spare 160 carb in that tank bag ?
shut up dale, you know I only carry a spare motobi carb in my tank bag..

understatement of the year...sat 8:30 riders meeting, giro event director, 'there's going to be some dirt'

rain

5:00 sat, 'hey did anyone else notice 40 miles of dirt, slime, mud, peanut butter ?'

rain

Jerseygirl; race face on, serious in the special tests, suitably rewarded.

best quote - Jerseygirl's mom. you had to be there.

rain

I think Champs 125 is a 175...it's the balls

best lesson learned...how to tie a giro bib !!!!

we think team160 kicked teamMotobis ass, team results not out yet, but all the 160's finished, most of the motobis finished

a great weekend, good people, some fast roads, and some dirt.

caferacer.net folks did well, I'm sure more stories to come.

I have an old girlfriend story from the fair, but that's off topic....;))

shut up John.

dch.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You guys beat me home.

Lesson learned------While checking all the nuts and bolts for tightness, don't forget the spark plugs!!

I'll tell you about it later....I am beat and going to bed.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
SHUT UP DALE!!

Tons of fun with a good turn out. Lots of different makes of bikes with people from all over the place.

Lesson learned....don't run a velocity stack when its raining and going thru the dirt....not so good result!!

Spring Giro in the Catskills and the Fall Giro in Southern VT/NH.

JS

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like it was a good time overall with some additional "challenges" thrown in for extra fun! Candy asses need not attend the future Giros if they don't feel up to it; this is New England! Wish I could have been there but now I know the inside tip: put trials universal tires on the 305 Dream in case there is mud!

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
So, Hondas never break---

Just after that BIG ass hill in the muddy dirt Sunday, my throttle sticks open. I pull up in front of a house and Tim, the fellow who lives there is out in a flash with offers of tools, parts, etc. As expected, the cable linkage in the grip needed grease. 15 min and on the way again, but it brings me in 20 min late.

Then, on the way back to the Inn, I go WOT for a few miles when all of a sudden there is a pop and I lose most power. I figured I had holed a piston so kept going since I was afraid that if I stoped I wouldn't get going again. I looked below to make sure no oil was coming out and kept on riding down the shoulder with Jeff Rigby on his BMW sidecar rig behind me. A little later he pulled up and yelled if maybe a sparkplug cable had come off--I looked down again, and there it was, the plug dangling from the cable---it must have vibrated loose, eventually coming out.

When we pulled over another gentleman came out with offers of tools,help, etc. Luckily the plug was still good, with the electrod bent closed, and the plug hole threads were still good. Reaching into the tank bag I pulled out a new plug, but it was for the DUCATI....... Well, the old plug worked, made it in OK. end of story....lesson learned---Hondas still don't break, just sometimes stupid people ride them.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Very cool to know some of the bystanders and residents along the route were sympathetic to the cause. Always helps. Everyone loves little bikes too.

If you want to learn about working on, or riding bikes, an event like the GIRO is like a college course. Nothing better to teach you what things typically go wrong, what needs attention before a long ride and what parts and tools to bring.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote:Nothing better to teach you what things typically go wrong, what needs attention before a long ride and what parts and tools to bring.
Yep.. You are absolutely correct. I had a total rebuild kit in my tank bag. Spare carb, cables, oil, etc along with the tools i needed.
Saved my ass from taking a ride in the.....truck. Craig knows what that feels like!!

SHUT UP DALE!!!

JS

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I am now 0 for 4 in completed Giros while riding my own bike under it's own power.

This year I made it about 10 miles from the finish. Good thing the official Giro scoring was finished at the World's Fair.

I must have failed my college course. The only thing I learned was these things run better when they have gas. And don't wash your Aerostich the week before the event. It only guarantees rain and mud.

Other than the truck ride the event was a blast. Great seeing my friends again.

Craig

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
that was fun.
i love pretty bikes.
i love seeing other guys pretty bikes get dirty.
i didn't mind getting dirty with my bike.
all the tacos made it.
jawas seize chasing tacos.
that was fun.
parks

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Where did the Jawa Seize?? Now that you mention it I don't recall seeing it at the fair.

Does anyone know why the Hodaka didn't run the Sunday course? My friend with the Greeves bowed out because he thought his gearing was too low for the pavement, and knew there was lots of that on Sunday.

I have a question--just a question, not a statement or judgement-- my understanding is that the giro is for pre 1968 or like design bikes. The very well ridden bike that won overall was an early 70's verticle twin Honda 175. Is this considered like design? I don't think that model was introduced until 70 or 71, but I could be wrong. There are BIG styling changes between that--blinkers, paint scheme, etc.-and the 60's bikes. Just curious about it.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:I have a question--just a question, not a statement or judgement-- my understanding is that the giro is for pre 1968 or like design bikes. The very well ridden bike that won overall was an early 70's verticle twin Honda 175. Is this considered like design? I don't think that model was introduced until 70 or 71, but I could be wrong. There are BIG styling changes between that--blinkers, paint scheme, etc.-and the 60's bikes. Just curious about it.

Thanks,
Jack
I agree, we should limit it to 1967 and 175cc. Maybe 500cc for sidecars but still 1967.

FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Same here. The Giro is all about correctness and the challenge of doing things correctly on a small bike.

The vert twins (although I love them) are a different era from the slopers.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
works for me...

shut up John

dch.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I was just looking thru my photos of the Giro. At the Saturday lunch stop I have a shot of a bright red, Italian bike, an MV I think--very pretty but also VERY CLEAN. It could not have gone over any of the dirt roads. Does anyone know the story on this bike? It didn't run on Sunday.

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
I was just looking thru my photos of the Giro. At the Saturday lunch stop I have a shot of a bright red, Italian bike, an MV I think--very pretty but also VERY CLEAN. It could not have gone over any of the dirt roads. Does anyone know the story on this bike? It didn't run on Sunday.
He had a problem in the first couple of miles and made it to the lunch stop in the back of a pickup.
That's what happens when you spend all your time making them look pretty.

FC

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i'm with you guys on the '68 and b4 thing. 250 s have been o.k. since giro #1 so shut up frank (i say with respect to someone my senior). that being said, i think my 175 is coming back for the next giro. although it is more handsome than his bike, frank's prettier.
parks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yo....Harry...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dale

1 - 20 of 75 Posts