Cafe Racer Forum banner

Small Bikes

2K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  jbranson 
#1 ·
Damn I love small race bikes.

I'm kinda big though.

I'll trade my big self, including my Gimongous weeny and gigantastic balls for the body of one of you little people.

JohnnyB

#4 ·
Yeah "Mr, Bigbooty" (name that film reference) you ever race a big bike,
in a big bike race, with other big bikes??
I could fit your whole engine in one of my valve pockets, that's how big my bike is.
Never mind the rest.

FR

#8 ·
the wife/girl is hatin it these days. em is sick. still on the feeding tube. kinda really depressed. so i am hangin close to home these days to help her out and play with my son. we have a friend staying with us to help out. i am hoping she will feel better by the end of the month. who knows???

matt

#9 ·
Seriously Johnny, man the f--k up. You'll ride 130mph on a 420 pound monster on the street, but you wont get on a vintage 350 or 500 GP bike? I've got two words for you...c'maaaaaaaaaaan. Better yet, I've got four words for you.
Man the f--k up.

Z

Edited by - paced_haste on Jan 06 2006 9:07:14 PM

#13 ·
Yeah...Zack is scared of 200's...he's gotta hide his slowness behind HP.
Ain't it always the way with those hotshots.

Those of us with large weenies don't need to compensate by racing big bikes. Just on the street.

Ok...yes I'm scared of racing big bikes. I use ALL available HP, I would go very very fast on a big bike, I might get hurt. I'm far to valuable to the human race to go hurting myself.

As a base line....I've run 1:27's at Loudon on a 916 Ducati street bike. I've run 1:32.6 on a 200cc vintage four stroke. But it was about 8 years ago that I rode the Duc. I've gotten better.

But...I think I have more fun on the small bikes. I don't like having to worry about spinning the rear tire.

And I'm in touch with my feminine side....which likes small bikes.
JohnnyB

#14 ·
i always race like a girl. no disrespect, but women ARE intuitive, more so then men, so i always tap into my feminine side when saddle up! reject the testasterone and embrace the estrogen is my motto!

seriously, it's my motto. i got bumper stickers and everything.

tex

#16 ·
quote:
You're right, y'got me. Doing 1:15s is easy, but 1:33s scare the shit out of me. I rode a 50 once and it was the scariest thing ever. Seriously, I'm never doing it again.

As for F-USA, I heard they're defunct. I hope there's still a national at NHIS though.

Z
I heard that too, I think I was hoping you'd expand on that.

Also maybe I suck but trying to catch Branson last few races felt pretty fast. Mid 30's with less then 20 hp is faster through 1, 1a, and 2 then you think. Plus I have to defend the 200s, best class in the USCRA. Also the more crap we give you, if do end up riding one, it will be impossible for us not to rip you. I mean if you do more then a 1:36 will be like "hah Zack sucks, tra, la, la".

Aaron

#17 ·
quote:

But...I think I have more fun on the small bikes. I don't like having to worry about spinning the rear tire.
Spinning the...what? I'm still laughing. Dude, no spinning of rear tires is happening in vintage 350gp. Some 350 or 500 guys on this forum might beg to differ, in which case you can decide who has more credibility.
"Spinning" is sort of a loaded word, which we can get into if neccessary, but I don't think it is. The point is I don't think there's really any difference in handling characteristics between a fast 200 bike and a 350. You can smear the rear tire with cornering force and too much throttle, but it doesn't really "spin".
Yea, there's more power with a bigger bike, but not so much that you'll hurt yourself. Even if you had zero throttle control it would be hard to highside a 350, and I know you have some finesse with your right hand 'cause Aaron told me. Seriously, you can't ride a slow bike on the track as fast as you and be totally meat-fisted.
Speaking of baselines Johnny, here's one for you. In 5 seasons of racing modern 125s, I've highsided three times. Once as a rookie in the wet. Once exiting 12 onto the straightaway, which is extreme lean. And Once as an expert in the wet, trying to catch a guy on a Duc 1000 DS. To me, highsiding a two-stroke in the wet is pretty easy and plus I was really pushing the second time it happened. ANYway, a 125 is much less forgiving and much more powerful bike than a vintage 350, and even then you don't highside much.

Z

ps - i really want to try a 200. i'm accustomed to small bikes too, for the same feminine reasons.

#18 ·
Hey..actually I was thinking more along the lines of a modern bike when I spoke of spinning the rear tire.

But...I have broken the tire loose on my 200 exiting 12...just a slip and grap..slip and grap. Not really spinning.

To be honest it's not really the hp of bigger bikes that bothers me...it's mostly the weight...I just don't enjoy wrestling around more than about 300 lbs.

And...I don't ever plan on racing an RS125 in the rain....unless Aaron is in the race.

Actually Zack it would be really really cool to have you run once in the 200 class....it would give us a really good yardstick to measure our riding with. All of us in the class are very familiar with our bikes, skills...and who goes how fast. Seeing how we do against you would really help us peg where our skills lie compared to the rest of the club.
We got to get you on a decently fast bike though. Maybe Mary would give up her 200 for a race. It's down about 3 hp on mine but is about 10 lbs lighter. Front brake is strong...but not as strong as mine...but you shouldn't need it that much :)

Greatest thing about 200 class....is we all get to bang the loser in the pooper after the race!
JohnnyB

#20 ·
quote:

To be honest it's not really the hp of bigger bikes that bothers me...it's mostly the weight...I just don't enjoy wrestling around more than about 300 lbs.

And...I don't ever plan on racing an RS125 in the rain....unless Aaron is in the race.

JohnnyB

Understandable. Very much so.

I wouldn't want mary to give up her ride, but maybe something will work itself out. I'll arm wrestle her for it...should be a barn burner.

Z

#22 ·
That pretty much sums it up....I don't like commitment...and you have to commit to a line on a big bike. I can ride more stupid on a small bike...take more chances...and get myself OUT of trouble if I have to. Basically have more fun. Might be learning less...but having a lot of fun.

Zack mentioned it to Mary, she'll let you ride her...err...it..err..the bike. She said...yeah if you beat Zack it will prove how much faster your bike is than mine. I had to correct her of course and say...noooo...it will prove that I'M faster than Zack. She nodded and smiled....bitch.

Aaron...I quit smoking...so if you want your after butt sex smoke you'll have to bring your own in the future.
JohnnyB

#25 ·
Joe...actually I have no idea what he meant by smoke. But I figured this way....I said the losers get it in the pooper....sometimes I beat him...so I do him in the pooper...he likes after sex smokin so I figured that's what he was talking about. I don't even know what Hog Smoke is...maybe cause I'm old.

Zack, no problem...maybe we could all get together in a 250gp or ULSWV race so she doesn't lose 200gp points. I'm putting a superhawk brake on her bike this winter so there will be some good brakes too. No favors needed...it will be fun.
And...nahhh...no practice, back of the grid...12psi in the tires.
JohnnyB
PS. It's street shift so don't blow it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.