Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at some Suzuki JR50 Dirt Bikes at my work, and I was wondering if anyone has made a cafe racer this small? I have a son on the way and I would like to make something like that for him. Anyone have one, pics or anything?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I put a 4 speed SL70 engine in an early Z50

it would haul azz and was stupid scary for a grown man to ride

fearless kids seemed to like it alot

painted it pepper red and black and put harley stickers on it

chopped a set of drag bars for it

made a tiny reverse cone megaphone for it

removed most of the seat padding and had it covered with black and piped in matching pepper red

I'd have to dig to find pix of it, that's been many years ago

·
Registered
33 Posts
skip the jr50, and get either the old z50 or one of the newer honda 50, but the old z50 would probably be idea for a cafe mini

·
Registered
306 Posts
this has been on my wish list for a LONG time. it's too bad i don't live in japan anymore, yamaha still makes them, but alas none of the cool small shit makes it over here. it's 50cc of pure sex.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Actually Honda made a very small SL/XL/XR50/70(?)Enduro style bike back in the 1970s(?)that looks just like their bigger Enduro bikes only shrunk down. I saw one last year at the Walnecks Swap meet at in Martinsville ,In.

It did NOT look like the scrunched up/porky looking normal Z50s/CT70s etc.,but a REAL normal looking Enduro,but only about 1/2-1/3 the size.

I would have bought it on the spot,but didn't have the $250-300 cash the wanted for it. Plus it needed a total re-do/restoration.

I had never seen one before and didn't know Honda built such a bike.
It reminded me of my first bike,a Yamaha JT-60 only I think they are smaller.

I immediate thought it would look great as a little miniature Cafe style bike for shows and parades. I think kids would just eat that bike up when they saw it and would beg their parents to "Just buy me one".

I think I found some pics and the model is a Honda MR50 Elsinore and they are pretty rare,TINY little two-strokes!
PICS:
http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2005\06\08\bikepics-370497-200.jpg
http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2004\02\19\bikepics-110720-200.jpg
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007\10\14\bikepics-1055139-200.jpg

Specs:
1974 MR50 Specifications

ENGINE
Type: Single-Cylinder Two-Stroke
Displacement: 49cc
Bore & Stroke: 40mm x 39.7mm
Dry Weight: 95 lbs.

DIMENSIONS:
Length: 57.3 in. Wheelbase: 40 in. Height: 32.9 in. Width: 25.4 in.
TIRE SIZE: Front: 2.25 x 14 Rear: 2.75 x 12
CLUTCH: Wet Disc Multi-Plate
TRANSMISSION: Type: 3-Speed Close-Ratio
FRAME:Backbone
Fuel Capacity: 0.7 gal.
SUSPENSION: Front:Telescopic Fork Rear:Shock Absorbers
IGNITION SYSTEM: CDI Ignition Coil
BRAKES:Front & Rear: Internal Expanding Shoe

·
Registered
33 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mudmonkey

this has been on my wish list for a LONG time. it's too bad i don't live in japan anymore, yamaha still makes them, but alas none of the cool small shit makes it over here. it's 50cc of pure sex.

thats sick, wonder how hard it would be to import one of those

·
Registered
306 Posts
i've heard of guys buying bikes in japan, tearing them down into pieces, crating it, and sending it over as "motorcycle parts" to avoid the taxes....the headache begins when you try to register it at the dmv....though i would probably just buy a junk moped with papers and stamp its numbers into this frame...

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got bored one day and terned my 1979 xr 80 into a cafe racer:D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts