Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've gotten my 1975 CB550 project on the road and thru the C.H.P. salvage vehicle inspection. Whatchya think ?. Was painting it to match the red glasspacks hammered into the exhausts not the best idea ????

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1074470/

Yes, the paint came from an ACE Hardware spray can.

John

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It's a nice looking bike. I'd lose the exhaust tips, the stock taillight and the stock bars, but that's just me. Nice project.
How's it run?

FR

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey man, nice bike! Seems really clean. I'd worry about the cosmetic stuff only after the mechanical stuff was perfect. How did the restoration go? Do you have a before pic? Hey, you didn't use armor-all on those tires, didja? :)

Red muffler tips: well, I'd sort out that wrinkle in the saddle cover before anything else. cosmetic details, though. flashy red muffler tips don't seem to mesh well with the abject sturdiness of the rear fender/tail light assembly...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to run great, give or take the problem I'm having getting the carbs dialed in. Cylinder #3 is running very rich, guess the carbs were not cleaned well enough when they were gone thru ( lots of white oxidation, inside ). Nice touch, nobody mentioned the Yamaha XS650 front fender. Thanks. The exhaust tips were actualy a "Thrush " brand Glasspack that had been cut in half and used to fill in the megaphone part of the mufflers. I'll get the flat black paint out in the AM.
There are parts from 5 bikes involved in this build. I just havent decided if I want to cafe this bike, or, make it into one of the confused looking things I drove to high-school back in the early 70s. Are tall pointy sissy bars and ape hangers kinda out of fashion these days ?. Armor-all on the tires ????? NO !!! I did that to a motorcycle seat once, that aint happening again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i love the red muffler tip. i think it looks awesome. This bike is so clean if it passed a salvage inspection (they are tough here in jersey) i would assume its pretty straight. Keep us updated i want to see her with all the me too parts.

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks great!
Something as little as a handlebar and seat to Cafe seat swap can make a huge difference in appearance and isn't that hard to do if you buy a seat thats already covered and made for your type of bike like the ones available from places like www.clubmanracing.com .

For my Honda CB200T project I am seriously thinking about going with one of their covered seats to cut down on build time. The Vic Camp seat looks like it will match up to my tank pretty well.

They now offer Heavy Duty Manx style seats under the Norton section.
I have always liked the Manx style of seat on old school Norton/Triton etc. style bikes.

If you don't want to Cafe it all the way you could go with lower bars such as "Superbike" style bars. They have a little bit of rise and will give you better feedback than the stock/high bars.

Personally I don't like straight/Broomstick bars and they feel odd and high effort to me.Ones with some pullback are a little better feeling.
I would rather have Clubmans or better yet Clip-ons than straight bars,but that may be just me.

Edited by - coolatula on Nov 03 2007 1:02:54 PM

Edited by - coolatula on Nov 03 2007 1:03:22 PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts