Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I ordered some Dunlops for my RD. Said they'll ship tomorrow. Sweet. Now we'll see if they're as good as everyone says.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:
Rob,
Actually the only Dunlops I can vouch for are the KR825.

Which are too small for the RD.
Not really. Too much tire and they handle like a truck.
I got the KR825 for the front and KR124A for the rear.
I normally run a 90/90 front and 110/90 rear.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
rob,

all the rd and cb guys/gals run kr124s' on the rear. it's a preety great tyre.

tex

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:
all the rd and cb guys/gals run kr124s' on the rear. it's a preety great tyre.
Barker told me that the 124 was discontinued, replaced by the 124A.

What do I know... just pay the bills.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Damn...I'm glad to hear you say they KR825's aren't too small for the RD...definately plenty of tire for my 175 then. I use them back and front of course...I had a soft on the back for a while and it really took a beating..even on my 175. I'd think an RD would eat an 825 on the back pretty quick wouldn't it?

Great tire, they will do a stickey gooey side step even on a vintage bike though if you run them hard...at least on the back they will. Doesn't bother me so far...they never seem to let go, just slide a bit. I'd rather that than something that goes all at once.

I got five brandy new ones sitting in the shop right now.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I just got my new pair last week.

Dunlops and big carbs- Look out Mr. Tachometer...here comes 12K
bfd

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hey Bill....you know that little Dohickey that goes on the end of the clutch cable and fits into a slot on the crankcase?

Do you have any of those to spare? Like one. They are all the same from 160-175 vert.

thanks,
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:
Damn...I'm glad to hear you say they KR825's aren't too small for the RD...definately plenty of tire for my 175 then. I use them back and front of course...I had a soft on the back for a while and it really took a beating..even on my 175. I'd think an RD would eat an 825 on the back pretty quick wouldn't it?
Well, the Avons were getting chewed up and spit out, so anything would be an improvement. I couldn't use full throttle coming out of the sharper corners or it'd spin up.

quote:
Great tire, they will do a stickey gooey side step even on a vintage bike though if you run them hard...at least on the back they will. Doesn't bother me so far...they never seem to let go, just slide a bit. I'd rather that than something that goes all at once.
Have you played with tire pressures? Like raise it? From what I recall, you're supposed to see a 5%? increase in tire pressure due to heat if you had the correct starting air pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Raising the pressure does help a lot of the time. You can read the Dunlops pretty easy, when they get that smeared look you either need more pressure or a harder compound....which means more pressure :).

Frank C. put his infrared temp gauge on one of my soft compound rears after a race, and after I had been sitting BS'ing with him for a couple of minutes...180 degrees. Now I run the soft on the front, medium on the rear. Although once these softs are gone I don't think we'll see any more for a while.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
I must have one of those dohickeys laying around. I'll look tonight.
You mean the little threaded deeley, right?
bfd

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Bill, yep that's thing I'm talking about...the cable threads into it, and it slips into a notch above the counter sprocket.

Scott...thanks I know you would if you have one. Cause you are friend...something some people don't have :)

JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
Happy to help

Thanks for the offer of the peg but I'm holding out until I find the NOS peg in genuine factory packaging.
bfd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts