Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I like it. It's a step in the right direction with the 17 inch wheels, low bars, improved peg placement and higher output engine.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
now just to cover it in 10k worth of catalogue parts and you'll really be unique!

Reactions: thechief86

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
On par with the Kawasaki Z650? Are they talking the 68 hp? Weight and handling I would think are pretty far apart. And most likely fuel consumption. Don't get me wrong I like it and I am not a Harley fan. Just that comparison seems a bit of a reach.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Definitely the direction I wanted to see the street 750 go in. Now to make a 1000cc version with a little over 100 hp, clip-ons, and real rearsets, and I might actually be interested in this segment, I think they need to make something (at least an options package) that competes with the thruxton 1200r (i realize the thruxton is $6k more.expensive) or bin the whole idea.
I'd pay real money for something that comes close to a Ducati sport classic for cheaper, or even something that reminds me of when Harley still made competitive race bikes. This is the closest they've come since the xr1200, which I love, and wish more people had bought.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't like the bar, or the mirrors. But it looks like an XR1200 Jr., which is good because the XR is a decent bike, but too heavy. This might be a good size for it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
On par with the Kawasaki Z650? Are they talking the 68 hp? Weight and handling I would think are pretty far apart. And most likely fuel consumption. Don't get me wrong I like it and I am not a Harley fan. Just that comparison seems a bit of a reach.
When you put it in context it makes perfect sense. The statement was made while speaking about the motor:
To that end, the Street Rod reportedly offers 8-10 percent more torque (depending on market) through the mid-range than on the Street 750, and 18-20 percent more horsepower. No official figures have been offered, but based on Street 750 dyno figures and our own fuzzy math, that suggests the Street Rod will deliver roughly 68 hp at peak (8750 rpm) and 47 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm. Pretty decent numbers that – on paper – put it on par with the new Kawasaki Z650.
The Street 750 makes around 58hp, with the full point bump in compression and other changes to the motor it is expected to be in the same range as the Z650 at 68hp, on par.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
keep in mind 68hp is also what an aircooled pre 2016 triumph new bonneville makes. the Guzzi v7 makes less. you don't need a lot of HP to have a good riding bike. Most 883 sportsters were 49hp as was the RS750 honda.

Here is what I like:
- It's a standard with a standard riding position
- suspension
- wheels
- brakes
- rear seat stylng

Here is what I don't like:
- tank and overall styling (looks a little parts bin and confused and is not retro enough).
- bars
- mirrors
- it may steal sales from the sportster roadster because both bikes fill the same niche.

Overall I think Harley needs more bikes like this. They need to be thinking world market and this is a world market bike. I just don't know if they know how to sell american culture to the ROW that isn't a chopper or a cruiser.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What sucks is that Harley NEEDS the market segment they've failed so miserably with.
We are going to have to agree to disagree and here's why.......

HD does not even remotely need this segment. Sometimes I feel these model types are geared more to foreign markets than here in the US. HD already owns over 50% of the US market. For every 1 goldwing they sell 12 baggers. It's something like 7 out of 10 bikes over 600cc is an HD in the US.......literally beating everything combined. And they do all this without a real entry level model.

Consider this.....the fastest growing segment is young folks to HD.......while a majority of the other manufacturers saw a decrease in this segment. Incredible considering they have not offered a viable entry level machine since the 70s and 60s.

It's the lifestyle man..........and old fat guys on bmws, wings and guzzis are lame (at least in the eyes of the cool kids)

·
Registered
7,014 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
We are going to have to agree to disagree and here's why.......

HD does not even remotely need this segment. Sometimes I feel these model types are geared more to foreign markets than here in the US. HD already owns over 50% of the US market. For every 1 goldwing they sell 12 baggers. It's something like 7 out of 10 bikes over 600cc is an HD in the US.......literally beating everything combined. And they do all this without a real entry level model.

Consider this.....the fastest growing segment is young folks to HD.......while a majority of the other manufacturers saw a decrease in this segment. Incredible considering they have not offered a viable entry level machine since the 70s and 60s.

It's the lifestyle man..........and old fat guys on bmws, wings and guzzis are lame (at least in the eyes of the cool kids)
Harley doesn't "need" it from a revenue standpoint. They need it if their company is going to have a future. They need to start making in-roads now to a diverse market so that if and when the cruiser market tanks they are diverse enough to not feel it. When sportbikes tank, gold wings still sell. When crusiers tank, dirt bikes still sell. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha don't feel the market trends like HD does because they have a diverse product line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts