Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have been mega bored lately and while motorcycle shit is out to paint and the race cars are running strong we decided to start some new crap...

soapbox derby!
we got about 10 guys building them now for races in and around central jersey... rules are
cant spend more than $200 total...cant have spikes or anything blatently dangerous to other drivers..

so here we go.

I decided that with spare steel and enough 85-87 rwd corolla parts i could build something sick...

but i needed a theme... everyone else was just buying go karts without motors and they were ready..

however i need a challenge. I decided my "theme" would be 50's dragster .. you know the tube framed dragster that had the fats in the rear and skinnies up front.

We layed out the basic square chassis with the smart tool and some string and started welding...I cut up some front corolla struts with 11" disc brakes for the rear. these would mount my 13x7 panasports that i sometimes drift on. I would be using the disc brakes plumbed to a corolla clutch master cyl as the fluid pusher.

got the rears welded on.

wheel and free seat test fit and ready to go..

Next up was the front end..
i had some trouble keeping the front end down with all the weight in the rear. esp since the front wheels where trash picked from one of those jogging strollers i found on the side of the rd.

this is where all my money was spent.. i bought the steering shaft from the oval track store along with the weld on ears for mounting the rod ends for steering.
all in all i have 50 dollars into this thing..

as you can see i put the plate on there so if i need to put some weight on it.. but as of this minute i am pretty balenced.. enough to pull a wheelie if i rock the back ..(which is cool)

i cut a corolla splined steering rod for the steering wheel so i can mount a sweet white grant wheel i had on my corolla a while back..

there you can see the sweet ash tray i got using the front spindles..

my old lady is NOT impressed..
next up..
running the brake lines finishing steering and the test run.

Edited by - sprinter666 on Jul 23 2007 11:19:50 AM

·
Registered
194 Posts
once you showed a pic of the wheels on, all i could think of was:
if there is a turn, you are going to die!

but of course, this thing is going to look kick ass!

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

Edited by - jb on Jul 23 2007 1:16:23 PM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha...
i hope not...

we are gonna test it soon.. i will try and let you knwo how it goes..

i think i put enough neg camber in the rear to keep the rear grip kinda low. pray for me boys .. pray for me.

http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
man, that is awesome. get pics of the full on race for us. looks like a blast. the kind of crap we come up with her sometimes. and in case you die, make sure to give your ole lady my number before the race. ill be sure to console her. you know, so you know shes in good hands and all that.

jc

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
That's sweet. Dangerous as hell, but sweet.

You might want to consider plumbing the brakes individually side to side w/two pedals, steering brakes. I'm guessing it's not gonna turn so good

04 KDX 200
01 GSXR 750
87 FZ 600 basket case
75 GT 550
68 Chevelle- trade for front motor digger

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha rubbing compound...

the first 2 hills we have planned has minimal turns .. so i should be ok. the turn it does have is loooong right hander ... i was thinking about the turning brakes.. that would be rad.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
matt,

could i come up to check out this first madmaxesqe soap box derby. it looks like it's gonna be a pretty good time. i'm going strictly an observer, or a halfassed medic (i got a first aid kit in the van).

ping me offlist:

[email protected]

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bro you KNOW you can come.. we were doing invite only to the first one..

do me a favor sign up on clubloose.com forums and send me a PM (same name on here) i will let you into the hidden forum with all the updates and stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You have no idea how much I envy you. I've been trying to get something like that going here in Il for years. Good luck, and the steering breaks sound like a really good idea. But hey, I wuould see how she turns first. It's got to be safer than the time we raced wagons down an 8% grade back in high school. Who knew that wagons didn't so much turn as they do flip over when steering from the inside.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, itd be great, you could take her to the movies, get in for 5bucks with your aarp card.....girls love that right?

jc

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
So what's with chicks these days and the big freakin' sunglasses?

Makes it looks like they've got a boyfriend that beats them and their trying to hide a black eye.

Oh yeah. Cool soapbox derby racer.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote:
yeah, itd be great, you could take her to the movies, get in for 5bucks with your aarp card.....girls love that right?

jc
Damn dude...your only 10 years younger than me....and about ten seconds slower.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Man you could have used rear trailing arms from a bike one perside and be lighter with the same effect.or just one and move the seat forward and lay down like a lotus europa driver.unless it had to have four wheels.
Women are never impressed with men that like building stuff instead of spending time with them.They hate all things that detract attention from them...hence the look of lack of enthusiasium.
Any way its a good post and a cool dragster....

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
194 Posts
quote:
Women are never impressed with men that like building stuff instead of spending time with them.They hate all things that detract attention from them...hence the look of lack of enthusiasium.
and to that post, i will answer: BULLSHIT! not all women, mine loves it. ok, fine, i do build shit for her too which she finds awesome. but still, my lady actually digs it and she admires my build/rebuild skills. nope, you can't have her number!

any progress on that soapbox derby bitch?

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

1 - 20 of 24 Posts