Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I want to buy a cheap soda blaster mostly to use to give a finished look to ally bit and maybe a wee bit of paint and grunge removable. I wont use it often but it would be of help. Anyone have any recommendations ? As I would use it little I hate to spent over $100 or so.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I made one a few years ago from a plastic jar and some brass fittings. It just plugs into my air line, soda goes in the jar and is sucked into the airstream as it passes and is blown out at the work.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made one a few years ago from a plastic jar and some brass fittings. It just plugs into my air line, soda goes in the jar and is sucked into the airstream as it passes and is blown out at the work.
You know that's a great idea. So simple I didn't think of it but considering how little I'll really use it , it may be the perfect way to go. Thanks for the thought, totally fits my KISS rule number 1.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It works for what I need. The nice part is that if it doesn't do what you want you still have your $100 but I'm betting you have all the required parts right now.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
147 Posts
Keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace for a used "marco" portable sandblaster 35lb. Capacity. it will last forever and you can run a variety of abrasives through it for different tasks. Here is an example of the one I use in the cemetery to engrave final dates on granite monuments:
Wheel Tire Product Automotive tire Font

The mixing valve is very good, you can dial it in just right for any media and it will flow abrasive at as little as 16psi (for dusting/stripping the surface without removing material)

Honestly the older the better. i have the original one from the 1950's that still works perfectly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace for a used "marco" portable sandblaster 35lb. Capacity. it will last forever and you can run a variety of abrasives through it for different tasks. Here is an example of the one I use in the cemetery to engrave final dates on granite monuments:
View attachment 106716
The mixing valve is very good, you can dial it in just right for any media and it will flow abrasive at as little as 16psi (for dusting/stripping the surface without removing material)

Honestly the older the better. i have the original one from the 1950's that still works perfectly.
Thanks Mate I will start looking. We have a 100 year old Hardware store thats still in business and they have all kinds of old equipment used equipment I head over in AM and take a look also start looking on-line
Cheers

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
View attachment 106716

Do you use sand to engrave the granite?
I assumed it was done with some sort of bit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have a dedicated soda blaster pistol. Price in the region $50. Worked great decarbonizing a Norton head. As soda is soluble in water, no risk of grinding materials in an engine. Worked for removing paint on a pair of TZ racer wheels but it took around 150 lbs of soda. Perfect result but took some hours.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have a dedicated soda blaster pistol. Price in the region $50. Worked great decarbonizing a Norton head. As soda is soluble in water, no risk of grinding materials in an engine. Worked for removing paint on a pair of TZ racer wheels but it took around 150 lbs of soda. Perfect result but took some hours.
Thank to everyone for the advice. I found a pistol like the one just described. It does everything I needed and I really like the fact that I can use it to take paint off plastic fuel tanks if I go with very fine soda and low pressure. Again thank you all for the info.
Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts