Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally assembled all the necessary items to get to work, managed to get a few tests done before it was so dark I couldn't see anything. Lets just say I'm impressed.

Here are some photos:

1- Old beat, carbon caked piston. I masked it down the center to do a before/ after shot. Man, I was not expecting such a great result:

2-This is an old Aermacchi M65ss head, I found this bike rotting in some guys yard. Didn't even roll! (Now it rots indoors at least!). Anyway, I did another 'down the middle pass' it could use another go but you get the idea.

Bear in mind these are quick once overs done in the dark! I'll post some in depth info and pics tomorrow. So, anyone need some blasting done?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Mar 09 2007 12:18:06 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
That's better than the walnut shells I've used and about the same as glass bead. Not bad for something water soluable that can just be washed off.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
what is the medium you are actually using? Is it just baking soda or something else?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
hey seth, are you around this weekend - I want to try this out. How smooth is the finish after you are done?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice matte finish.

It is baking soda, just a more agressive version made by Armex (arm & hammer's industrial wing) just for this. Comes in different formulas for different applications.

Similar results to other media (maybe even faster action?) without ANY damage to the substrate and NO stray particles to wreak havoc inside your powerplant. Plus it actually neutralizes the oil and oxidation. No damage to rubber or plastic (just like EvapoRust!), they even have a special formula for stripping paint/ gelcoat off fiberglass!

The results tonight should be even better, I have a few more formulas to test out. Will also try paint removal AND removing the clearcoat from some Honda engine cases and covers!

Bet I can get that 'macchi head clean and sparklin'

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
What about cost? What's a bag of the soda go for?

How different is the equipment, could I use my present glass/sand/walnut setup for it?

JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
per 50lbs it's $30-50.

Totally diffrent set-up, it's a pressurized cannister affair. I don't think you could use your current set-up, too much exposure to ambient humidity. Also, it's a one-use media, the soda explodes on contact rendering it useless. So a blasting cabinet would fill up with spent media.

Jeez, I gotta get out of here. More later.

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
seth

be careful on te fiberglass..... we had a soda blaster guy come to my work to try removing an epoxy gelcoat from one of our epoxy/kevlar hulls... the blaster would not touch the epoxy gel but would totally blow through the epoxy laminate....

fine for what you are doing... throw the old fiberglass away and have your buddy make ya new shit

buddy

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, where to start? I'll just post some pics, just messing with different stuff:

*clearcoat remval

*ewww, the 'macchi head:

*the same piston we started with:

*taking paint off a swingarm:

*taking paint off a gastank, no problemo:

*and finally.... stripping off POWDER COAT:

So there y'all go. Some test peices and patches just to see what works.

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Wow...impressive...very nice finish on the engine covers..that clearcoat can be a bitch too. Definitely more aggressive than shells, but a better finish than bead for fine sand.
Might have to get me one of them rigs for outdoor blasting.
JohnnyB

PS. What kind of pressure are running?

Edited by - jbranson on Mar 11 2007 05:12:19 AM

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Johnny. The process has serious potential. That Aermacchi head had freaking coral growing on it!

There are cabinet style blasters available, big$$ though. The portable jammy runs at 90psi max, compressor should do 7-9 cfm @90. You'll need an air-dryer too. I can give you specific model #'s etc. shoot me an e-mail and I'll fwd the info.

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Rosko,

I know you are doing this outside, but since you live in an industrial waste zone I thought I would mention that somewhere I have plans for making abalsting cabinet out of a 50 gallon drum (it really isn't that hard if you think about it). Might help with some of those smaller parts. to keep from getting lost.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I blasted my petcock today. It had been soaking in the carb cleaner tank for a while, I may have forgotten it was in there. So anyhow it was clean, but not very pretty. I just put regular baking soda in my handheld blaster. It came out sweet. I'm sure this combination wouldn't work for anything dirty but to just put on a nice uniform finish it was fine. One of those little boxes of soda like you'd put in your refrigerator fills a speedy blaster. I didn't use a full box on my petcock.

Carbs are next, maybe tommorrow.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ratty,
the soda we are talking about is VERY different. If you ate it you would shit blood. Well, maybe not. Just pointing this out because I heard (first hand) tale of a guy who ran out and bought a cheap siphon blaster and 4-50lbs bags of regular baking soda! The set-up is useless and he is stuck with a LOT of baking soda.

Soda in general is a great cleaner, it actually absorbs and neutralizes oil. You can just throw a handfull of regular kitchen baking soda on an oily part then rinse it off, it'll usually come out clean. Same goes for your garage floor or driveway!

Be careful of using your setup when it's humid, it could really eff up your blaster!

www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Rosko,
Yeah I know. About a year ago I was looking for blasting soda, the suppliers in my area would only sell it to me by the pallet. So I got some baking soda just to see what it would do. It won't remove paint or heavy oxidation. It will shine up basically clean aluminum parts.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
McMaster Carr sells it....but about $50 per 50 lb box....plus shipping...which would probably run $20.

Rosko...have you seen from experience that it kills grass? So far I can't find mention of that....everybody says environmentally friendly.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
branson, I have seen guys shoot regular baking soda and have it strip paint - takes a loooooong time. I have done it in my little cheapie home depot blaster once or twice and it worked, but not as good as real blasting media.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts