Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, where can I get a cheapo unit to stuff in my garage to blast engine parts? Want to use soda blasting because of its gentle touch on aluminum.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah it's got a gentle touch alright just like potash and walnut shells

so if you aren't feeding that blast cabinet with one inch ID air lines hooked to a screw compressor powered by a four cylinder diesel

plan on blasting a looooooooooong time

blast with glass or plastic beads like the rest of us serfs gotta!

harbor freight has some cheap cabinets

avoid the bench top models unless you just gotta

but all the plastic ones are nearly worthless and pretty much disposable

the ones with the deep v reservoirs work best

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I own an eastwood cabinet but I blast a lot of media. I do not blast baking soda, but Rosko does. The cabinet and gun as far as I know are standard items, what you will need are the moisture filters. Any compressor builds up moisture when compressing air. You probably should run two to three moisture trap filters to make sure you are getting dry air so the soda doesn't clump and clog the gun.

You will need special soda, this is not your basic arm & hammer soda.

The thing I like about soda is it is a light touch. removes paint and most coatings. IT DOES NOT REMOVE RUST OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF CORROSION. if you want to blast aluminum free of that powdery oxidation you use walnut shells.

harbor freight sells cheap setups. Personally I find that you can make one if you have an empty 50 gallon drum and one of those home depot outdoor sandblasting kits.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Unga, I keep glass bead in my cabinet, and two five gallon pails of walnut shells next to it for quick swaps.
Like these guys said, "soft media" will not remove corrosion on aluminum...yeah it will remove the powder, the stuff you can take off with a brush, paint, stuff like that.

The upside, with walnut shells you can blast an old set of carbs and they'll come out clean with that slight Japanese anodizing still on them.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I blast all the time - glass beads work great on AL parts. Also moisture is a big problem from compressors - use vapor traps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts