Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having electrical issues.

Headlight works, turn signals work and the tail light kind of works.

ISSUE #1

The brake light is not very bright when I hit the brake. It does light up a little more than the tail light but not really bright. As well, the tail light blinks slightly when the turn signal is on.

Any ideas?

ISSUE #2

When i hit the starter button nothing happens. The right handlebar control in brand new. It was working at one point. Now, nothing. I can touch the two poles on the solenoid together and it turns over.

The solenoid is new. Do they break?

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
#1 Bad ground
#2 Bad switch or loose connection

Ken

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken,

I went over all the connections for the solenoid but it still doesn't work. I put the original solenoid back on and it worked but when I hit the starter button it just keeps turning over even after I let off the button.

How can I tell if my new solenoid is good or not? Can i use a multimeter to determine if it is good? If so, how?

Thanks again for all the help.

Mut

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Mut,
Without a wiring diagram I am going to have to guess on color codes and descriptions to help you. So I don't guarantee the colors.
1. Here is how the starter system works. The hot lead from the battery goes to the 6mm stud on the top of the solenoid. The hot lead from the other 6mm stud goes to the starter motor. The hot from the ign switch goes to the starter button (Black ?)and when the button is pressed it makes contact and 12V goes from the button to the solenoid(yellow w/red tracer?)and energizes the solenoid so the internal plunger completes the circuit between the two 6mm studs and send 12v to the starter motor.
2. If you push the button and the solenoid doesn't energize check to see if you are getting 12V at the solenoid from the starter button. You probably are if the old solenoid engages.
3. With the old solenoid, if it engages and stays on then either the 12v is continuing after you let go of the button or the solenoid is corroded internally and not releasing ( rusted, pitted, weak spring).
4. So, either your new solenoid is bad, or the plug that connects it to the button is bad.

Ken

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken,
I appreciate your time. I was able to fix it but I don't know what the issue was.

The new solenoid that I bought is one that grounds by being bolted to the frame. I thought I had a good spot on the frame brace. It was bolted on the same frame brace that the back of the battery box bolts to (right in front of the rear wheel). I ground the paint off the area around where I bolted it to the frame. At one point it worked.

I should say that I have relocated all the electrics to a home made glass pan under the seat (the battery is now in my seat bump).

After the new solenoid was bolted on, and working, I grounded the wiring harness onto the rear seat frame brace.

After I grounded the wires, and fumbled through getting my after market lights connected right, I noticed the solenoid didn't work.

In exchanging out the new solenoid for the old one, and then back to the new one, I realized the new one worked when it was not touching the frame but grounded on a bolt.

SO, I mounted my solenoid to the plastic rear wheel fender (where the battery box used to be) and grounded it through the wiring harness.

Could I have had too much grounding in one area? That was my guess.

Anyway, all the lights work and it starts.

I am waiting for my seat to come back but i rode it for the first time since I tore into it. I used the clymer manual as the seat.

I'll post some pics on the project forum once the seat is on.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
sounds good and I'm covered anyway with my guess #1.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts