Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
woofheart,the first picture doesnt seem to be the same engine as the second picture.Still you have a great bike.

Flat black,(satin black and gloss black) is cool when applied with the, I dont have a lot of money,and It looks mean in black, attitude.I just hate seeing it, when someone, doesnt mask neighboring parts and gets it on cables and bolt heads,paints over grease and rust,lack of prep and detail when applying, it ruins the overall cool.

OCC and the gang become charactors,in a producers formula,I just think as characters in the show they should get paid like actors they are now.Vinny and Mikey are big parts of the show and I see junior show up to work in one upgrade ride after the other prowlers, hummers and the like ,doesnt seem like vinny gets anything more for his charactor .One show he got his roof fixed on his shanty.Seniors moved OCC what three times now,into larger spaces has cnc three axis machine, water jet cutters, cad programs .OCC has come a long way since thier first show with no tools compared to the state of the art, they have now.Same as all the other bike shows.

Bobbers ...and cafe styled bikes should be considered "In the style of" if they dont have the changes and mods that distinguish their unigue style.So it should be called This bike is "in the style of" a bobber .........or cafe racer.It does get you going when they call it what it is not ,because it keeps people out of touch with the truth and devalues the original Idea,which should be honoured.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
your norton is great. even better that you still own it. i love talking to guys that have had the same cool bike since before i was born!

very very cool

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Quicklimegirl your tank stain ,if you havent done anything more with it.your problem is your hand cannot do what a buffer can do .
that is break done the rubbing compound so it is fine enough fast enough to remove the stain.if its factory your clear coat is T H I N
And use nothing but Top line products ever LIke mequiares ,mothers ,believe me its not the name your paying for mequiares is my favorite. I have restored,rebuilt entire sports cars refinnished 19+ years of sports cars from bug eye Sprites to Lamborghini Muiras.And have built cars from scratch, chassis to english wheeling bodys .I KNOW.

You should only wet sand if your very experienced with the factory clear thickness(means you have rubbed thru alot of factory clear) or if you actually painted the clear coat on it, so you know how much is there.Other then that a very experienced body man buffer.
Or use meguiars specially formulated for HAND RUBBING products.

a wet sanding tip ,you need a rubber squeegy (available at auto parts stores,and a drop or two or DAWN dishwashing liguid in the bucket of water you wet sand with.Always wet sand, wet and soapy so the paper stays clean and squeegy freguently to see when to stop.
The problem wet sanding a thin finish is you HAVE TO buff the paint after wet sanding to get a shine.
You remove paint wet sanding then you remove more paint buffing .

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Joe c, Thanks. Come June of this year the Norton and me will have been friends for 40 years. And hopefully for a few more.

Lil bull, Same frame alright but different motors. The early photo has a 500 Manx engine and the photo from last year has a Weslake speedway motor in the frame. Great motor. Pushed the Norton to 124.900 in Sept. of last year.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Im always truely amased with people that can keep a classic so long .I just can not figure out the mind set .Because to me,mechanical things just go down hill from use,in the north east they rust to pieces ,in Cali they just wear out from being used so long.
I wish I could be one of those guys that can keep something for ever, I buy things restore them, then feel them wearing out every time I turn the key and in my mind even though I rebuilt everything, every working part, has a break in time,then a optimum usage time,then your on borrowed time till it needs to be once again replaced......a cycle of mechanica.
Its why to me its a feat to do what you have accomplished not only owning it ,but using it all these years ,my hat is off to you !

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
curious as to what happened and what became of the manx motor .

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. I've never worried about wearing it out. It does and parts get replaced. The Norton has been an everyday ride and raced over the years. I have been racing (nothing of note. Just enthusiasm.) for years and you get used to parts breaking. If you can't accept parts breaking or getting bent in falls then its best you don't go racing. The Norton has only been down twice in its life. Each time gently so its still straight. The Manx broke at a time when parts were unobtainable or unaffordable. Basically the taper broke on the crankpin and the crank flexed and cracked the crankcases. If I'd had $1800 to throw away I could have got new cases. But then, as pretty much now, there wasn't a lot of money to spare. I sold off the remains for about ten times what I paid for the motor. And I kept the carb., mag., and exhaust.
I never gave the length of time I've had it much consideration. Its just kinda been there a a lot of fun to play with. The current motor is the sixth motor to go in it. I've always had a secret desire to stick a Harley Sportster in it. Saw one years ago and it just tickled me. Haven't found an affordable one yet. I just hope I can go another 40 years. I know i won't be able to but its a nice thought.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Dresda built a featherbed with an HD sporty motor in it a while back. I think they can even sell you the frame setup to take the motor so you don't have to fab the mounts. Love sportster motors but I sometimes think they are too much for those old brit frames. even the 69 sporty frame was beefier than the same year commando and bonnie.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You could be right. I was over at Malcolm Smith's today and was looking at a newish Sportster. Those motors are pretty big lumps alright. Interesting looking front mount. I was and still am hoping to find an older Sporty motor. Which I'm sure is a fairly large lump too. Can;t help it. V-twins just look right in a featherbed.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
This faded piece of newspaper I've been hanging onto for years gives you an idea of what I have in mind. A product of the late Lance Weil. His price of 19,000 sterling equates to almost $37,000. A sum I have only in my dreams. But as I have most of it I figure if i could find an affordable motor I'd be home and dry.http://imageshack.us
If this doesn't post right don't yell at me. I'm very sensetive.

Edited by - geeto67 on Apr 07 2007 12:04:54 PM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
bill,

very cool bike indeed. lance would have loved to run his fingers over it, no matter if it was with a manx motor or in the current weslake incarnation. hope you and the featherbed make it east one day to mix it up with us in wera or the uscra.

cheers!

texy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i see two seperate things, when I look at that pic, one thing is all the cafe racer parts as a engineless frame and I see the Harley engine by itself.My eye wont blend the two together ,thats the first time my design eye has done that.I mean do you really want a buell,smirks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have always believed in a track machine and a performance street machine,being separate.Race im willing to sacrifice it all .But if i took a street performance machine and new I still wanted it for the street ,I wont give it my all because ,I wasnt willing to have the down time.But thats just me. I have always love the old factory teams that had a special built hauler ,with glass or open cut outs to see what your hauling,the hauler and the bikes or cars were built as a matching set.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
that weil pic uses an ironhead sporty motor. Nice motor but heavy for....wait for it....the iron heads. If you are going to do a cafe racer sportster based HD you need either a K, KK, or KR flathead motor (predecesor to the sportster) or an XR motor. The new buell motors are not bad either as they have more performance upgrades than the standard 1200 sporty. the other way I would go is big twin, if you could shoe horn it into a wideline featherbed, but it would have to be a nasty 120hp bigh inch (103-120 ci) twin to be worth the effort.

If you can find an XR frame and engine, you are better off using that as the base for a cafe racer, they handle pretty decent to start and the XR750 motor is a little rocket, espically with the alloy heads.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Should I be so lucky to come across an XR750!! I saw an article recently about Mert Lawill making "replicas" of his flat tracker. Uses current Sporty motor with special heads and looks gorgeous. My problem is the asking price. $26,000!!! It will probably never happen. The above will definitely never happen but the Sporty in my Norton will probably remain a dream.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I had avoided this topic because, well, the name annoys me.

Hoofhearted, beauty of a bike. Joe's comment exactly reflects my sentiments so I won't repeat them. 40 years together and you can still hit speeds like the one at Bonneville?! Not too shabby. Inspirational.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
ROSKO, I've been referred to by many names but never inspirational. So far its been a wonderful journey. Just wish I was starting out again. I built a starter for the Norton as my knees won't let me kick 14:1 comp with 35 deg. fixed ignition. So I reckon I can go for a good bit longer. The photo was taken at El Mirage dry lake here in SoCal. God's chosen spot around here.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
who here had the sporton? was it you scott? i cant remember but someone here had one and i remember seeing it. the lance thing is creepy in a cool way. weird eh tex?

whats cool is that someone can get something almost new if not new, and manage to hang onto it. something thats as cool as a manx or roadrunner, or gto. i want to smack my dad across the face sometimes because of all of the cool stuff he had when it was new and i was 2. i feel ya though bull. i feel the same way. but look at it this way....if youre like me, alot of the stuff you own is 30 years old or older. and it still runs down the road pretty good. my bonneville is 40 years old. my race bike is almost that. hell, even my roadbike is 30. and it has a disk brake! i at one point would have never thought id own a 30 year old motorcycle that i ride everyday, that has a disk brake. it just never would have occured to me 15 years ago. its very very cool. i hope youre buried with that bike. no one else should be allowed to own it. its yours.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I go to the jockey journal now and then. Somehow the Harley in a Norton came up. He pm'ed a photo of a Spoton he had. is this it?http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sporton1vw8.jpg

You know as we pass through this world things come our way and tend to stay. I look at the Norton and think I'm just a caretaker(or careabuser). I hope when the time comes to pass it on i'll give it to someone who will continue to use it, fix it when it breaks and get as much enjoyment out of it as I have. Before WW2 my Dad had an ex-works International Norton. I still haven't forgiven him for selling it. Just kidding. My Dad was the greatest. Taught me that Nortons are motorcycles. The rest is for getting to work.

Edited by - Hoofhearted on Apr 08 2007 12:13:30 AM

Edited by - Geeto67 on Apr 08 2007 10:22:05 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
here is Dave Degens Sporton, build up pics so you can see how to get a modern sporty motor in there but I know he finished it, just can't find the finished pics:

http://www.dresda.co.uk/bikes2.asp?CAR=44
http://www.dresda.co.uk/bikes2.asp?CAR=41
http://www.dresda.co.uk/bikes2.asp?CAR=40

I know he sells the frame ready to go for the motor so if you picked that up plus the sporty motor (or buell) you can then swap everything else over from your old norton.

surfing around on his site I found this pic:

it is a big twin motor (evo) in a modified dresda frame.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts