Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this CL175 a month or so ago and have been riding it for a few weeks. Not really sure what my goals will be with the bike as of right now, but I want to get a few things up to snuff on it before I start hacking it apart if I decide to do that.

Sprockets, what are the stock sizes on a 72 CL175? It seems that stock should be 16/38 based on what I can find in the parts microfiche but I'm not 100% sure. The bike needs a new chain so I might change sprockets as well. 16/38 gives a 2.375 final drive as stated in the 71 repair manual that I have. The bike currently has 17/43 sprockets on it, which is a 2.53 final drive. I dunno if I could do with less torque going with the stockers, this thing barely keeps speed up big hills as it is. Top speed seems to be around 70 and it can do 60 or so on a straight pretty decent at around 8k. If you have a CL/CB175 what are you running?

Gauges.. I know these things are cable driven, but how much should they really bounce around? I lubed the speedo and wrapped the tach cable as it was leaking oil since the plastic was all cracked. Still the speedo will bounce around with a range of about 8mph or so once over 45-50. The tach is much worse, over 7k it gets really fuzzy, there's no way to know where you are between 7 and 10k and that's an issue because I do need to get up there in the power to keep speed around traffic and up hills. The question is, if I get new cables will this get significantly better or is this just the nature of this old bike?

Rear shock/springs... where is a good source for new ones and what should the old ones support? On the highest setting the stockers that are on it will bottom out on hard bumps with just me (200lbs). With a passenger I need to go pretty slow and keep my weight towards the front on the bike, luckily my lady friend is only 100lbs so it's still possible. Right now I think it would be pretty unsafe with any more weight. I can't seem to find a spec for how much these things should be able to carry. If I get some after market setup and modify it to fit if I have to, I need to know what spring rate I should be looking at. So what have you guys done?

and while I'm here, know anyone selling a CL360? If I'm going to cafe a bike, I feel like the that's the one I want. I've found a few CBs, but the CL with the high mount exhaust is really the style I like. I'd do it to this 175 if it were just a little faster.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
854 Posts
the sprocket sizes you have on there (17-43) are stock to a 71'cb175. on my cb200 i ran stock and the thing was slow i just always stayed on it in the turns you never had to worry about the thing sliding out.

as far as the speedo's you will never get them to settle down. mine bounce about 2k rpm's and about 5-10 mph depending. just an old bike .and that was the best way to do it at the time.

with sespension i am a little clueless...i have been looking for the best and haven't found it yet. i have been looking in to a mono shock fab. sounds like a lot of work though.

well enjoy and welcome. you might want to throw in a little info on your self, kind of a meet and greet.

Later.

·
Registered
854 Posts
the sprocket sizes you have on there (17-43) are stock to a 71'cb175. on my cb200 i ran stock and the thing was slow i just always stayed on it in the turns you never had to worry about the thing sliding out.

as far as the speedo's you will never get them to settle down. mine bounce about 2k rpm's and about 5-10 mph depending. just an old bike .and that was the best way to do it at the time.

with sespension i am a little clueless...i have been looking for the best and haven't found it yet. i have been looking in to a mono shock fab. sounds like a lot of work though.

well enjoy and welcome. you might want to throw in a little info on your self, kind of a meet and greet.

Later.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just run the gearing that's on it. I doubt you'd notice much difference in the gearing change you mentioned, especially on the street. Just know that it will be slow up hills. Hey, it's only a 175.
Below is a photo of mine and my wife's '71 CL175's. I raced the red bike with the 160 crowd and took the blue one on a 400 mile back road ride around Mt. St. Helens last year. I'm 6'-4" 250 lbs. and they've handled it just fine.
Both guages on my wife's bike are pretty steady as is the original tach on my racer. If you're sure your cables are will lubed and the guages still bounce, it's likely an internal problem. The grease has probably dried out and is causing some drag. You could have them rebuilt, but it probably isn't worth the cost.
If engine oil is leaking near your tach cable drive, the seal inside the tach drive area needs replacing. There should be no engine oil in the cable, only a light amount of grease.
Hagon shocks are available for the CB160-175's. Dave Quinn motorcycles is the importer/supplier. When you order they will ask you how much you weigh and install the correct springs.

Welcome.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just run the gearing that's on it. I doubt you'd notice much difference in the gearing change you mentioned, especially on the street. Just know that it will be slow up hills. Hey, it's only a 175.
Below is a photo of mine and my wife's '71 CL175's. I raced the red bike with the 160 crowd and took the blue one on a 400 mile back road ride around Mt. St. Helens last year. I'm 6'-4" 250 lbs. and they've handled it just fine.
Both guages on my wife's bike are pretty steady as is the original tach on my racer. If you're sure your cables are will lubed and the guages still bounce, it's likely an internal problem. The grease has probably dried out and is causing some drag. You could have them rebuilt, but it probably isn't worth the cost.
If engine oil is leaking near your tach cable drive, the seal inside the tach drive area needs replacing. There should be no engine oil in the cable, only a light amount of grease.
Hagon shocks are available for the CB160-175's. Dave Quinn motorcycles is the importer/supplier. When you order they will ask you how much you weigh and install the correct springs.

Welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts