Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working a little bit on my RD350. My goal is to convert it so it resembles 1960 Yamaha YCS-1, one of the first "cool" bikes that Yamaha successfully imported into the USA. It is obscure, but still cool.

So I have been working on this red YSC-1 gas tank for a long time now. It had to be widened to fit my RD, and then welded back up. It turned into a mess because the tank's metal tore as I was stretching it.... Round and round we wrestled, and for a while I was wondering if it ever would be waterproof. But now it is all sealed up and I am happy with its integrity. Click pics for more detailed versions.

So here it is. Everything needs paint and dings still need to get worked out, etc, but you can get the general idea of where I am going with all this. The tank is actually correctly mounted, not just mocked up. I am going to keep this bike 2-up for a while so my wife and I can toodle around together, but I am going to make a new seat that follows the lines better. In Snorklefork's words: stock RD350 - boxy 1970's "star wars" look; things need to be more round and less angular to work with the '60s thing. I totally agree.

One more almost identical picture of the same thing. The bare end mirrors are Napoleons, the head light is an early '60s Ducati. I have a totally sick monoshock swingarm conversion that I keep fantasizing about.... but that is for much later. One of the things I am working on in my head is what to do with that little triangle that is now revealed between the new tank and the seat. I can't just add material to the seat I am building, because then it would not be able to pivot up around the tank. I'll figure something out. =)

Here is the 3-way adjustable rear gas tank mount I made. Works satisfactorily. [8D] There is a bracket on the underside of the tank into which this mates.

I tossed around a few ideas for how to make some tank mounts, and I finally decided on epoxied PVC pipe fittings. At first I thought that plastic would be a bit chincy/chancy, but the threaded mounts are absolutely bombproof, and I like how I can adjust them too.

One more pic of the same thing, showing off a set of sweet billet fuel shut off disconnects (both side) that I found. I got the set HERE. They are great, and made for airplanes, but they took forever to arrive in the mail. IF you look close you can see a spring in one of the hoses to keep it from kinking. I'll wrap these in safety wire later to help with the seal.

I still have an electrical gremlin to work out, then somebody work to reshape the side covers, and a seat to make. I also need a small speedo that will fit in the headlight. Then paint and all those many finishing touches, and it will be more or less done.

Peace and grease
-fang

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
very cool! funny you post this today 'cause i just thinking the other day where you might be on this project. thanks for sharing the update! i like it. i love that tank!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts