Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got everything mostly put together to see if the bike would finally start now that I've cleaned things up and got new cables.

I went to try and kick it over and it did the same thing originally that it did (i originally thought it was because of the clutch cable).

When you kickstart it (try to anyway...) the rear tire was to spin and the bike wants to move. Even when you pull in the clutch it still lurches forward. You stick it in neutral and of course it won't start in neutral it just spins.

So I see if i pull in the clutch if the bike will roll forward, no luck.

I took the cover off and checked to see if the plates were sticking, removed them, made sure it was all good and all was fine. Put the clutch assembly back together and went to kickstart it again and low and behold the rear tire still wants to move forward.

A friend told me "something is fucked up." i figured "no shit sherlock" and figured I'd post here for any suggestions. Not the clutch cable, it's new, the basket is moving when you pull it in (I took off the cover to check) and the plates don't seem to be sticking so I have no idea what it is.

My friend is coming over sometime and i'm paying him in beer to check it out. However, if I can get it working on my own I'd love to. Any ideas?

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

Edited by - koihoshi on Jan 15 2008 9:42:06 PM

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gearbox has never been apart, bike has been this way since i got it.

should i take the gearbox apart?

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Well first....what kind of bike?

Most bikes start in neutral...

Put the bike in neutral with the rear wheel off the ground and you should be able to turn the back wheel...if not...there's a problem in the gearbox, not the clutch.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my 1975 Honda CB360.

I do believe I can. I'll stick it on my rearstand tomorrow and give it a try. I know that if i stick it in neutral i can freely move the bike (roll it back and forth and walk it around)

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

Edited by - koihoshi on Jan 16 2008 12:41:06 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I am having a little trouble understanding the problem. If you put the bike in neutral and kick the lever without a hand on the clutch it should turn the engine over....if the rear tire is off the ground it will rotate some but should have no power to it.

If you put the bike in gear and pull the clutch in the kicker should just flop down without turning the engine.

With the bike in neutral it shouldn't move the rear wheel with any power regardless of whether the clutch is in or out.

Sounds kind of like you are trying to kick start the bike while it's in gear.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
yeah, me too. you can't have the clutch pulled in when you kick it. so that only leaves neutral.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel amazingly stupid. This kicker isn't like my other bike. In that bike you can have it in 1st, pull the clutch in and kick it and it starts.

In this one if I had it in 1st with the clutch in and you kick it the tire moves forward and I thought "WTF?"

I put it in neutral and thought it was "freely moving" but my kickstarter was actually off a bit and wasn't getting a full kick in. I took it up and re-adjusted so it's towards to top pointing up (which is where i see it should be) and the engine kicked over. I guess my neighbor has more oomph than me, I'm a little guy. The engine coughed momentarily so I think we're okay. I'll go out in a bit and try and start her and see what she does.

As we say it in computers: "It must be user error", the issue is on this end!

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

Edited by - koihoshi on Jan 16 2008 3:49:34 PM

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still not starting:

Ok so I got a new oil change on it (flushed the old stuff cause I wanted to look at the clutch basket).

Went to try and kick it over as you explained it and all I get is just a simple cough. Not a "chug-chug-chug" just one mellow "chug". ONCE in a while it'll give it a double go "chug-chug" when i try and kickstart it but it acts like it just isn't sparking or something is up. I tried to bypass the lame ghetto killswitch the previous owner put on there so I knew it wasn't the killswitch interfering still no go.

Took the spark plugs out and they look fine.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Put a new battery in it, with a full charge.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll pull the battery from my ninja 250 and give it a try.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
fuel, spark, compression. if you got a chug, don't type about it. Points and carb clean, she'll start. don't assume plugs look good, they'll work good. new plugs.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point. I have no idea where the last maintenance was done on this bike (which is why if something doesn't work I'm just buying new parts) so I'll get new plugs just to be safe. Haven't cleaned the carbs YET.

I'll go pull the battery out of my 250 and see if i get spark and put new plugs in it and see what it does then and will report back :p thanks for understanding my stupidity on the whole kickstart neutral thing. I've ridden bikes since I was 18 but never honestly owned a kickstart like this. My ONLY other experience with a kickstart is my Enduro (which is a 1974) but doesn't have to be kicked in neutral, it can be in 1st. I still feel stupid for not knowing that but at least you learn something new every day.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the battery! I just put the battery from my 250 in it SHE RUNS SHE RUNS! Open headers are loud as fuck! I love it! AHHHHHHHHHH!! GOD I'm happy!

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
regardless how easy it was, props to judey for nailing that one. fuckin' 360s. anybody who owns one long enough eventually learns shit about 'em the rest of the cycle world could never comprehend.

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, Judey, I cannot thank you enough! It is MUCH appreciated!

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
147 Posts
quote:
As we say it in computers: "It must be user error", the issue is on this end!
That's an "ID-10-T" error. I think we all get them once in a while.

Whatever! . . . I'll do what I want!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Wow! I'm the man. Who'd have ever thunk?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts