Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a KZ1000r S1, but only 37 were made and they are pricey. I have been collecting Z1 and a few KZ parts for ever.. I'm sure I have enough stuff to get pretty close to a S1/ Eddie Lawson #22 race bike, not a ELR. I have a brand new Redline Z1/KZ frame and a 1977 KZ1000p frame and engine with 5000 miles and a newly built 1075cc Race engine, also all the ELR bodywork. 18" front and rear Kawasaki 7 spoke rims, 18" front and rear 7 spoke magnesium rims, magneto's and exhausts. Eddie Lawson ran 7 spoke cast rims the S1's had 3 spoke rims. Any comments good or bad are welcome, No bone lines, hoops, UDF, billet bullshit Ideas. Also I already know that either engine I use will not make the 1000cc class rules, I'm going to trying to get as close as I can to an S1 as possibly. I have a lot of S1 pictures, looks like there will be a bunch of handmade parts. I still have a bunch of carbs to go through. I'm trying to identify the rear shocks, they might be Showa. 21765359_907798419373405_529138754767695273_n.jpg Right now the plan for the engine is use the 77, its low millage it runs great and is sound, pull the top end check everything then order new wiseco pistons 10:1, titanium retainers, springs, SS valves, shims under bucket tappets and wield the crank and check what I have for cams, port and flow the head. I would like to be in the 125-130 HP range when we Dyno it. I'm leaning towards the Redline frame, I think I'll give them a call to see what kind of steel they used when they built it. So there it is. This has been in the works for a while, time to get it started

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Looks like they liked to use 4130...

If I had a frame to build I'd use this stuff the car guys make roll cages out of...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4130 works for me. looks like it's going to be the Redline frame.
THIS IS NOT the bodywork, it's just on for some fit-up, it's 20 20 paint and the seat will be reshaped and covered. Back rim works as is just new spacers then work out the rotor and caliper, Front rim will use the stock axle, will need to make new ends to fit ZRX front end IMG_0460.JPG

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Do you ask how much or is it a one of those things where you pay whatever it costs? ;)

Would be interested in seeing the list of what was done to the engine!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you ask how much or is it a one of those things where you pay whatever it costs? ;)

Would be interested in seeing the list of what was done to the engine!
This is how we work, I tell him what I want out of the motor then he will get back with different options. I told him I want a full blown RR engine with an undercut tranny up and down. I will let you know when I get the shopping list. It is whatever it costs, I'm not saying that to show off or sound obnoxious it's because it's the first of 9 bikes that I might get to do for myself, 49 Indian F Track racer, 55 Triumph t100r F Track racer, 62 Norton 750 Road Racer(these first 3 were race bikes) 2 Seeley CBs, 78 Ducati as a M.H. bike and if I still have time 73,74 and 75 Z1 900. I've spent too much time doing things for others. Now some things for me😊

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If I recall correctly, the police frame already has some of those bracing, no?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I did my xs750 frame and swingarm. Braced the fk out of it. Never regretted doing it.

Everytime I take the bike out it makes me smile. I also have a kz1000 (79 I think)? Engine even though stock is strong. But you can definitely feels the flex in the frame accelerating/braking and hitting bumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I pick-up the 83 frame tomorrow, going to put the 1395cc J motor off one of the drag bikes in it, why because I can😛. This is a just for fun bike, it will never see the road. The motor gets shipped off next week for a checkup. Its fresh but it's has been sitting for a long time

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts