Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a basket case Norton that needs a fork. I'd like to graft on a something from a late model sport bike but I'm concerned that I won't be able to find a spoked hub with the right spaceing for the discs, bolt pattern, etc. Anybody know of a source for hubs that may have something?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
here is the good news...... the norton headstock is one of the easiest to graft most anything onto that you may want

if you are worried about wheel adaptations to just any fork

this tells me you do not have a lathe and likely do not have the know how to properly set up and measure in order to whip out one off spacers, modify axles, or whatever it takes

for years I have put just about whatever wheel hub and brake combo onto whatever fork set I wanted too

and forks on whatever frame I wanted to

it's really not that hard and but if you are wanting bolt on direct adaptation

just be prepared to be very limited in your choices and also to pay the long dollar for somebody else's work and possibly packaging such a "kit" for you

the first thing you need to own is a pencil and that paper lined with tiny squares

then you need to own a 20 buck set of digital calipers

then learn to do basic mechanical drawing

if you have questions and want to learn easy set up and transferring of dimensions

just ask as you go and I'll try to help

I've learned quite a bit about doing stuff like this and one hint is a cheap set of transfer punches or drill set is a huge help in getting a wheel assembly centered in a fork set in order to get spacing done well

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
HAckA is right. But hint is that if you stay with the same Mfg. for the forks and wheel you have a better chance of getting the discs and calipers o line up. Most mfg use the same caliper and discs across model lines so the keep the spacing of the roors and caliper mounts as constants.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah but.......

modern sport bike stuff isn't too common with spoke wheels so may as well just pick the stuff you like and can afford

then do the machine shop wedding

Harrison or is it Harris (brake company located in the UK) has a good cross reference chart for calipers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. No reason that Virago wheel shouldn't work on R6 front end, right? Think I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
a spoked virago wheel?

most anything can be made to go on anything if you want it to go

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The Virago wheel probably won't work on the R6 frontend, but might work on an FZ600 or FZR600 front end, if they are long enough to work on the Norton frame. You might need to look at FZ750 or FZR1000 forks for the correct length.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
oh it can be made to go for sure

it may not be bolt easy but I know it can be done

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great suggestion to use the same manufacturers fork and wheel. Late model R6 discs bolt up to the Virago hub (which originally had solid discs, amazing that they fit) and the correct caliper spacing should be easy to achieve.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
may I see this spoked Virago hub please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any way to show a picture without having it available in a photo bucket type account? Don't have one. Anyway there's not much to see. It was described on ebay as an 86 XV Virago 700 S wheel. The description may not accurate, don't really care. Dual discs on a spoked hub. 99-02 R6 discs fit it, 132mm boss, 6 holes on 150mm bolt circle, 298mm OD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got the stock calipers for the 03 R6 forks. May have to fine tune the spacing a little but it looks like it will be mighty close.
Didn't realize you could view closed items on ebay but you can. Here's a view of the Virago wheel. Ebay item 260268084194

1 - 13 of 13 Posts