Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been coming to this site just about everyday since I stumbled onto it and it has really gotten me interested in bikes again. I got rid of my CB 750 Custom about 7 or 8 years ago and now I'm considering getting another bike to play around with. Anyway the site is great, I really enjoy it.
Now the track question. I notice WERA and Ahrma have vintage races on there schedule for Carolina Motorsports Park and Roebling RaceWay in GA. I go to the superbike races in Road Atlanta but I've never gone to a vintage race. I'm going to try and check it out. Do any of you guys ever get down here to race these tracks?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i used to do kershaw when it was a race in the mid-atlantic region for wera sportsman. it is a great/fun track, except for the last three turns (track designer kinda ran out of room).

roebling is where i had my first race. it used to be the warmup round for daytona, and we be there every year. now ahrma goes to cmp/kershaw and wera goes to jennings gp. i haven't been back to roebling since then (guess it was 1999 or 2000).

road atlanta is a blast except for the new chicane that they put in for the litre bikes. nothing like approching the bridge, to the downhill and across the checkerd.

love the southern tracks, just hatin' the drives anymore. i'm from philly so i try to keep it at an eight hour one way maximum. vir, mosport, mid-ohio, and loudon all fit in that eight hour stretch. all the others i run at are much closer (summit, beaver, nelson).

get a bike, wire it, and give it a shot. you won't regret it at all.

texy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:

get a bike, wire it, and give it a shot. you won't regret it at all.

texy
Hey Tex,
Actually I meant to "watch" you guys race vintage. I'm about to turn 47 and I don't bounce too good anymore. I'm also an old man with little ones and they take up most of my time and money. Although I thought I read in the rules they have a CB 350 class that runs mostly stock which might not be quite as expensive.
I may need to try a track day or two to see how I like it but it sounds like a blast.
I guess what I'm blabbering about is, first I need to see if I have the "nads" for it. I've never been on a track. Unless its okay to just cruise around in the back of the pack waving at the girls with your new leathers on.

I'm close to Kershaw and Roebling so I'm going to try and catch some vintage races this year.
My dad likes sport car races and when I was a kid he took me to Savannah to see a Sports Car Club of America race and it turned out to be a non-spectator race. I was about 14 then so I don't remember the details but my dad and another guy who had also driven up for the race talked to some guy that worked at the track and he gave us some sort of pass that said we worked in the pits so they let us hang around and watch the races. We got to roam around in the pits and they even let my dad take his MG midget out on the track for a lap. So I actually have been on a track but I doubt any lap records were set with my dad driving. I'm sure it was a very small deal with no sponsered big boys out there but it was a big day for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
47!!! You are a youngster compared to many of the guys who race vintage. Some guys have been racing longer than that. Just try racing Master/ Super Master some day! As nike says.."Just Do It"

KCampbellNH

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
BoneFish,
Roebling road is a pretty good track. If you went to a SCCA race in Savannah then I am sure that is the track you must have gone to. Talladega GPR is actually a much better vintage track than either Roebling or Road A.
47? you are just a youngster. I am 50 and race a CB350. After I get out of AK (1 maybe 2 years) I am moving back to Georgia, hireing Tex as a teacher so I have a racing buddy and hitting all the clase tracks.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the guy who got me into racing 8 years ago was 51. hes still racing. i still have a hard time keeping up with him!!! there are plenty of old guys out there. and theyre still pretty fast!

jc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may start looking into racing but I have a ways to go. Since I started coming to this site I decided to start looking for a barn bike to try turning into a cafe racer.
Now you guys have got me thinking about race bikes.
I'll see how I do with the barn bike first, especially since my prowess as a mechanic is not so great. But I want to see if I can do it.
Ken, where in GA are you planning on moving and are you from there?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Bonefish,
I am not from there but I lived in Cherokee County, North of Atl, in the late 80's and early 90's. I will look to be in the Athens area. At least north of I-20 and east of ATL. My wifes brother lives in Athens and my brother lives in NC. Maybe after this school year or most likely after next. It depends on if I can find a good job sooner rather than later.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
453 Posts
believe it or not, as long as i;ve been into bikes i've never seen em race (except at the drag strip when i was racing my mustang) and i'm itchin' to see some races. i'm in columbia sc, are there any tracks in my area?

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey, I am in GA. Atlanta actually. I race a RD350 and an RS125 "Among Others" . I would say Barber is the best track in the south, with VIR the second best. As for being too old, I've been beat by many a senior citizen ;) Get out there!!

Cheers, A.D.
USCRA #889
AHRMA #889
WERA # whatever I decide that day...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Ok, so some of you guys who race are old, but how many of you actually started racing when you were old? Though not quite as old as BoneFish (I'm 39 - for a few more weeks, anyway), I too have thought about it. Same issues - Budget, kids, time. I'm in Detroit metro area & I do have a friend who races, not vintage, tho. And I probably have enough leftover cb350 bits to put together a racebike. BF, come try it out in Michigan - we can keep each other company while getting lapped over & over by the entire field. I'd be scared to race in anything other than a special "Have no idea what the fuck I'm doing" race.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i started at 36 and just finished my second year. and in just that time i've seen lots of guys older than me get started. mid 30s seems to be the young crowd.

tt

Edited by - ttilghman on Dec 29 2006 2:47:05 PM

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Bonefish,

I am going to be 52 and I hope to race this coming season for the first time. nf343vr sold me his 350 racer, and my total investment so far for bikes (the 350 and a 50)leathers and boots has been under $1K. I still need a proper helmet and gloves.

Now I just hope I have the cajones for it---thats one thing you CAN'T buy. If I discover I don't (doubtful but possible) I will give you a hell of a deal on a complete outfit!

There are lots of 50 yr old guys getting into this. Must be a midlife thing....

Jack

·
Registered
242 Posts
I didn't even sit on a bike until I was 45. When, at 54 I discovered that EVIL was racing, I figured if he could do it, I still had a chance. I'll turn 58 at the track during the Father's Day meet. Still don't know what I'm doing though. Oh yeah, my brother notTommy Hayden is older than I am and he started racing last year.
notNicky

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You race guys are like a contagious disease. I looked over the Grattan reaceway & Mid-Ohio websites. They both have racing schools & track days. My question about track days is this: What do people ride? I have (running at this time) '95 Triumph Thunderbird & '74 cb360. Neither is much of a racer. Can you just take any old bike onto the track? I also have a '72 Bonneville, but it's not on the road, nor will it be any time this year - maybe next year, tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So being an old bastard is no excuse huh? Well let me get a bike first, I have'nt ridden in about 10 years. I'm going to at least try and catch some vintage races this year.
JackC and Nicky are my heroes.

AD, what races do you usually make? Do you race Kershaw and Savannah?

Jude, okay I'll hang out with you.

JackC, I'll be pulling for you. $1000 in expenses so far does not
sound that bad. What kind of 350 do you have and how is it
set up?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
as far as track days, you can pretty much run anything, it just cant leak. most glass has to be taped. kick stand removed, number plate, and just very basic stuff. for race school, it can be a little more strict. if its a school, contact them, see what they want. let them know youre on a vintage bike. or ride something modern. if you run a vintage bike, keep in mind its going to get run alot! and if theres no starter, its going to get pushed, alot! the 360 would be a great bike to ride. less expensive to crash. some basic stuff could make it handle and go plenty well. tires, brake shoes, maybe a front end if you can. the important thing to remember is youre not racing. youre just out there to learn, at your own pace. so speed is not the objective. its learning and figuring out. also, somthing to remember is, if youre going to race, the track day is probably useless. you have to go to school. the track days ive watched id kill myself if i was in them. boooring, and its just about going around the track. racing school they give you things to learn and work on. and stay away from the school where you ahve to learn things to move into the class to get your license. go to the team hammer school, or ed bargy, or penguin, or one of those. i did the penguin school on my cb350 race bike. it ran all day. no problems, but i was seriously chasing the group. they were very cool with me though. when i was in front, even though i was topping out at maybe 75mph, they never rushed me. when i was at the back of the pack, the next group was passing me on the straight away though. but theyd slow down and let me back by to catch back up. i was one of 3 vintage bikes there. out of maybe 100. me, a guy on an mt125, which blew up, and a guy on a streetbike norton commando. it was some of the most fun ive had on the track. very very cool to get out there your first time.

jc

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Nothing's going to happen this year. No budget or time. I've got a street project half done that I'd like to finish this year. I'm seriuosly thinking about taking my kids to see some racing this year, tho. Grattan seems to be the closest track to me - about 2 hrs away. And they have a racing school, which is really much more appealing than a track day. Their website doesn't have much info, but I have a work associate who raced a Hinckley Daytona there. I'll definitely be talking to him about it. Gonna need to do much more research about what goes on in my area. As I said, I have a basketful of cb350 bits, including 2 frames & a couple motors - next year, who knows? As far as track days, I've never been on a track so I was wondering what they were about. My 360 is a 4000 mile original, showroom stock bike. Only bought it because it was too cheap to pass up. Hard to say which bike would be more embarrassing at a track day - that, or the "cruiser" T-bird. Anyway, I will be doing more thinking about racing, since you guys are horrible enablers. Now I'm gonna have to try & get it past my (pretty darn understanding - but everyone has their limits) wife.

Edited by - judeyramone on Dec 30 2006 12:07:19 PM

Edited by - judeyramone on Dec 30 2006 12:11:06 PM

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
JudyRamone,
Grattan is a great place to spectate and take a riders school. I have taught several of them there years ago and it is a good track to learn on. There are several vintage racers in the Detroit area that I could get you in contact with.
As far as a race/school bike, get a basic 350 together. It won't cost anything to get started and very little to finish. If you have a motor that runs and is in decewnt shape then put it in your best frame to get started. I would run a stock motor with the electrick starter to begin with. The extra weight won't matter until you get faster. You can get away with the stock wheels, brakes(don't listen to Branson until you get faster, then listen to everything he has to say about brakes), and front end. Get some decent rear shocks and Avon race tires or the Bridgestone BT45s work ok for a school. So far not much money but lots of time. We are full of advice here, or contact me via e-mail. I plan on running Grattan in June again this year and if Tex wasn't a scaredy cat(thats right Texy, I'm callin ya out), he would be there too. Otherwise, Gingerman isn't too far from you and you should consider taking in Mid-Ohio.

Ken

AHRMA 412

1 - 20 of 23 Posts