Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the spam is getting out of control. I'm having to edit the posts several times before it will allow me to delete the topic.

They are getting wise to the security holes here. I have a feeling it's going to get much worse.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, they wont delete, so there is something in the code that wont let it go. but yeah, i usually just go in, erase the post, and topic, then it will delete. id like to know how its done though. its kinda cool. and notice, they are getting pictures uploaded. so there is a server someplace hosting that stuff. makes ya wonder.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
So . . . . what does this mean when it gets REALLY bad? Can all the members and threads be moved somewhere else or is it starting from square one again? Cause it seems like this is gonna happen. Maybe there should just be a "topic" for spammers?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
it's a shame that stuff started out life saving the free world. my sister's partner worked for hormel for years...i'll see what she can do.
-parks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Spammers are an ongoing issue. I deal with them on a few of my sites as well. Hats off to you for dealing with the issue and making this forum such a clean and great place :)

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are a few basic things that can easily be done to help avoid/reduce spam on a message board.

1. use a CAPTCHA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha on the registration form.
  2. require a user to click a link in a validation email that is sent to them upon registration before they can post.
  3. add an arbitrary word field they must fill before submitting a post ie. "what is a four letter word for motorcycle" the user types in "bike" and then they are have proven they're a human.
  4. switch software to something that will let you use an Akismet http://akismet.com/ plugin that checks content of posts against known patterns for spam.
    </ol id=1>

None of these things are difficult to implement. So instead of complaining, whoever is responsible for this site should just do something about it.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I deleted a bunch this morning. What a pain. Gotta edit first. Is there a shortcut that someone knows about what needs to be edited first so as to delete it? I changed a few things and it didn't work, then other things and it did work.
Albanians. Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I was looking....but a couple of the pics on some of the span I was deleting looked to be underage girls....very very bad to even have those in your I.E. cache.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
104 Posts
captcha will do you very little good, naterkane. many MANY bots have gotten around them already.

Your 3rd suggestion is actually the best. I used it on one of my forums about a month back and have had absolutely no spammers since. You just make it a legit question that only someone pertaining to the forum would know, or hide the answer in one of the readable forums.

The spam bots submit their information in an electronic form, they do not actually see the form like we do, so it's pre-determined information. So if you can use a submitted field that is required to submit before they register, you'll be fine.

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/8256

That's the actual script i used for mine and then edited and modified it and has worked flawlessly.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
thats like saying, omg, look over there. horrible car crash...blood all over, body parts missing!

but i must resist. how bad would it be if that was found on my work computer history! you're an ass! hahaha

quote:
Not that I was looking....but a couple of the pics on some of the span I was deleting looked to be underage girls....very very bad to even have those in your I.E. cache.
JohnnyB
'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hey if we have to type in some sort of a code word, make it a code sentence instead. how about "geeto loves clubmans". i can remember that.
-parks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I wish you guys would stop being so PC and just leave the offensive comments up....I bet they were really funny....

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
someone else reposted it...i wouldn't know how to do it without re-typing it (re-"keyboarding" it in current jargon). musta been a spammer. they're after me...caferacer is the only chink in my e-firewall.
-parks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts