Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a PVL ignition on my stock 350 Honda.I have ordered NGK BR8 EIX plugs.The same heat range as I was running before. Would these be OK ? What gap do you use? Thanks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
lonewolf, i use stock plugs.

what happened with the plate? how did everything turn out??? are you running oil-less?

glad you got it to work!

jc

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe, I haven't made the bike run yet but,I just turned the plate around.The pick ups are on the inside.Buff said everything was set.I'll still check the clearance and since I don't have slots to adjust the timing I'll go with what he has it set up at. So stock plugs do work.hmmm No time or a seal to run the thing dry I'll try it like this and when the chance comes to get the work done I'll decide then.
Craig,glad you got the part. The post office said you should have gotten it on Saturday.Hope that you have time to install it.Would the engine work that you have done affect your plug choice?
I have two kitchens in the works now and both contractors called this morning wanting to know when. If I use the words motorcycle or race it may not be to my advantage next time I talk jobs to these guys.Fright, all I can think about is motorbikes!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I run stock plugs with my PVL too. All I do is index them with copper washers.

I've thought about trying to find some equivilant "fancy high tech" plugs. But to be honest I've never really made the study of plugs that I should. I just get NGK and change them every couple of races.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
iridium plugs totally rule

that is why most all bikes that make 3 HP/CID have them

and they are the next best thing to fast ignition rise time and enough current to weld with in order to prevent plug fouling with this miserable weasel urine currently marketed as pump fuel

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hack,
My RC51 has the Iridium plugs and they seem to work pretty good. Do you think a vintage engine would benefit from them in any way? Worth modifying the head to accept a suitable Iridium plug?
Seems like with the questionable combustion scenario in most vintage race bikes they could do with any help they can get.
JohnnyB

PS. Think there would be any issues running them with a Mag/CDI ignition?

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
The MT runs B9evx or something like that. . . gotta find some more . . .

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Yes Sir, they are totally worth doing whatever you have to do and they work like nothing else in the older lower performance engines that have puny ignitions, crude fuel metering/starting devices, and less than stellar chambers/ports

a mag or cdi loves them even more due to the faster rise times and higher energy

compared to conventional points ignitions anyhow

iridium plugs are named in many different factory bulletins to cure many modern bike problems and they surely work better in the older ones

ie...... Buell X1 with stubborn starting, plug fouling, erratic idle, poor throttle response etc

factory tech bulletin... says cure is iridium

it's worked on every bike I have tried them on and certainly cured that Buell which I would have sworn had computer problems

yes yes yes...... use them on anything you can cross them over to.....

my mag fired flatty is running them and the difference is amazing

set up several old bikes with them

same excellent results

I'm a believer

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
nice info

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hack,
Thanks...on that recommendation I think I'll try to find something that will work in my bike. Makes sense...I'm running a modern electronic Mag/CDI and using a 40 year old plug design.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Speaking of Iridium plugs. Anyone know where there is a list of NGK iridium plugs listed. I need a full list, not a "part finder". Since they don't make a matching plug to fit my bike I need to check their list so I can see how close I can come to a D8HA.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
JohnnyB,
It doesnt look good. I gave a cursory check ands didn't see a listing for the D series 1/2" reach plug. Could you use a 3/4" reach plug with a machined 1/4" thick copper spacer to give you the desired reach and be indexed? That is the best I can do for now.

Ken

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yeah I'm seeing the DCP7E which crosses over to a DCPR7EIX ....might work. Typically the index washers I use are about 1mm to 1.5mm. That's would help some.
Anybody got any thoughts on using a copper spacer? Lower 1/2" of the plug would still get the heat transfer it normally would with the OEM plug, the copper should do a decent job of transfer from the sealing washer to the head. Heck, I was using Stainless index washers for a while...and their heat transfer propperties really suck....they were quite thin though.
Come to think of it...both holes are heli-coiled too..that's not an ideal situation being that the coils are SS...hasn't caused a problem yet.
Might be worth a try. I guessing the worst that could happen would be I would destory the plug. Course if it dropped ceramic into the cylinder that would kind of suck.
JohnnyB

PS. Woohoo...just ordered IR plugs for the wife's little 70cc race bike. And a pair of the DCPR7EIX to check out in a spare head for the other race bikes.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've played with indexing plugs some years ago in very high compression (12:1 or so) Hemis and semi-hemis

I stopped doing it but what chamber/engine designs have you found good results with?

I am assuming it's something you feel is worthwhile and I am open to learning.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i used to have a 2.0L nissan motor with 25psi of boost on 93 octane. that motor would average about 2 months with copper core NGK plugs. I ran Denso iridiums in the late 90's in it and would average about 4 months. when NGK iridiums came down in price i started using them and they lasted about 4 months aswell. If the engine is pretty stock and not a high performer i have had great luck with the $1 NGK plugs. like my c10 pickup with stock 350. going on 20,000 miles no probs. my cb750 had NGK iridiums in it for about a month. they were a stop colder and didn't last for shit. i tried copper NGK and they lasted about the same. i stepped to the stock heat range and got an extra month out of them. so now i just run the cheapos in it and expect every 3 months to change them.
but in high power applications, like my nissan (500whp) it was worth it to run the iridiums. cured all of my high boost missfires. its really a thing where if you want to spend the money, and don't like changing plugs as often, do it. but the coppers are so cheap, i just buy boxes of them and keep them around.
Hack, you're a smart cookie, what do you think about that link to those capacitor plugs a few posts up?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Thanks I haven't had any hands on or even vicarious experience with them. I am intrigued even though something from my extensive electronics background about "no free lunches" has me a bit skeptical. But it does make sense assuming it's got a kick azz cap in there that won't lay down with the extreme heat and isn't leaky.

I'd like to try some just the same and feel like it's inevitable that I will make a purchase. Thanks for calling my attention to those, I had totally overlooked them.

I still have Champion Gold core plugs......... one set that is 20 years old and has outlasted many motorcycle engines.

Don't think they are easy to find these days and really wonder how they'd hold up with the boost insanity your rig subjects plugs to....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts