Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received these photos from Tom Mellor tonight. There is an early '70's Triumph 750 triple hiding under there. Tom usually roadraces this bike, but last year he rebuilt the bike to compete on the salt at the BUB meet. He set a new record in the Formula 750 Partially Stremlined pushrod class of 144+ mph. A few days later, after converting it back to roadrace trim, he spanked the field at the AHRMA event held at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah. Well, he's ready to do it all over again in just a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Dang!! Bret, who's plastic is that? That is one slippery looking beast.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That's cool. I'm diggin' the fairing shaped to the rider's leg and elbow. Does the rear tire "grow" at high speed, is that why the rear fairing is cut out that way?

FR

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
fr,

thought you would dig this "slipstream" flattracker that was at the NYCvinmoto show.....

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

I believe the forwward section is Air-Tech and the rear part is Tom's own creation or maybe something he modified. I'll know more about it when I see him in two weeks.

Cool tracker Tex.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm totally digging the idea that one bike does it all. Tom M. is an inspiration. as for the #11 tracker body work it made me wonder if the guy was planning a rollie free speed run. really cool bikes. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Wow. I'm not sure what to think of that. Sofa upholstrey on a psychadelic seat/tank with a really cool triumph underneath. I think I'd need to ride it around for awhile to see whether I like it!
Thanks Tex

FR

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by bcr

I'm totally digging the idea that one bike does it all. Tom M. is an inspiration. as for the #11 tracker body work it made me wonder if the guy was planning a rollie free speed run. really cool bikes. cheers, bcr
Here are a couple shots I took at Miller last year. Tom raced the bike at the salt flats Wed. and Thurs. These photos were taken around 10:00pm on Thursday evening just after Tom had returned from dinner and was beginning the transformation. That's Tom on the right and you can see the roadrace fairing and tank ready to go in the foreground. Before he had gone to dinner he had found a garden hose and removed all of the salt that had covered the bike. The salt condition was wet and sloppy last year and the bike had salt everywhere. He worked through the night to get it ready to roadrace. Everything but the motor and forward frame section was changed out. Forks, wheels, rear subframe and swingarm....everything. The next morning, after a little test run around the parking lot and a few adjustments, he had it ready for Friday's noon practice session.

BTW, the bikes in the background are some of the CB160's from Portland.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
where does bub or f.i.m. post the records of all the classes?

also a link to the rules for the classes?

thanks,

tex

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
quote:I'm totally digging the idea that one bike does it all
Totally agree. In an age of specialization, having one hammer in your tool box is brilliant.

And if that's not cool enough, after looking more closely at the pics in his shop; is this the guy that last year used a vintage Rolls Royce as his tow vehicle?

I remember reading an article on last year's meet, where someone was commenting that every year there's a guy who shows up, out of the blue; and blows everyone away- approach, execution, performance- the whole package. Last year this guy was it. Towing with a Rolls makes quite a statement. But nothing that he and his bike can't back up.

Deserves the Wili E. Coyote Super Genius Mechanic award keeping all that shit together.

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone interested in the current records, I was made aware yesterday that there are actually TWO sets of records. There are those sanctioned by the Southern California Timing Association, and a second set of records recognized by the FIM and AMA. The SCTA runs multiple events during the year held at El Mirage as well as Speed Week and the World Finals held at at the Bonneville salt flats. The BUB Meet bike only event held on the salt this coming week is sanctioned by the FIM and AMA. The SCTA does not recognize FIM or AMA records and visa versa. Kind of stupid in these days of precision timing equipment, GPS and such, but there you go.

The FIM and AMA records are here.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2008_event/rules-08.html

The SCTA bike records are here.
http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/Bonneville/BNIrecs_bikes.htm

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
From reading the SCTA rules online, it appears that one may race at Bonneville simply by becoming a member of the association. Is this true? If a neophyte showed up with a bike that passed tech, could he make a run, even if entirely unlikely to get close to breaking any records? I would never even expect to come close, but the thought of racing there has a lot of appeal. How many people run speeds in the 70-100mph range?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
To be a member of the SCTA you have to be a member of one of the 12 clubs that make up the SCTA. Many clubs have members that are "out of area". The other alternative is to join BNI(Bonneville Naionals Inc.). This allows you to race at SpeedWeek and World Finals. The United Salt Flat Racers run a meet there as well. Records set there are recognised by SCTA. I don't know if you have to be a member of the SCTA or BNI to run that meet. A lot of SCTA guys run it. BUB is run by Dennis Manning. Its basically a run hat ya brung meet. Their rules are different than the SCTA and records there are not recognised by the SCTA. To run on AMA or FIM records at BUB requires additional fees. To get FIM recognition is expensive. If you just want to run at Bonneville, go to the BUB meet. If you want braggin' rights go to SpeedWeek, World Finals or the USFRA (aka the Outlaw meet).

To answer Judeyramone's question. You can show up at SpeedWeek or World Finals and join the BNI on the spot and run. There are lots of bikes that run under 100mph. In fact a car at this years SpeedWeek set a record at 86mph. And a 50cc vintage sidecar that ran 57mph for a record. Thats one of the interesting aspects of Bonneville. You can be sitting in line on you 100mph 125 behind a 400mph streamliner and the driver of the streamliner will come up and talk to you about your bike. Its one of those cool places that you really have to go to at least once in your life. If you do go I would recommend an SCTA meet. You won't regret it but be warned, it is addictive.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I just had an e-mail to say that Tom Mellor's 750 Triumph pictured at the start of this thread cranked of a run of 182mph at the BUB meet at Bonneville. 182!!! On gas!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Everybody who rides or races a bike accepts the possiblility of death or injury. I think street riders more so. What makes me want to know more about this crash is the fact that Cliff was in a streamliner with roll cage, 5 point harness, etc. yet he died. A week earlier Jason McVicar had the rear tire of his turboed 'Busa blow and spit him off at 244mph yet he came away uninjured. This does not make sense.

It is still something you have to do. If you cannot accept the risk don't do it. The prblem is its very addictive and risks tend to get pushed into the far corners of your brain. But in reality its safer than road riding.

God speed Cliff. R.I.P.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts