Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so tomorrow i get to go to court for my first speeding ticket in 15 years. well, one thats traceable by my insurance co. 81 in a 60. should be fun. i only have one other moving violation, a seatbelt ticket, and that might even be off my record at this point. woohoo. cant wait.

jc

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good luck in court. I've been there more than once. I don't know the laws in Baltimore but in PA I don't think seat belt tickets are considered moving violations. At least we don't get points for them.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
joe,

i fought three tickets this week. inspection expired, emissions expired, and failure to produce insurance card.....

$700+ total. i went down to the city and proved i had insurance and that i finally got my van inspected, etc....

they fortunately dismissed all three.

hope you have the same luck.

call me bitch!

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Joe,

It's kind of late but if you can talk to the DA before the court session ask if the speeding ticket can be reduced to an 1110A. At least that's what it is in NY. This is a non-moving violation for some kind of crap that still allows the township to get their money but doesn't put points on your license or cause a hit to your insurance. Up here the smaller town's DAs always seemed quite receptive to that since the speeding ticket money was going to Albany but these 1110A ticket $ stayed with the township. Since you havn't had any problems for 15 years it's worth a shot.

And don't tell any lawyer jokes before you ask for the reduction.

Craig

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
And remember, don't lie to the judge. He gets tons of people every day that whine and lie to him. Those people get bigger fines. And the judge will always believe the cop over you. So don't lie.

And dress nice. Be polite. Best case is that the cop won't show up.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pbj'd, 75 bucks, down from 160 for the ticket. exactly what my dad said theyd do. the judge was a pretty funny guy. it was fun watching people lie, then get busted by the cop and judge.

judge "how many points do you have?"

def "i dont know, not many"

officer "youre honor when i cited the defendant, at the time, she had 5 points"

judge "why are such a horrible driver?"

one guy was caught doing 96 in a 55. in a vette. the judge looks at him and goes, "you know what they say, expensive cars, fat cigars, means sooner or later, youre going behind bars."

he was actually ok. i dont think i saw him stick anyone with points. at most he reduced everything down to one point. of course of eveyone i saw, i had the lowest speed. damned...im even slow on the street!

jc

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
philly has an officer liaison in traffic court. that person represents all of the citing officers, to reduce overtime, and keep more manpower (cops) on the street.
They do that in MA as well. Which in my opinion should be illegal. You need to be able to face your accuser. And a liaison officer isn't a witness. But then, traffic court isn't real court...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
just paid for one in florida 165dollars 66mph in a 55 mph zone (yeah right, I never see anybody going 55 on that highway, ever)(well, except for me, as I lick my wounds, havent had a ticket in over ten years )I was just going down a empty highway ,south bound, a state trouper in heavy, backed up, north bound traphic,he was moving in it,not stopped but driving North in the traffic! turned thru the medium and came after me . Their new radar system(which he was very proud of) that can track your speed even while they are driving toward you or away from you .....CURSE TECHNOLOGY...DAMN YOU COMPUTER NERDS!!!!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - lilBull on Oct 28 2007 09:11:07 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wanna feel better? just be glad you aren't in my friend's shoes:

gets stopped at 5:30 am for changing lanes without signaling. Cop issues him a field sobriety test which he passes. Breathalyzer indicates he is well under the legal limit but he still has some in his system (he blew a .033 and the limit is .08). Aside from the lane change the cop really can't nail him for what he was hoping for. I also think the cop was annoyed because this was a young kid (24) who was driving in his mom's brand new bmw 5-series at the time. After he passes the Breathalyzer he gets a little "cocky" with the cop insisting he be let go, so instead of getting a failure to signal ticket he gets a "reckless driving" misdemeanor. sucks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
And the lesson for todays story is . . . never get cocky with a cop.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well....they are usually the ones with the guns....

jc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts