Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. I have a 01 W650 as a second bike and really enjoy riding it. Its in great shape, but the spokes look like crap. Nobody seems to make a "replacement kit". Would like to go with polishes stainless steel. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Buchanan's is the go-to place for spokes.

If you send them the wheel they'll lace and true it for you too.

Reactions: Teazer

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
They make plastic spoke covers or spoke skins in a variety of colours if you just want to cover them up for about 40 bucks per wheel.

Looks like crap, how so? First task should be to determine the construction of your OEM spokes and how are they failing ... stainless steel is just an alloy of iron that contains somewhere between 10% and 20% chromium. If your spokes are not stainless steel already, then they are either zinc or nickel plated over steel wire, otherwise they would rust and pit like crazy. Are your OEM spokes just dull finished, rusting, showing copper colour where they have been polished, or is a surface coating literally pealing off? If they are just dull all over then you are probably looking at zinc coating. Zinc is the cheapest of the bright finish coatings that could be applied, followed by nickel and then chromium plate being the most costly and brightest finish to apply on steel. What you can do to improve the finish on the original parts depends on what materials you are working with.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Welcome

I turned this rim with rusty ugly spokes into a nice cleaner rim with zinc plated spokes using the Eastwood zinc plating kit. Super easy but time consuming. It may be an option for you.......and the results are rewarding.

The Caswell Kit......which I have........will give you superior results to the Eastwood kit but it's much more time consuming and a different process.... and to get everything up and running correctly a lot more money.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Good luck

·
見る
592 Posts
Welcome

I turned this rim with rusty ugly spokes into a nice cleaner rim with zinc plated spokes using the Eastwood zinc plating kit. Super easy but time consuming. It may be an option for you.......and the results are rewarding.

The Caswell Kit......which I have........will give you superior results to the Eastwood kit but it's much more time consuming and a different process.... and to get everything up and running correctly a lot more money.

Good luck
Impressive!

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
There are many home plating videos on Youtube - I haven't tried any yet, but I'm pretty keen to give it a go. I like the look of your results with the bought kit - which is unavailable outside the US.
Strange, there is nothing in the caswell zinc plating kit considered dangerous for shipping, but the kit does contain a power supply that expects N.A. (110Volt AC @ 60 cycles) power connectivity, chances are that is why you can't order a kit direct from USA.

·
見る
592 Posts
Strange, there is nothing in the caswell zinc plating kit considered dangerous for shipping, but the kit does contain a power supply that expects N.A. (110Volt AC @ 60 cycles) power connectivity, chances are that is why you can't order a kit direct from USA.
I don't know, mate. Maybe the solution is considered to be a hazardous chemical to ship.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Kits are only for convenience anyway, the chemistry used to zinc plate is electricity, the anode is just zinc, the cathode is the part you want to plate and the chemicals used is acidic water and pickling salt.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
There are many home plating videos on Youtube - I haven't tried any yet, but I'm pretty keen to give it a go. I like the look of your results with the bought kit - which is unavailable outside the US.
Trials is right......for the most part a zinc anode and some electrolyte are the main things.

We purchased the Caswell kit many moons ago to do some fasteners and hardware from an old Bultaco….. all those fasteners are stamped bulltaco, etc....we wanted a premium finish. With the Caswell kit not only is the zinc plating superior but you can use colored chromates to give it that real OEM finish. With the kit though you need a good metered/adjustable power supply....batch heaters...agitators....a more specific chemical process...temperature & timing are important....fans if you are using chromates and to get the most out of it you should plate an entire batch of tidbits at one time. That's the thing with me… I don't like to disassemble an entire bike and put it all in boxes and plate everything at one time. I personally like to work in sections.....getting one section done at a time and then moving on to the next and with that process in mind the Eastwood kit is ideal.

For most stuff all you need is 2 D batteries (3V)...electrolyte and your plated item and a zinc anode.....which is cheap on Amazon. You don't need a heater....no fancy power supply....time is not that important….. and if you feel the need for agitation (which I don't believe I ever used with Eastwood) stick an aquarium air pump in your electrolyte…. Done

I've been working on an old Honda 200X and have been using Eastwood method on everything.

Wood Tool Auto part Metal Font

Hand tool Auto part Tool Pipe wrench Electric blue

White Silver Automotive tire Audio equipment Auto part

Wood Font Hardwood Auto part Label

1 - 12 of 12 Posts