Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently started converting my 2007 XL883R into a cafe style bike. Definately a heavier sort of bike to go this way with, but I have just gotten to love big inch v-twin torque.

I'm trying to do this one step at a time so that I can keep riding, this is my only bike right now, so I'm not gonna do a complete teardown all at once.

So far mods from stock go as such:

High flow air intake
Bored engine from 883cc to 1200cc
High compression pistons
High tensile cylinder studs
SE race gasket set (top end)
H-D EFI race tuner and software
H-D race clutch
Jeggs oil cooler
ThunderHeader exhaust (yes it's abnoxiously loud, but noticably higher HP on the dyno vs. 3 other exhausts I tried)
Roland Sands clip on bars
RSD Speedo housing/headlight mount

I thought I'd post a couple of pics up here to get some feedback and advice on where to go with it next.... Obviously the rear fender and seat need to be changed, but I don't mind a little input.

Anyway, check it out at flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
this will either be really good or really bad....

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
this will either be really good or really bad....

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
it's really hard to post pictures using facebook links, especially if your facebook account is set up private. need to use url tags, but again.....it isn't gonna work in this case. to get the img tags to work.....host those picks to a flicr or photobucket account.

cheers,

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
it's really hard to post pictures using facebook links, especially if your facebook account is set up private. need to use url tags, but again.....it isn't gonna work in this case. to get the img tags to work.....host those picks to a flicr or photobucket account.

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
422 Posts

There are certain angles where it looks good and others where it bothers me. What really gets to me is the gas tank, particularly from the side; With all the contols lowered and cleaned up, it looks like its just perched there haphazardly. I don't know what can be done about that, you could potentialy make the tunnel that the backbone runs down deeper sinking the tank down, but you are losing some volume at that point. Maybe a different tank? The swingarm just looks spindly with the 1200cc overbore does it need bracing? What about suspension? And the guys are right it can't be too comfortable I don't even know if rearsets are possible on that bike.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Back in the late 80s local HD shop built a 1200cc 883. It was pretty snorty, want to say it ran 11.20s. Which, in the real world was fast back then.

I've thought about doing similar to what you're trying. Motorcyclist built one back in the day when there was the AMA class. Don't remember what it was called, the Tripp Nobles deal.

I didn't even know that Storz still makes that stuff, cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike pulls hard without a doubt. Dyno testing showed a max of
74lb/ft torque and 72hp at the rear wheel. I've never ran a timed quarter mile, but it would be interesting.

I think the storz rear sets are gonna be next. The bike is ridable with the stock mid mounts, but it unweights the rear wheel a bit making twisting the throttle in the corners a little spicy.

The cofort isn't to bad though, I put just shy of 400 miles on it last weekend, of which 120 miles was all in one shot.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Got news for ya buddy.....it aint the controls makin it "light" in the rear. The balance of sportsters has always been front biased.

I can't imagine the damage you are doing to your spine riding that shit heap. You may not feel it now, give it a year, you'll feel it for sure.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts