Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my brakes on my bike still squeak a high pitched squeal every time i apply the brakes. i deglazed my rotor and my brakes are definitely broken in. the harder i press the breaks, the lowers the squeaking. so its usually lower speeds and softer breaking that make the worst sounds. any thoughts on what could be causing this still? its the original rotor so wondering if replacing that could help?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Brake squeaks or squeals do not come from brake lining to rotor contact, but from the metal area of the pad contacting other metal. Any area where the metal portion of the pad contacts any other metal needs a bit of grease. Typically this would be the back area of the pad where there is piston contact, and the edges of the pads anywhere they touch inside the caliper. Clean any brake dust and grime from the inside area of the caliper with a small wire brush, then apply a film of grease with a small paint brush. Do the same to the edges and rear of the pads. Reassemble.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Brake squeaks or squeals do not come from brake lining to rotor contact, but from the metal area of the pad contacting other metal. Any area where the metal portion of the pad contacts any other metal needs a bit of grease. Typically this would be the back area of the pad where there is piston contact, and the edges of the pads anywhere they touch inside the caliper. Clean any brake dust and grime from the inside area of the caliper with a small wire brush, then apply a film of grease with a small paint brush. Do the same to the edges and rear of the pads. Reassemble.

·
Registered
838 Posts
And use a quality high viscocity grease to help it hold up in the heat and keep it from washing away in the wet. Boat type wheel bearing grease works well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
And use a quality high viscocity grease to help it hold up in the heat and keep it from washing away in the wet. Boat type wheel bearing grease works well.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You do have the nylon washer in place on pad?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The one question no one has asked - do your pads have metal imbedded in them? metal on metal = squeal

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I dunno, never had that problem with bronze wires/'sintered' EBC or Ferodo pads on my crappy old Honda's (although they do glaze over real easy if your gentle on front brake)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts