Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why are the srs more popular to build than xs400's for track racing? i always understood that more cylinders at the same displacement meant better performance. deus and stinky all use sr's also. the frame and everything look about the same. whats the deal?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I imagine weight is part of the equation

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The big singles have great torque compared to the twins, and as Swagger say's, they're lighter and narrower. If you're talking about Flattrack racing, they're tough to beat for anything close to the same money, and there's tons of performance stuff available. And the stock frame can be modified pretty easily to be competitive.

FR

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm with FR and Swagger.
More cylinders does usually mean more horse power for a given displacement. But that does not necessarily translate into faster, especially on a dirt track. The 2 valve single yamaha is about as flexible and tunable a motor you could ask for. Just megacycle makes 5 or 6 different cam profiles, and at $120 per you can play with it a little. I built mine to a modest tune and it rocks when you wick it. FR's is off the hook, that thing will hold off a big bore rotax on the straights. Plus you get in on the gold star-manx - velocette vibe. tough to beat in my opinion.
cheers, bcr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts