Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd get around to posting my CB350 "stocker" bike build, built last year. Half way through building it for myself, Larry Macoskie wanted to buy it from me, so I had finished it to his specs. Larry had a bum hip, so he requested the lower stock foot pegs. If you race with AHRMA, this bike will then fit into Historic Production, which requires stock foot peg location. Unfortunately, the rules as written are a bit ridiculous, as anyone who has raced a bike will tell you that there is never enough ground clearance with the stock foot pegs. AHRMA allows engine building, but Larry wanted the reliability of the stock engine, and concentrate on his riding.
The engine started with dis-assembly, cleaning, inspection and bead blasting of the castings. The crank oil groove/sludge trap was cleaned, the crank checked for true on V-blocks and a dial indicator. New rings in a re-honed cylinder and reused stock pistons. Head has a fresh valve seat job and new valves.
The engine was assembled with new oil seals and gaskets, with a Ken Miller slipper camchain tensioner.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The stock forks were rusted on the upper stanchions, so a pair of 33mm forks from a CB350F with matching triple clamps went on. Clubman handlebars. Steel strap bars welded for seat mounts across the sub frame.

I turned out a oil seal block off plate to run the PVL ignition dry:

Fresh race Avon tires on aluminum rims laced with NOS spokes. Front brake is the reliable Honda CB77 drum.

Larry is getting along in years, so the kickstarter is retained with a removable lever. Headpipes are stock with small ID.

PVL single coil with built in Ignitor modules fit under the fuel tank;

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock forks were rusted on the upper stanchions, so a pair of 33mm forks from a CB350F with matching triple clamps went on. Clubman handlebars. Steel strap bars welded for seat mounts across the sub frame.

I turned out a oil seal block off plate to run the PVL ignition dry:

Fresh race Avon tires on aluminum rims laced with NOS spokes. Front brake is the reliable Honda CB77 drum.

Larry is getting along in years, so the kickstarter is retained with a removable lever. Headpipes are stock with small ID.

PVL single coil with built in Ignitor modules fit under the fuel tank;

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Johnny B.,
The J-head Bridgeport dates from 1956, My restoration from 2005. The anvil is my grandfather's from the old family farm, the lathe is actually a "flat bed" Atlas from the 50's. All get used often!

My home made three phase rotary converter, under the slip roller, started as a donor motor from Uch.

Here is the bodywork mock up before painting. My own seat mold has made 7 seats so far...

Larry's bike gets my old "V1" megs, rebuilt and on shortened headpipes. Sidestand gets removed later.

With Larry's race team colors:

Timmy, are you accusing me of being a grown-up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Johnny B.,
The J-head Bridgeport dates from 1956, My restoration from 2005. The anvil is my grandfather's from the old family farm, the lathe is actually a "flat bed" Atlas from the 50's. All get used often!

My home made three phase rotary converter, under the slip roller, started as a donor motor from Uch.

Here is the bodywork mock up before painting. My own seat mold has made 7 seats so far...

Larry's bike gets my old "V1" megs, rebuilt and on shortened headpipes. Sidestand gets removed later.

With Larry's race team colors:

Timmy, are you accusing me of being a grown-up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Photos at the track:

Larry has decided to sell his FCB and move up to 500 Premier for next year.

The bike has a new head gasket since Mid-Ohio, when it was leaking a little oil. Tires are still fresh, and the fuel tank now has a fuel stain, Larry says that a fresh paint job on the tank is included.
Larry won Production Lightweight at Daytona this year, both days, plus second at Roebling!

Asking price is $3000 call Larry @740-746-8908 Columbus, Ohio area.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Photos at the track:

Larry has decided to sell his FCB and move up to 500 Premier for next year.

The bike has a new head gasket since Mid-Ohio, when it was leaking a little oil. Tires are still fresh, and the fuel tank now has a fuel stain, Larry says that a fresh paint job on the tank is included.
Larry won Production Lightweight at Daytona this year, both days, plus second at Roebling!

Asking price is $3000 call Larry @740-746-8908 Columbus, Ohio area.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yep, Atlas, I should have known that ... I knew it looked very familiar. You should come over and restore my 57 J head. It works good...but has a thou or so of wear in the middle of the X travel. Has a set of those original work lights in excellent condition.

Good anvils ain't cheap these days.

JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts