Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Yep, Atlas, I should have known that ... I knew it looked very familiar. You should come over and restore my 57 J head. It works good...but has a thou or so of wear in the middle of the X travel. Has a set of those original work lights in excellent condition.

Good anvils ain't cheap these days.

JohnnyB

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
That looks like McMaster-Carr supplied stuff. Course I had to order ten different kinds before I found the stuff that looks like that.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The seat foam is from an old supply bought at a fea market in NJ, years ago. JB- give us a part # for the McMaster foam?. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The foam is cut with a single edge razor blade, then edges rounded with a belt sander. Looks almost like black suede. I glue with 3M spray glue for interiors.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
so stan.....when are you going to show up at summit, and show us all how slow we are, on one of your stockers??

i know we're all freaking looking forward to it!

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Stan, my last order was this stuff:

85175K65

Order a small amount first of course to see if you like it. I remember trying something I liked a lot as far as hardness goes, and look goes, but it tended to crumble and tear on the edges. Can't remember if this stuff was the "crumbler" or not. But it conformed nicely, had the right cushion and looked good.
I started attaching it to the seat with a high quality thin black doubled sided carpet tape, name brand stuff, again can't remember which brand, but it held on surprisingly well and would still allow removal if you really needed to.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
193 Posts
Question it you dont mind...

I like the look of the blasted engine, and want to do that myself, But heard it can stain easily just being blasted and left "untreated"?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
quote:Originally posted by eboggs

Question it you dont mind...

I like the look of the blasted engine, and want to do that myself, But heard it can stain easily just being blasted and left "untreated"?

If the cases are blasted with sand, the finish will have a rough finish from the sharp-edged sand crystals, and will pick up dirt easily. I use a "medium" glass bead media- tiny spheres that peen the surface mostly smooth, almost shiny. My cases look good and clean very easily, even years later.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
quote:Originally posted by joe c

so stan.....when are you going to show up at summit, and show us all how slow we are, on one of your stockers??

i know we're all freaking looking forward to it!
Joe,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still trying to get out to more races...I have a problem of working more on other people's bikes, instead of my own! A hazard of my profession.

Stan

21 - 31 of 31 Posts