Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've noticed on occation when I press the starter and turn a little bit of throttle my bike makes a rattling sound somewhere beneath the gas tank. Thats really the best way i can describe it. It does not happen after i get the bike started, only when applying throttle when starting the bike. Any thoughts on what to check for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
MICE? :D

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I suspect the starter one way clutch is slipping. It is behind the alternator rotor on the left end of the crank. Those early Honda clutches can crack the housing, collapse the roller springs, get loose screws or flatten rollers, not to mention a loose starter chain.

Ken

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

I suspect the starter one way clutch is slipping. It is behind the alternator rotor on the left end of the crank. Those early Honda clutches can crack the housing, collapse the roller springs, get loose screws or flatten rollers, not to mention a loose starter chain.

Ken
is that something that is fixable or will it need replaced - if that is the case?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
That depends on what is wrong and how you define fix. It could be as easy as the three oval head 6mm screws holding the starter clutch to the rotor are loose. The fix is clean, loctite and reinstall. It could be the main starter clutch piece is cracked, in which case it needs to be replaced, probably along with the springs, rollers and caps. But who knows if that is even the problem, it was just an internet guess based on likely probabilities from a poor description of the symptoms. If it was mine, I'd pull the left engine cover and rotor off and take a look. It should only take about 5 minutes. You do have an alternator rotor puller, don't you?

Ken

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yep, the roller clutch thingy isn't catching.
Listen to Ken. You may need another starter clutch gear, along with the rollers, plungers and springs. The snout on the gear becomes slightly notched, not allowing the rollers to grab.
It's the red business on #2 that gets effed up...

NE

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yep, the roller clutch thingy isn't catching.
Listen to Ken. You may need another starter clutch gear, along with the rollers, plungers and springs. The snout on the gear becomes slightly notched, not allowing the rollers to grab.
It's the red business on #2 that gets effed up...

NE

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i'll go in there and check it out tomorrow.

i do not have a rotor puller. can i get one from somewhere like advanced auto or like store?

my friend recently cracked his rotor using one. for all i know he could have been using it wrong, but anything i should be aware of so i dont do something similar?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i'll go in there and check it out tomorrow.

i do not have a rotor puller. can i get one from somewhere like advanced auto or like store?

my friend recently cracked his rotor using one. for all i know he could have been using it wrong, but anything i should be aware of so i dont do something similar?

·
Registered
586 Posts
You need a specific type of puller to remove the rotor. NOT a three fingered puller thing. That'll fuck things up.
This is the K&L Supply part number...

Or find a 16mm x 1.5 bolt

NE

·
Registered
586 Posts
You need a specific type of puller to remove the rotor. NOT a three fingered puller thing. That'll fuck things up.
This is the K&L Supply part number...

Or find a 16mm x 1.5 bolt

NE

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I think your rear axle may be the right thread for the rotor. Take a look.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I think your rear axle may be the right thread for the rotor. Take a look.

Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts