Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as a new member who is about to be made redundant at Christmas, I am looking for advice as to what bike to start a project with !
With the wife watching soaps from 6pm till 9pm each night, I have three hours daily to start my first attempt at a cafe racer. I am in no rush and just want to do a good job without breaking the budget. Any suggestions please, bearing in mind I have a 1997 GPZ500S sitting in the garage that o lyneeds replacement fuel lines to pass yet another mot.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Considering you are about to make redundant at Christmas, how about spending all that time and money on your 1997 GPZ500S, or is that what your wife said ? :| oops

and What are you looking for in a cafe racer that your current bike lacks ?
… not to mention all the other stuff like do you weigh 300 pounds and live next the autobahn, etc.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You should go to the new members section and introduce yourself......like first name...any bikes you currently or previously...your skill sets...etc. your riding ability is important as well. You know...proper introduction.

Since we don't know anything about you and based on your question I'm assuming you don't know a lot so I would suggest a Royal Enfield GT. It comes from the factory like this. Then little by little you can ride it....familiarize yourself with it...find the things you like and don't like about it. Then you can begin to "make it yours" with accessories, cosmetics...things like that. Good luck.

image.jpg

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Probably not the best idea to start throwing money at a project bike when you know you're going to be made redundant.

Since you said MOT I assume you are in the UK? Maybe steveo and Mark B might chime in with some ideas of what's good value for money in the UK at the moment.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
It means you are being laid off work because your job has been made redundant.
Redundant also means a backup in case of primary failure, but still in place. If he has a budget I don't see why losing your job stops everything. That's why I didn't know what he meant.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Redundant also means a backup in case of primary failure, but still in place. If he has a budget I don't see why losing your job stops everything. That's why I didn't know what he meant.
He's about to lose his job and has a wife on the couch. The words "No - you already have a motorbike" aren't far away...

And he said "without breaking the budget" which is very different from "having a budget". IE it's code for "I think it should only cost half as much as it actually will cost"

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
He's about to lose his job and has a wife on the couch. The words "No - you already have a motorbike" aren't far away...

And he said "without breaking the budget" which is very different from "having a budget". IE it's code for "I think it should only cost half as much as it actually will cost"
Wasn't it you that said "triple the budget and add 10%"? You can't break a budget if you don't have one.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Wasn't it you that said "triple the budget and add 10%"? You can't break a budget if you don't have one.
I might have said that - but that would have been the older "already-spent-too-much-money-on-non-running-bikes" me as opposed to the younger "so-what-if-it's-not-running-it's-only-$300" me.

When a new guy comes in and talks about "not breaking the budget" you pretty much know his idea of a budget is going to be nowhere near realistic.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hi all, as a new member who is about to be made redundant at Christmas, I am looking for advice as to what bike to start a project with !
With the wife watching soaps from 6pm till 9pm each night, I have three hours daily to start my first attempt at a cafe racer. I am in no rush and just want to do a good job without breaking the budget. Any suggestions please, bearing in mind I have a 1997 GPZ500S sitting in the garage that o lyneeds replacement fuel lines to pass yet another mot.
You didn't give too much away in the intro regarding your budget.
FZR's seem to be a fairly good buy. The one in the pic is on ebay for £900. I'm not suggesting making a "cafe racer" with it, but it might make an interesting reasonably priced project.
The other pic is a project which I nearly bought myself a few days ago, it's a Steelheart engineering frame with a CBR600 engine, ZXR front end, VFR swingarm. The seller wants £1400 for it, so not exactly cheap, as there's still lots to do/spend, nonetheless it would make an excellent project.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
that was me. i'm a fan of realism.

like whenever someone rings and asks me to be involved in their "project" it means they want me to do stuff for nothing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The other pic is a project which I nearly bought myself a few days ago, it's a Steelheart engineering frame with a CBR600 engine, ZXR front end, VFR swingarm. The seller wants £1400 for it, so not exactly cheap, as there's still lots to do/spend, nonetheless it would make an excellent project.
do you have any hassles getting a custom frame registered over there? looks like a cool thing to me.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
do you have any hassles getting a custom frame registered over there? looks like a cool thing to me.
In the UK you can even register a road bike without a headlight (day-use-only registration).

They seem to be far more reasonable than over here when it comes to modified bikes.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
In the UK you can even register a road bike without a headlight (day-use-only registration).

They seem to be far more reasonable than over here when it comes to modified bikes.
Not only are headlights required, they are required to be on during the day in most places here.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wasn't sure how to go about registering a custom frame, until recently. Apparently the easiest way is to buy a cheap used frame with V5. Then stamp the number of the used frame to the custom one. As long as the used frame is destroyed there won't be any problems.
Insurance may be a little harder to get though.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I wasn't sure how to go about registering a custom frame, until recently. Apparently the easiest way is to buy a cheap used frame with V5. Then stamp the number of the used frame to the custom one. As long as the used frame is destroyed there won't be any problems.
Insurance may be a little harder to get though.
So if you steal a new bike and change the numbers to your bike, as long as you destroy your frame you have a new bike. Really? Over here you would be going to jail if you did that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts