Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
In my state, we have no helmet law at all, so the conversations are even more extreme. ( edit: than in Georgia )

DOT approves less than safe helmets, don't they? The biker's rights guys would throw a total shit fit if full face helmets became a DOT minimum.
How many helmets are less safe than no helmet at all? Does DOT approve of helmets that are less age than a full face, yes. Doesn't mean they are "less than safe"

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I qualify 1/2 & 3/4 helmets as less than safe, but I am a full face helmet proponent. So I guess it's just my opinion then.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Full face helmets are just cozier too. :eek:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Cool idea, and I get the real point of the numbers bringing awareness. But just for the sake of argument I would question the accuracy of those numbers for any given country. The numbers shown on the helmet reference statistics taken from both right and left side driving countries. I wonder how many of the accidents in the study were due to vehicles turning left across the motorcyclist's path? And how many of the same scenario accidents were from the U.K. where the vehicle would be coming from the right? I'd be curious to see the numbers specific to only one side of the road and would expect the left and right chin numbers might have a wider spread than the 15% and 19% shown.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
This could be done cheaply with laser cut numbers, stencils, or even old school hand paint numbers not as cheap "at some sign Co.'s" for the vintage look.

Some Harley Davidson riders discount the value of helmets to this day and every summer it looks as if many people discount the value of proper jackets, gloves, pants, boots and shoes. I will not be part of that percentage of rider that is in a vegetative state getting skin grafts while living on narcotics regardless of the question of the possibility that a percentage number on a helmet could be off by a few points.

It's a cool helmet and puts out a good message at least to some ignorant people.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
you are such a skeptic. and you are the worst kind of skeptic, one that does no research.

here is the original report from which those numbers come, It took me literally 30 seconds to find:

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/hic/Helmeted_MC_JTrauma.pdf

you have to read the whole report but basically the percentages are how often that segment was impacted in the sample size of collisions they studied.

But again in being a skeptic you miss the point of the helmet in the first place which is to raise awareness of how effective a full face is over other types of helmets.
Since I had way to much coffee this morning I read the report and found some statistics in it that may interest some of you.
27% of crashes were under age 26
25 % of crashes involved no other object
39% of collisions involved non-moving objects, pedestrians ect.
75% of riders fell before relevant impact.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Are you defending your use of a .5 or .75 helmet with all this pointless sniping? No one has suggested any of the crap you're putting in their mouths. "Less than safe" just means less safe than they expect it to be.

Seriously do you just argue with people cause you're bored?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Are you defending your use of a .5 or .75 helmet with all this pointless sniping? No one has suggested any of the crap you're putting in their mouths. "Less than safe" just means less safe than they expect it to be.

Seriously do you just argue with people cause you're bored?

Less than safe is not the same as less safe. Less than safe means they are not safe. Less safe means they are not as safe as something else. You make assumptions based on someone else's idea of what is safe. How do you know that they think their 1/2 or 3/4 helmet is as safe as a full face? What makes you think I use a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet? I don't, haven't worn anything but full face for the last 40 years. Fact remains that any helmet is safer than none at all. And helmets reduce the risk of death from head injury by 37-40%, full face will reduce the injuries more but probably not the death rate by much. I only argue when people make statements that are just not true.
Here are the helmets I have worn from my different motorsports in the last 20 years:

Having a law that says we have to wear a full face helmet because it is safer would lead to a law that says we can't ride motorcycles all because the safe factor there between a bike and a car is a lot wider than the difference between a full face and a 1/2 helmet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just trying to figure out why you're arguing with someone that agrees with you, that's all. And why you're such a stickler for accuracy but put no effort into being accurate yourself.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Just trying to figure out why you're arguing with someone that agrees with you, that's all. And why you're such a stickler for accuracy but put no effort into being accurate yourself.

How was I not accurate and how did they agree with me?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Kids, stop this immediately or you'll be grounded.

We have crashes almost every weekend in our Basic Rider Course, less frequently in the follow-on course (BRC2) and very seldom in the ARC. For those who do crash and smack their melons, the vast majority of the impacts are in the chinbar and area adjacent to the face opening. If there is anything other than a full-face helmet on, the student often receives what I refer to as "asphalt dermabrasion".

I for one can believe the numbers concerning primary impact areas. Secondary impacts to the helmets usually occur during higher-speed crashes where the wearer has more energy to dissipate - the secondary impact areas are all over.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Years ago I had a (short) conversation with someone who argued that helmets were indeed unsafe. He had the typical points that they cut down on your vision and your hearing. The hearing comment was especially hypocritical due to his view that pipes on bikes should be as loud as possible. But what really amazed me was his complete acceptance that helmets were unsafe because he knew a rider who was killed in a crash while wearing a helmet. The cause of death was a broken neck due to the base of the helmet striking his spine at the base of his skull.

So in this guy's mind, the helmet killed his buddy.

And what caused the helmet to break his spine?

The impact with the phone pole at something like 60mph.

The rider's head hit a phone pole at speed and this genius thinks he'd have been better off with no helmet. He'd still be just as dead. "You don't know that!" Well, it's a pretty safe bet.

And then, the crowing example of his thought process. The argument that helmets resulted in brain injuries that led to a vegetative state. "The'd be better off dead!" Um, but, your buddy????

This is how some people think. I'm not a big proponent of helmet laws (except for new riders and those under the age of 21 or whatever the legal age is now) but I am constantly amazed at how irrational people can be in their thought process.

And for the record I own one vintage style half helmet I bought to use with my 160 Ducati. I have never worn it outside of the house. Screw the "look", I always wear a full face helmet when I ride. Even when it's a bike that can barely get out of it's own way!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I remember when seatbelts became mandotory and there were similar irrational people that said seatbelts were unsafe because you could get trapped in the car when it catches on fire.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I used to think that the government should stay out of my business and if I didn't want to wear a helmet I probably wasn't going to hurt anyone but myself. While this may be true if the accident doesn't kill me and leaves me in a vegetative state eventually the tax payers are going to end up getting stuck with a bill. For these reasons and my compassion for humanity in general I think sometimes stupid people should be forced to do things they may not otherwise do on their own. I look back on my late teens and realize what many, many of my friends and parents told me later on and that was that none of them thought I would see 21 years old. I look back and realize how extremely lucky I am to even be alive at 60. I, through experience, would never ride a bike without a full face helmet whether I was required to or not.
As far as seat belts go it was determined that seat belts cause injuries as do airbags, but they SAVE YOUR LIFE. My father did a research survey in the early 70's and all the data he found showed that only 2 people were killed in accidents in his survey that were killed while wearing a belt that year. They both were killed by objects coming through the windows and impacting them.
one thing that has always stuck in my mind was a statement a Highway Patrolman made once and that was " I have never unbuckled a dead body". Does it happen, sure. Are the odds of killing yourself greatly reduced by wearing a helmet and belts, obviously yes.

·
Registered
830 Posts
" I have never unbuckled a dead body".

I saw that, too! Blood on the Highway, IIRC. Driver's Ed class. That and the wood shop safety film are the big ones that stand out. "Use a push block. Kickbacks can kill!"

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
" I have never unbuckled a dead body".

I saw that, too! Blood on the Highway, IIRC. Driver's Ed class. That and the wood shop safety film are the big ones that stand out. "Use a push block. Kickbacks can kill!"
I had metal shop in junior high school and was working on a horizontal mill and went to brush off the shavings with my finger instead of the "safety brush", the rotating mill caught my pointer finger just at the base of my finger nail. I pulled it out just as it caught and it ripped my finger nail almost all the way off but not all the way and just filled that space with metal shavings and grease under the nail. That was fun, a lesson learned the hard way.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Long time ago a friend of my older brother used to ride with his helmet unbuckled. I asked him why, and he said he'd seen someone get a broken neck when he got hit from behind due to the weight of the strapped on helmet. Hence, he figured if his helmet wasn't buckled up, it would fly off on impact and save his neck.

Genius.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts