Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wanted one of those Silhouette vinyl cutter things for Christmas. Since she controls the supply of certain necessities I got one for her.

She has made some shirts for our kid and there is a huge monogram on the shower wall that I am pretty sure wasn't there before.

Recently I have begun playing with the software. Pretty neat stuff. You can import an image and then the software will trace around it and you have a cut file. It will even work with a picture taken from a camera. Pretty sweet stuff to be honest.

Right now I am currently on a big jet ski kick, so I am gonna make a couple of XXL shirts with vintage logos on them (Butch's, Westcoast, PJS). I wish I could find vintage shirts but apparently everyone was a lot skinnier back then... :D

Anyone else do vinyl?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Wish I did! In theory if you can buy vinyl material in different colours and do colour separations in software, you can now make some pretty cool graphics to put on motorcycles.
<- kinda like that one on my avatar.

You could also start cranking out some pretty nice custom racing number plates.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! She did as four color soda pop bottle with fizzy bubbles on a onesy for my daughter!

Your avatar would be fairly easy to do if i understand how things work if a jpg or gif were available of it to work from. SVG files are of course better but not absolutely required.

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
I was a sign painter and vinyl cutter before I went to law school. It surprises me that some of the tech that used to cost $10K can now be had for home hobbyists for a couple hundred bucks.

If you are the creative painter type you can get masking sheet (or just use regular vinyl) and make complicated masks for custom painting.

I did this helmet with 3m vinyl tape (and rattle cans) which is awesome stuff to work with but if I had a vinyl cutter it would have been way more complex:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know! She has actually started making shirts for people. My X2 Kawasaki needs new graphics! But i kind of dig its battered look too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A co-worker came up with this design and my wife put it through the Silhouette.

Love the idea of using it to paint, never crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife has begun doing 2 or 3 shirts per night. I think we will be purchasing a press soon.She has gotten really good with the iron, but the press will increase productivity and reduce the chance of product loss. Plus I feel like overall quality will be better with better adhesion.

I think you could also use the vinyl stencil to good effect on polished aluminum for blasting in designs.

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
I think you could also use the vinyl stencil to good effect on polished aluminum for blasting in designs.
very light pressure maybe. Same with frosting glass. and you probably need a thick vynil and a light touch. there is a specific sandblasting vinyl for things like this:
Sandblast Stencil - 12 mil

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen that! But I am unsure if her machine could cut that stuff.

I was actually leaning toward getting one of USCutter's SC series machines before the wife took an interest in the Silhoutte machine. The ecosystem surrounding it has been really good for her to self start and learn the ins and outs of the process without a whole lot of fiddling or husband interaction so I am glad we went that direction.

Given that i live in rural GA, I think this might be a good investment: Eagle Flames :cool::rolleyes::p

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may need to try it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts