Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
That's a tough one because it's not here in America and its an 883. It's basically the most expensive toys on the cheapest bike HD made at the time. A stock 883 from 1992 today is about $2500-$3500 in nice shape. To build this bike the stortz parts new would cost you in the neighborhood of $5k but none of the parts are new and that doesn't count the other non storz parts. So figure to replicate it you would be out around $10k-$12k excluding labor. im going to go ahead and say it's worth maybe $7k if it's as clean as it says and comes with ALL the paperwork. What's he actually asking? $15k?

that bit about it handling like a Ducati made me laugh. Maybe a really slow Ducati.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a tough one because it's not here in America and its an 883. It's basically the most expensive toys on the cheapest bike HD made at the time. A stock 883 from 1992 today is about $2500-$3500 in nice shape. To build this bike the stortz parts new would cost you in the neighborhood of $5k but none of the parts are new and that doesn't count the other non storz parts. So figure to replicate it you would be out around $10k-$12k excluding labor. im going to go ahead and say it's worth maybe $7k if it's as clean as it says and comes with ALL the paperwork. What's he actually asking? $15k?

that bit about it handling like a Ducati made me laugh. Maybe a really slow Ducati.
He wanted to have an idea of worth before he contacted the owner, I told him you would likely be familiar with Storz. He's going to call the seller today so I'll let you know.

The one thing I was sure of is that it wouldn't handle like a Ducati, although I've never ridden an ST2, maybe that was his reference point?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Don't get me wrong, everything on that bike is a quality piece. The only flaw it has is that it was built on an 883 and not a 1200. Upgrading to a 1200 isn't hard or expensive but from a collectors standpoint you'd have to send it back to Cleveland or have a well known HD tuner do the install to preserve its value as a collectible.

Lets see what what a few others have to say about it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
He must think the Ceriani forks are better then thy are... Don't get me wrong they are good but turn n HD in to a Ducati good not. I'm not sure off the top of my head what Storz was selling for rear suspension but progressive is good.
883 was a good choice back in 92 as it was a official FT class back then.
I'm with Geeto on value.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Is the buyer hoping to road legal it? Might want to try and get it with the original exhaust system parts so that it will pass as road legal (at least the first time around), the exhaust system is "intended for use on closed course competition motorcycles only" that Might be an obstacle to getting it certified in some places. :/ "Will qualify for inexpensive vintage insurance" how the heck can a 1992 motorcycle qualify for vintage insurance? I'd want to price that out first to believe it, also on the check box where the insurance company asks if the machine has been modified, they are going to have to select yes.

Collector bike :rolleyes: all my bikes are going to be collector bikes, in another 60 years.

… hey wait, he's selling that as certified, how did he do that :confused: I must not know the right mechanics.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the buyer hoping to road legal it? Might want to try and get it with the original exhaust system parts so that it will pass as road legal (at least the first time around), the exhaust system is "intended for use on closed course competition motorcycles only" that Might be an obstacle to getting it certified in some places. :/ "Will qualify for inexpensive vintage insurance" how the heck can a 1992 motorcycle qualify for vintage insurance? I'd want to price that out first to believe it, also on the check box where the insurance company asks if the machine has been modified, they are going to have to select yes.

Collector bike :rolleyes: all my bikes are going to be collector bikes, in another 60 years.

… hey wait, he's selling that as certified, how did he do that :confused: I must not know the right mechanics.
I don't think exhaust noise is a consideration any longer, look at (or rather listen to) some of the Harley's that are on the road...they're brutal. I was behind a group of a couple dozen Hell's Angels yesterday, sounded like a 48 cylinder engine with straight pipes. I agree with your thoughts on Ontario insurance.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's he actually asking? $15k?
LOL. The owner won't give a price unless potential buyers go to see the bike, so he wants this guy to do 6 hours round trip without knowing whether he is even financially interested. All I can think is the owner is likely dreaming.

·
Registered
703 Posts
He either doesn't want to sell it and has listed it to show his Mrs he's trying or wants mad money, why would you not put what you'd like for it? To put he won't respond to offers in aswell means he's a bellend. Would you buy a bike off a bellend?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I hate sellers who don't tell you what they are wanting for it. So what do you do? Start at $1 , then $2 , a couple thousand times till you get what he wants. It's stupid not to at least throw out a high asking price to see if it's even in my ballpark budget. That said, Storz stuff, while it may be quality, it is extremely over priced. Geek's offer of $7k is probably a good ballpark.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Overpriced infers that the parts quality does not justify the price. This is not true, stuff like their alloy tanks and such are competitively priced. Are there cheaper parts that replicate the look? Yes but you aren't getting an alloy tank bolt on for a fuel injected sportster for that cheaper price - you are getting a glass tank with a liner where you have to adjust your own fittings. Storz sells everything separate so you can pick and choose the parts. For what they charge for ceriani forks you could buy a basic set of ohlins and I'd much rather have those.

The he bike in question I suspect was built in 1992 as a display for the dealer to sell storz parts in the pre internet days and that's likely why it was done on an 883, because it was intended to sit as a display and eventually get parted out. It's premium as a collectible is probably as a dealer display or promotional item and not as a motorcycle. The dealer probably got a good offer on it and sold it whole.

If you buddy calls, ask him to get the whole origin story - I'd love to know why some built such a weird bike.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Storz is the American distributor for Ceriani, so they are going to get full suggested retail for them, no discounts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
True they are the importer and OH by the way when you call and ask for seals to fit the screw on gold cap forks they sold for years....So Sorry we don't sell those seals anymore please buy a newer set of forks...
Okay thanks down to the local motion (bearing) supply house to match them up....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you buddy calls, ask him to get the whole origin story - I'd love to know why some built such a weird bike.
I got a hold of the seller. Bike was bought new from Southside in Cleveland and was converted to Storz buy them. He evidently has the paper trail. I didn't want to irritate him (and ask why such a weird build) in case someone here was interested in it, because he said he would sell for $5500(US).

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I got a hold of the seller. Bike was bought new from Southside in Cleveland and was converted to Storz buy them. He evidently has the paper trail. I didn't want to irritate him (and ask why such a weird build) in case someone here was interested in it, because he said he would sell for $5500(US).
I messaged him about not letting anyone know what he wanted for it. He expects you show up and make an offer, but he's 3K miles away. Let me know when it sells so I can message him and offer him $7K.;)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ya know, i can think of a lot of things I would rather spend $5k on but for some one who wants a good looking quality street tracker with minimal maint investment it would be well bought. I'd rather some newbie buy this than what dipshits are calling brat these days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts