Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I lack a front fender . It's all personal preference . Like clubman bars .
Some bikes look good without fenders . But if you're front fender acts as a brace and you take it off for looks for the cost of handling that there is dumb .

·
Registered
472 Posts
Perhaps you all are are just not MANLY enough. I'll bet you wear helmets, too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Perhaps you all are are just not MANLY enough. I'll bet you wear helmets, too.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
probably gunna get spanked but i'm manly enough to take it with a smile...
in addition to the above mentioned good reasons to cover tires, especially on street bikes, i'll mention another consideration perhaps more important to a high speed (racing) applications. although the bottom of a moving tire is stationary (unless you're skidding), the top of the tire is actually travelling forward at twice the speed of your bike. and while a tire is a relatively aerodynamic shape, the drag of the top of the tire is scraping away your hard earned speed at the twice the square of bike's velocity. a tightly fitted fender on a low horsepower bike will increase top speed measureably. hoof might add a bit of slat flat reality to this idea but it's something else to consider if lieing on the tank to extract that last 90th mph on your cb 350 is your thing. those hayabusa types should probably not try for the last mph of top speed, but look at the form fitting qualities of their front fender...one of a few aerodynamic reasons those bikes are so fast (in addition to the supid fast power).
-parks
p.s. amen

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
probably gunna get spanked but i'm manly enough to take it with a smile...
in addition to the above mentioned good reasons to cover tires, especially on street bikes, i'll mention another consideration perhaps more important to a high speed (racing) applications. although the bottom of a moving tire is stationary (unless you're skidding), the top of the tire is actually travelling forward at twice the speed of your bike. and while a tire is a relatively aerodynamic shape, the drag of the top of the tire is scraping away your hard earned speed at the twice the square of bike's velocity. a tightly fitted fender on a low horsepower bike will increase top speed measureably. hoof might add a bit of slat flat reality to this idea but it's something else to consider if lieing on the tank to extract that last 90th mph on your cb 350 is your thing. those hayabusa types should probably not try for the last mph of top speed, but look at the form fitting qualities of their front fender...one of a few aerodynamic reasons those bikes are so fast (in addition to the supid fast power).
-parks
p.s. amen

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's interesting about the fender reducing the drag of the tire. I'd never thought about it, but it makes sense. My main bike has no front fender and I'll probably keep it that way, but at least now I have a valid-in-my-mind reason that a front fender might be a good idea. Rooster-tails of filthy water don't really bother me. The city streets have many interesting flavors that come out when it rains.
I was reading that while Kawasaki was developing the H1 triple, they were having troubles with the center cylinder overheating. They found that with the right shape of front fender, the cooling was sufficient. The fender reduces the turbulence in the airstream that goes over the front wheel and then over the center cylinder. This doesn't seem to be as big of a concern on other air-cooled bikes, since the H1 was extra badass, but I think it shows that a front fender will likely improve cooling on any bike.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's interesting about the fender reducing the drag of the tire. I'd never thought about it, but it makes sense. My main bike has no front fender and I'll probably keep it that way, but at least now I have a valid-in-my-mind reason that a front fender might be a good idea. Rooster-tails of filthy water don't really bother me. The city streets have many interesting flavors that come out when it rains.
I was reading that while Kawasaki was developing the H1 triple, they were having troubles with the center cylinder overheating. They found that with the right shape of front fender, the cooling was sufficient. The fender reduces the turbulence in the airstream that goes over the front wheel and then over the center cylinder. This doesn't seem to be as big of a concern on other air-cooled bikes, since the H1 was extra badass, but I think it shows that a front fender will likely improve cooling on any bike.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The DOHC 750/900/1100F had a spoiler built into the front fender that I assume was to help cooling of the center cylinders. Some of the later Hondas had the spoiler built into the fork brace.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The DOHC 750/900/1100F had a spoiler built into the front fender that I assume was to help cooling of the center cylinders. Some of the later Hondas had the spoiler built into the fork brace.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have no opposition to fenders and I'm cool with my bikes having very minimal fenderage

no front fender on a classic springer and it's raining? you didn't think you were actually supposed to wear that bandanna like you are the Marlboro man didja?

I am merely opposed to the ones that are mounted in temporary and frail, at best, fashions and with zero regard for real world tire growth, flexing, harmonics, metal fatigue.... etc

yep, I can lay one on so slipping ten green beer slips under a fender....... which appears completely unsupported or braced.... and made of heavy enough metal to support a passenger...... isn't possible

but in the real world

forks flex, tires grow, and weak under-engineered pretty stuff breaks

and sometimes ya even have to adjust the chain

aside from the 35 thou aluminum foil thin and weak alloy fenders I see pretty much thumbtacked on several period correct bikes

one of my favorites is the fiberglass one people commonly used radiator hose clamps to fix them to the lower legs

no thanks, I'll pass

I am pretty sure the spoiler on the DOHC's fender was to create enough down force to keep the front wheel planted since the remaining part of the the fender allowed it to maybe break 110 mph

just typing 110 or 120 mph scares me shatless

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have no opposition to fenders and I'm cool with my bikes having very minimal fenderage

no front fender on a classic springer and it's raining? you didn't think you were actually supposed to wear that bandanna like you are the Marlboro man didja?

I am merely opposed to the ones that are mounted in temporary and frail, at best, fashions and with zero regard for real world tire growth, flexing, harmonics, metal fatigue.... etc

yep, I can lay one on so slipping ten green beer slips under a fender....... which appears completely unsupported or braced.... and made of heavy enough metal to support a passenger...... isn't possible

but in the real world

forks flex, tires grow, and weak under-engineered pretty stuff breaks

and sometimes ya even have to adjust the chain

aside from the 35 thou aluminum foil thin and weak alloy fenders I see pretty much thumbtacked on several period correct bikes

one of my favorites is the fiberglass one people commonly used radiator hose clamps to fix them to the lower legs

no thanks, I'll pass

I am pretty sure the spoiler on the DOHC's fender was to create enough down force to keep the front wheel planted since the remaining part of the the fender allowed it to maybe break 110 mph

just typing 110 or 120 mph scares me shatless

·
Registered
55 Posts
I choose not to run a fender but then again I like to get doused in the face by rain and hit in the nuts with ricocheting rocks.
Oh wait, maybe I do want a fender...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I choose not to run a fender but then again I like to get doused in the face by rain and hit in the nuts with ricocheting rocks.
Oh wait, maybe I do want a fender...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
most fenders act as a fork brace on the bikes that we talk about here. motorcycling is dangerous enough; why make it more so by removing the safety features of your machine? darwin effect?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
really? show me and a proper telefix is merely a bandaid on a 500 pound cb with the laughably weak 35m tubes barely suitable for a 125cc enduro.

that kind of posturing is quite similar to that of Ralph Nader and the merry band of GWTRA nazi's

I'll assume your bikes have roll cages and air bags? Perhaps you think everyone else's should too?

it's not the idea that I'm against fenders.......

·
Registered
692 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 736cafe

most fenders act as a fork brace on the bikes that we talk about here. motorcycling is dangerous enough; why make it more so by removing the safety features of your machine? darwin effect?
Bingo . That's why if you remove it , brace it . :D

I have a tweak on mine until I get a lower brace ( Pampadori ???) Actually works great . Looks kinda cheesy but works great .

Back to the aerodynamics : No joking ..... I can see the drag you're speaking of . Put your bike on a lift , spin the front wheel and you can feel the air . But why are the tires left exposed on an F1 ? Not trying to spark debate . Really asking a question.

And I've maxxed out my bike with and without a fender and I still have the same top speed . Just at 30 or so MPH the tire will throw shit in my face at times . No biggie.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts