Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am interested in purchasing a cafe racer (under $2500), but have limited experience with motorcycles. I had a dirtbike as a kid and have ridden ATV's quite a bit, but recently moved to Denver and am wanting something smaller than my truck (Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed) for in-town commutes. I am 5'9" 155 lb female and like I said, a "beginner". Any thoughts?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
A Yamaha SRX 250, if you can find a low miles, un-trashed example. Ideal for your size and weight. It's easy enough to remove the fairing and just run a bare headlight if you want to.

yamaha_srx250t87.png

If you think ' café racer ' means crusty old Honda, you should do a little further research.

Avoid 400cc Honda twins.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Do yourself a favor and dont buy an obscure bike or a custom. Looking at your craigslist I spotted this right off the bat. This leaves you close to $1000 for good riding gear. MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!

[h=2]2004 Kawasaki Ninja EX 500 in excellent condition, 14k, new tires - $1600 (N. Springs)[/h]

I am selling this beautiful Ninja 500 that has only 14k miles, runs great and really moves out. I will include Cortech bags and a 2nd set of new tires if you buy this weekend. It has a new set of tires on the bike. There are no scratches or cracked plastic on this bike.Call Frank at

·
Registered
440 Posts
Do yourself a favor and dont buy an obscure bike or a custom. Looking at your craigslist......

Beat me to it. I was going to suggest something like a small displacement Ninja or the ever present Rebel 250 until the rider has a decent amount of saddle time and learns a few maintenance skills. You can always get your money back, or most of it anyway.

·
Registered
440 Posts
An inline 600 is too much for a beginner in my book, especially a lightweight beginner.

Here's another Honda 250 that you can buy, ride for a year and then sell for a very small loss. 2004 Honda CB250 Nighthawk

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
A Suzuki GS500E, the un - fairing model, maybe.

GS500E GS6.jpg

If a bike feels too big for you, it probably is.

Forget a 600cc four. Too heavy, too fast and not very noob - friendly.

You don't have to rev the tits of twin all the time to get anywhere like fours, either.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NIC579,
Thank you for posting! I was hoping for something more vintage/cafe racer looking. I'm sorry, I don't know an immense amount about varying styles, manufacturers, models, etc. Just starting to explore the idea...Are you recommending this style because I'm a beginner or because it is just better to buy newer model? This is what I was looking at before your recommendation.

1982 Honda CM450 Cafe Racer - $2000 (colorado springs)

http://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_gpvWiM2WCvh_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

1982 Honda cm450 with a clear title.The rear tail section was chopped off and a rear hoop welded in place.The tail piece was handmade and houses all of the electronics including the new battery.It has led turn signals with the proper led flasher,and led tail lights.There are only 12,000 original miles on the bike and it starts right up.It rides great and is a lot of fun.Custom exhaust actually sounds really throaty for a little 450 and exits right behind your leg.I was tempted to keep it myself but more projects await.I'm asking $2000 obo.Either call or text
show contact info
or email if you wish.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your first bike shouldn't be about looks really. Custom bikes and older bikes in general are going to need more maintenance and unless you have them checked out by a trusted professional, are much more likely to kill you due to something breaking unexpectedly. Learn to ride and develop a basic set of mechanical skills before buying something old and modified.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Recommending as it is newer and will require less maintenance, function better, "brakes, suspension, handling, ect".

One of my all time favorite bikes and a cult classic:

1988 Honda Hawk GT 650 NT650 - $2850 (Westminster)

condition: excellent size / dimensions:This is a beautiful 1988 Hawk GT in Tempest Grey Metallic, with the Honda factory option fairing, and a nice Corbin custom seat.

Original owner, 14K, carbs overhauled, valves adjusted, tuned and ready.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Forget that CM450. They were junk when stock, and that hacked - up one in that CL ad would be about three times worse to ride. It's not worth half of what they are asking for it.

If you want the crusty old Honda twin vibe, find a good stock CL / CB350, that has not been butchered by clowns with no idea of what constitutes a good bike to ride.

Remember, owning a crusty, forty - year old bike, is a lot like owning a crusty forty - year old bike. It's not all riding off into the sunset. It's fixing worn - out things, and emptying your bank balance.

Check out MacDaddyPeq 's thread if you really want an old Honda 350. His is not that bad.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Your first bike shouldn't be about looks really. Custom bikes and older bikes in general are going to need more maintenance and unless you have them checked out by a trusted professional, are much more likely to kill you due to something breaking unexpectedly. Learn to ride and develop a basic set of mechanical skills before buying something old and modified.
+1
+1

+1
Buy something that is going to be dependable, fun to ride, and confidence inspiring.

An old bike can get to be a real drag when you are going somewhere and the points shift or an old wire shorts leaving you on the side of the road. If you are good with that happening every so often have a go. Just 2 things that have happened to me on rides to work on my old Honda CL160. I was able to reset points at work after pushing the bike a few miles and fixed wires road side. but be
prepared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I understand not buying an older bike....finding a newer bike that will give me less troubles....I'd be fine with the styling of the Hawk or the Suzuki's....I was thinking something between 250-450 cc would be best to start with? Is 250 too low?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
The NT650 Hawk is mild mannered and if you keep it stock and clean should hold resale.

A Ninja 250 is capable but I picture you wanting to hit the highway up to the mountians at some point so you might consider a twin 500 to 650 or even a small Ducati Monster.

The bandit 600 could be ok or not depending on your actual previous experience.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Buy a brand new Suzuki TU250X, or even a very clean, low miles one. Fast enough for normal road use, and they get extreme gas mileage.

TU250X suzuki-1-1009.jpg

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I guess when you factor in elevation, the tamest of the inline 4's may be compatible with a worthy beginner, but only if they are quick learners and understand their physical environment. The Hawk GT is a real looker and I'd be proud to own one, but looking back, I'm glad my father wouldn't buy me anything other than the Rebel 250 until I had paid off enough of it that I could trade it in or sell it.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
NIC579,
Thank you for posting! I was hoping for something more vintage/cafe racer looking. I'm sorry, I don't know an immense amount about varying styles, manufacturers, models, etc. Just starting to explore the idea...Are you recommending this style because I'm a beginner or because it is just better to buy newer model? This is what I was looking at before your recommendation.

1982 Honda CM450 Cafe Racer - $2000 (colorado springs)

http://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_gpvWiM2WCvh_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

1982 Honda cm450 with a clear title.The rear tail section was chopped off and a rear hoop welded in place.The tail piece was handmade and houses all of the electronics including the new battery.It has led turn signals with the proper led flasher,and led tail lights.There are only 12,000 original miles on the bike and it starts right up.It rides great and is a lot of fun.Custom exhaust actually sounds really throaty for a little 450 and exits right behind your leg.I was tempted to keep it myself but more projects await.I'm asking $2000 obo.Either call or text
show contact info
or email if you wish.

That at thing is a giant piece of shit.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Only slightly off topic after gazing at that CM450 horror.

Tripebuns latest clowncafer - clicbait effort. :

10_10_2014_stranger_06.jpg

Alas, it was a happy little CX500 once. " The horror, the horror. "

Danger, is my business.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts