Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
an new sr400 would not be a bad starter ...yes, a little anemic for the larger person but she is 155 and 5'9 .. the 500's issues were solved long ago .. any yamaha dealer should be able to fix or get any bits for this 'new' unit and cafe stuff can be bought from Kedo which will be adaptable if not a direct fit... the 400 is a bit smaller overall in all dimentions than the 500 's, so its lighter and being fuel injected a much easyer bike to ride and enjoy than most carb type units .. should be a good fit.. That said, just buy a smaller dual sport (xt250) to learn on and find your 'cafe- able' bike later..

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
an new sr400 would not be a bad starter ...yes, a little anemic for the larger person but she is 155 and 5'9 .. the 500's issues were solved long ago .. any yamaha dealer should be able to fix or get any bits for this 'new' unit and cafe stuff can be bought from Kedo which will be adaptable if not a direct fit... the 400 is a bit smaller overall in all dimentions than the 500 's, so its lighter and being fuel injected a much easyer bike to ride and enjoy than most carb type units .. should be a good fit.. That said, just buy a smaller dual sport (xt250) to learn on and find your 'cafe- able' bike later..
The SR400s and SR500s are 95% the same bike. They are almost exactly the same size. Hardly any difference in weight at all, even between spoke and mag wheel models. Virtually all parts fit each other and interchange. The crank, rod and piston are different, and not straight swaps. Even though the model varies a little over the years, most aftermarket parts fit both the 400 and the 500.

The 400 goes about the same as the 500, in real world conditions. It does not have the torque of the 500, but cruises smoother, at higher revs, at about the same speeds.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Remember people, she is in Denver. She is going to lose 20% of the power and torque due to the low air density at 5000-5500 feet, and on top of that will most likely need to ride it up and over the mountains around there. I really don't think a 250 single is gonna cut it at 75mph going up a grade.

·
Registered
405 Posts
true, a 250 isnt a speed demon ..I didnt take into account where she lived.. an Fi bike would be simplest use in the higher elevations and the sr400 is going to be hurting up there even with mods.. Now considering location, a dual sport Fi with the larger displacement than 250 would be better yet, least till you get some miles riding..

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had someone tell me Yamaha and Suzuki but not Honda and Kawasaki were being assembled in China. I did not believe it figuring with Japan once invading China that would not happen. So i e-mailed a rich cousin that owns a Yamaha dealership in Colorado. His reply was..... Sad but Reality.... Now he did not elaborate on how many were assembled there nor did i ask. Does that mean Yamaha and Suzuki are now junk of course not. Now i have no clue how long this has been going on and i bought a new DR 650 Suzuki in 2011 it now has over 20,000 miles on it nothing has ever needed fixed on it period. Just now trying to decide if i want to change out the chain. To the OP First bike want reliable easy access to dealers and parts if needed buy Japanese don't even consider anything else.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes they assemble Toyota Tacoma pickups in Tijuana mexico said so on the window sticker when i looked at some yrs ago. None of that matters its the parts there made from and dealers backing them up. Never owned a Japanese car. Neighbor back in the 90s bought a new honda accord had a few minor things go wrong with it dealer fixed it. He sent a letter to honda complaining about the problems not the dealer. Honda sent him a Check for S1000.00 i saw the check he showed it to me. Neighbor on my right had a 280 Z Nissan it had some rust develop around the wheel wells it was 7 yrs old at the time two yrs past its 5 yr rust warranty. Dealer fixed it with Nissan approval repainted the entire car they charged him nothing. I do not have enough time to tell you how i have been treated by GM and Ford new cars i have owned other the to say like shit. Have owned new Japanese motorcycles since the 1960s by far the beat bang for the buck reliable good dealer support and parts.

I just got back from So-Cal 3,650 miles on the DR 650 dirt bike with lights. Five days of riding one day of the five i goofed around seeing Sequoia National park and hwy one enjoying the sites The other four days my average per day was 837 miles. I slept some nights setting up in a chair in the drivers lounge of flying J truck stops to save money. I'm 61

Back to cars its easy to see why GM went bankrupt never been a more deserving company to go bankrupt. Bought 5 new cars from them 69 to 79 never owned one since and will never own one again.

·
Registered
573 Posts
just going to point out....they ride Royal Enfields to the Himalayas often. Just sayin....
Yeah, but in the Himalayas I doubt you have hundreds of other vehicles around you doing 75mph while the driver talks on the phone. I don't think they are bad bikes, I just think trying to keep up with freeway traffic in Denver is not going to be confidence inspiring. Hell, my brother in law is afraid to ride his in L.A. freeway traffic, but that mostly reflects on him. 250lb me used to occasionally commute to work on stuff like an MT125, TS90 and Passport 70cc, avoiding the freeway of course.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
just going to point out....they ride Royal Enfields to the Himalayas often. Just sayin....
The woman I know who did the hash and plonking Himalaya Enfield ride, said most of it was riding at a fast walking pace, dodging goats, cows, trucks and beggars. And then more hash and yogurt drinks.

Danger, is my business.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
So you only know one? And she smokes Hash?:rolleyes:
I only know one woman who rode in India. I know plenty of other girls who went there, but they were guys.

Trust me, that one woman is more than enough. Her house is like a 24hr Bob Marley tour bus, with free liquor. And has been for over thirty years.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good luck finding a good cafe bike. I'm a little old 'man' looking several months also. Patience is a virtue apparently, and one must be mechanically inclined to do the old bikes.

In Houston today, lots of NINJAs, a couple Rebels, and maybe three decent ride aways under $2K: a 2002 Suzuki GS500 -$1600 - 9K miles, and a 2001 with 10K for $1900, both I KNOW can be safely lowered at least 3", 400 lbs+. A 96 Virago for $1500 with 8500 miles is lots of work to cafe but low seat. Alot of 'fixers' for under $1K if I had time of course...

Several 'actual' cafe bikes; a 81 Yamaha SR500 cafe -$1900 looks very clean, really old, miles away; a 81 CX500 Cafe Racer - $2800 is too heavy, several Kawi big dogs for $3-4K, and a couple Harley cafes for big bucks. and one genuine = 1972 Ducati Desmo 350, Cafe Racer, Gremica, ceriani - $6999.

Eventually the right one will show up; so we must be ready to pounce.

Be well...

61 - 74 of 74 Posts