Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've secured a new cb350 this week, the guys delivering to my house from south texas on monday. it's really clean with just a few things to straighten out mostly aesthetic. this bike is street legal but the damn mounts for the kick stand have been ground off and the frame is powdercoated so welding a new one on is not an option. any suggestions? for a side stand i mean, no need to tell me i should level out that tank or move the seat up, clean up that batter mess, ect.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Unity Equippe, I think, has one that is a bolt on item. Comes with a split clamp that squeezes you frame tube.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that judey. i bought one of those as soon as i knew the bike was mine so i could get it on the road asap. got it last night and it's such a pos that i don't trust it. ugly,lumpy with thick flaking paint that was applied to the entire unit while assembled, including the spring. i'm hoping to find something very similar.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
fab up one that will fasten to those three holes by your foot pegs

if you buy one the clamp on squeeze the frame tube types, you'll need two of them

one to dookie on

and one to cover it up with

that or bite the bullet and weld on a proper tab as you can touch up the powder with good paint

·
Registered
699 Posts
i am with hack, grind the powder down and do it the right way. that powder coating acts funny when you clamp stuff to it. from my experience (my rd is coated) motormounts loosen more and things like that for the first few rides. i had rims coated on a motocrosser and the spokes constantly needed to be checked...so i would be leary about trusting a bolt on stand with that nice of a bike.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
powder coated or even bare metal, and I do agree with what Tyler is saying

a bit less true when powder is truly done well though

those clamp on stands do indeed collapse the relatively thin wall tubing and if you use them

at the very least, secure at least one half of it with weld beads

the design would eventually work loose even on solid bar stock

bolt stretch and eventually the castings or forgings will yield a bit

maybe some serrations in the clamps would make them bite better, I've never tried

probably never will as long as I have a welder and can cut metal

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right on, that's the kind of advice i needed to hear. since i have it and need to spend my available dough on title, registration and inspection, i'll use this stand briefly till i can weld a bracket on.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If you used a clamp type method for attaching on to your frame, you could drill a small hole through the frame (and clamp) to secure the clamp bracket to the frame. That should hold the clamp bracket securely...

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
you might be surprised just how little holding effectiveness, if any, would actually be gained by putting even a hardened dowel pin as you mention

ever wonder why dowel pins are not often used to locate an item AND in such a manner as to resist torsional forces?

ask a guy that has tried to key a set of 15+ inch tall ape hangers how well it doesn't work

use a soft "key" and it will shear making a nasty mess

use a hard "key" and the softer bars end up sliced like you had run a dull axe thru them

if the idea was to key it, doing so in the same line as the clamps parting line (parallel to the tubing) would be many times stronger and much less likely to result in a frame having and nasty hole torn in it when the mild steel tubing fatigued

unless bolting to say...... three rigid points

it's really hard to do a motorcycle's durable sidestand lug without heat being involved

I've seen more than one bike fall over due to clamp on side stands....... and the most expensive one I ever saw fall over was a near museum piece that had not been ridden in years........ just sat there quietly, untouched for years, affected only by daily vibration and temp changes of this planet...... and then one day the tubing collapsed and just enough to be nearly unmeasurable

I'm really not a fan of clamping much of anything structural to frame tubing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts