Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it was a fantastic weekend. weather could not have been better. 75-80 and sunny. cool at night. steve d' showing, and breaking as is customary, a fraction of the nyc crew, whatevs, kenny cummings, roper, and one other guy whos name im forgetting was there. tex mawby, myself, bucky sexton on a stocker, buff harsh, his rider, and a new kid from atlanta who is retarded fast and of course jerseygirl.

whatevs had chris marshalls old cb350 stocker to run for the weekend.

500gp/v2 (mwsv) was to be the first race of the day with 350gp a few races later.

stephen barber pretty much had the championship wrapped for the ma and ne regions. roper was 4 pts in front of me, and tex 4 behind me for 500. steven barber blew a clutch pushrod seal on the way out to the pre-grid. a dns. i had to beat tex, and if roper hadnt shown, id have 3rd worst case for both regions, despite a half season of running out of gas! i was gridded on the front row on the inside with roper to my left with Barbers emty spot on pole. tex the next row back with whatevs and steve d'. bucky behind them with at least one other guy. jerseygirl had bumped to v2 and was the next wave back. the flag dropped and i got a great start. wheelied perfectly off the line and literally left roper standing there. i had clear track til about the brake markers into t1. (frightening!!!) when roper got by with 2 yamahas from the v2 grid and what i thought was another v2 cb350. (turns out it was a stocker on our grid) apparently the roper stalling melle caused quite the mess and tangled a few people up. i put my head down and just went for comfortable fast laps not taking any big risks and riding at about probably 90%. at half way no one had shown me a wheel. i didnt look back. lap 7, still running in 5th overall, thinking i had 2nd in 500. bucky had gotten by everyone in about 3 laps and started putting the screws to it to catch me but tossed it down in the carousel after gapping everyone. (who knew?) steve d' broke his rear brake linkage and it was just dangling the entire race. coming up the back straight tex pulls up next to me, waves hello and throws it into t10 on the inside and has a HUGE slide just inside of me about 2' away. huge kudos for the save there tex! t10 is a mid/high forth gear corner. maybe 60-70 mph. i draft him down the main straight and pull up next to him at just about start finish where al is waving the white flag. we literally rode 1/2 the front straight neck and neck. i was waiting to see him brake as we were flying past the brake markers into t1. i wasnt going til he did. he waited til his usual mark, and went another 25' on the gas. i went another 25 beyond that, hit the brakes, tossed it in, slid the front hard in mid corner and rolled out. tex chased me back to the line and i beat him by less than 5/100's of a second. (transponders rule!) it was "an epic battle". i took 3rd on the grid and 3rd for both regions.

but the fun was yet to come! we gridded up for 350/v1 race and i just wanted to go ride and have fun. got another good start but honestly dont remember who lead into t1. i know roper got away good, whatevs was in front of me, and he got bumped (again) by the fast dude from georgia. i got by whatevs in t1. they held our grid but i could see the orange shirt of a novice rider ahead of us after the start, and also the green shirt of jerseygirl. i started pressing. little did i know i had tex, whatevs, bucky, and i thought steve d' in chase. we were catching the v1 grid. tex comes by. whatevs comes by. i pass them both in the carousel. whatevs comes by. i pass him back. tex comes by. we catch jerseygirl after about 2 laps. honestly, i have no idea what happened after that. i remember hitting my boot on the outside turtles in the carousel after going 3 wide through it while passing tex and whatevs. i remember passing on the inside of the carousel about 3 times after going 3 wide through it. i remember passing pretty much every corner and brake zone on the track. 2 at a time, 3 at a time, one at a time. we chased jerseygirl for about 6 laps and were swarming around her like mad. passing her, and getting repassed. at points we were splitting her and leaving one of us behind. at somepoint whatevs got by me on the last lap. i dont remember where. he beat me by about 50' i think for 4th. jerseygirl took a second i think but whatevs and i beat her overall. (way to go though jerseygirl!!!) it was the best racing i have ever done. it was literally 8 laps, of 4, 5 and sometimes 6 passes a lap. and i know i did some of my best lap times even with my bike not 100% (damned carbs!) it was insane.

big kudos to whatevs for railing around on a bike he never raced and kicking ass. the dude can ride. and has some great sox. (thanks again man!) bucky was having fun, and i wish he could have held on. jerseygirl, next year, you wont even remember we're out there with you. great riding. and way to not get rattled. i think i would have just let us go. seriously, really nice riding. whatevs, you are the man. and tex.....oh yeah... i beat you this weekend didnt i? 2x! nice riding dude. cant wait to do it again. not often you get to race that close with all your buddies. it was awesome. best races ever. we put on one hell of a show.

next year its 140's all day.

you new england boys gotts make the trip down. its a good time!

joe

Edited by - joe c on Sep 30 2007 7:50:40 PM

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know my contributions to this list are few, but I only now seem to have time...

What a weekend...seriously, one of the best. That's what it's all about. Joe, I can't thank you enough for getting the bike together and hauling it down for me to race. I gotta admit, I was a little nervous about how I would fare against you guys on like machinery since my Duc is in pieces - a true test of my mettle and I didn't know if I could measure up. I feel I did ok though, and it was truly one of the best times I have had on a track. There is just something about racing against your friends on close-to-equal machinery that makes it all worthwhile. I gotta get myself a stocker CB for the Summit events, cause if this is any indication of what it's like, then I am hooked.

So great to race and hang with Joe, Tex, Bucky and Kerry. Kerry...I just shake my head at how well you have taken to racing. Amazing. First time at the track (I know Summit can be daunting at first) and you rallied so well! You seriously don't need to wear an orange jersey. When we were behind you, there were a few places I felt I could pass, but you had the line and held it so well that I just didn't feel right about making a balls-out move. You woulda passed us all on the straight anyway. Keep it up, girl...I see great things in the future from you.

I did a 1:42 for Chris Marshall (one), so I hope I did the bike justice. Had my share of stupid, in-a-hurry mistakes with the unfamiliar ride, but so thankful for the ride. Can't wait to see all you guys again I guess in April. If I can get my Duc together in time, I am off to Barber.

Thanks again to Joe for coming across with the ride, and thanks to all there I know and love for a great time.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anytime! especially if youll get in texs way!!!!

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tim, the dude from georgia was doing 135's, on a stocker. insane. check out the wera board, apparently it was only a few hours after people got home that the cheating accusations started to fly! i guess mahanes is a little bitter.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
NO WAY IS THAT THING A STOCKER!

1:35 Lap, Consistant 1:36 Laps! NO FUCKIN WAY!

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, WAY!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY!

I'M PROTESTING!

this weekend kicked ass! congrats to all! what joe said!

texy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tex, check out the wera board. i guess its kinda hard to argue with the guy. former v5 national champ. control rider for one of the schools. he did say his bike was 1500 bucks, but i called him on the brake! i dunno....the more i think about it, the more it seems like it could be. i mean, look at what rabbie managed to pull off. we were doing 3 and 4secs slower laps than your fastest all weekend. and whatevs is usually in the 139 and 40 range. on a shitty running ducati! so im not going to start in on the guy. i hope he showes up all next year.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dude,

when my bike was fresh, and i rode every week on the track for teampromotion, i could do 1:39's.........

i had everything his bike had that could make it fast, except a 4ls TD1 works front brake......but my 2ls 230mm grimeca is all you really need!

it is just real hard to believe that you can do that (WITH POINTS IGNITION!).......

anyone look at the carbs he was running? chokes out? intakes bondo'ed and smooth? velocity stacks? i wish i would of checked it out?

rabbie is fast, and raced his stocker well (slaying giants), but i don't think that he could pull off 1:36 consistant laps.......

ask tt, he ran the fastest i ever saw at 3 consistant 1:38's!

whatever, i'm building a stupid joeclancykiller for next year.

it's on bitches!

texy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i went to get pics of his bike.

no chokes. he ran the boots from the airboxes as velocity stacks. the points iggy is just puzzling. i mean, maybe hes got the pvl under there and just has the points hanging out there for a big F/U. he seems like he could be that kind of guy. like, just to screw with you. his carbs had the tops painted black. his frame was pretty stock looking. im trying to get him to send me over pics. i dunno. i could see rab doing it. but who knows. put the cash up. you and mahanes can split it! how will ya feel if he opens it and hes got stock pistons???

i wouldnt say you were the fastest guy to lap summit on a stocker. i mean chris did do i think 2 138's on his last time out. and its not like that motor is exactly fresh. and his brake was screwy, and on 6 year old tires. i dunno man. now you know how it feels!

me

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yeah....off the start....the guy went by me like i was standing still and was rolling with roper. whats interesting is i was pretty much leading that parade, and only you caught me. and my bike was not happy all weekend. weird clutch slippy thing, and breaking up. it actually felt faster in june, even though the lap times dont say that.

me

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'm building the machine back to where it was in 2003. f-it! fresh pistons, rings, shave the frame down, brace it, fairing, pvl......

hell i might even run dunlops if it will save on weight.

then we'll see whats up.

it's on bitches...it's on!

texy

·
Registered
450 Posts
That was a quite a summary Joe. I don't think I could have said it better myself. It was definitely an awesome weekend! Nice weather, nice track and of course great people.

Everyone looked so good this weekend. I think I acted as more of a road block which I was told provided some awesome racing. It is even better than I thought racing with friends out there. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on riding an the track this weekend. It all really helped out a bunch. And yes Tex I did end of loving the track by the end of the day, even with its ledges and uneven concrete and pavement!

Special thank to Joe and Aron for all their encouragement and help getting me out on the track:) Can't wait for next year.....

Edited by - jerseygirl on Oct 01 2007 8:59:03 PM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
kerry,

joe and i were talking alot about the race on our beer run. one thing he said that i agree with wholeheartidly is that at the rate you are picking up new tracks, new race lines, and speed.....

we will be way back in the very far distance next year. thanks for the great race. i wish i would have been fast enough to show you a wheel.

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
racing 3 and 4 wide into the carousel was awesome. if you hadnt been there riding the line so well, we would have been spread all apart cuz one of us would have made the break.

you looked great and rode perfectly. you gotta take that jersey off though. (now jersey girl makes sense!!!) it was like a come and get me target from a half mile away. did you notice we were able to actually catch you, but had a hell of a time actually getting past?? i think you were able to hld us off for about 4 laps. pretty good!

pretty cool! nice riding.

joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts