Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, can you say hot? The weather was hot, the racing was even hotter!

Yes, i made the trip. Only by the good graces and generousity of bucky and bill. Im a slacker. Everyone should be so lucky to have friends as good as mine. I owe you guys. Somehow, im not sure, but ill repay you.

Anyway, i should say the regulars were sorely missed. Whatevs, texy, case, it wasnt the same. We again made a few new friends, and with the absence of a female, the homo-erotic banter was heavy! However, to endure what we did in that parking lot was heroic. The temp had to get to almost 100. I have never felt tires that hot, not on warmers in my life. You guys hopefully enjoyed the comfort of cold beers, ac, and some television.

Anyway, friday afternoon, packed up the gear, and got out of town about 2 hours later than I had wanted to. (330 or so??). It was probably about 90 degrees. I took buckys van and trailer and all his gear as he was to meet us there after work. Met up with bill, and we headed out of town. Rolled into the track almost exactly at 5 but couldnt access the paddock til 6. We come in and up pulls the mazda-rottie, with tt and soto of course with truck packed to the gills. We sat, chatted, looked at bikes, had a beer and made a few new friends. Rolled into the track at 6, had our pick of paddock space and got to work setting up the area. I setup buckys paddock so hed have nothing to do when he got there. Even he agreed it was perfect. He rolled in around 9, i had his gear out, van on the rollers, bikes on stands, canopies up, lights going and beer cold. Of course with nothing to do, bucky drank, and drank. And drank more putting on a prerace show that rivaled anything. It was honorable!

Friday night was hot. Almost uncomfortable. Sweating in the tent, and dreading the sunrise. I got up just because it was so hot I needed a shower. Rolled out, showered, and got in the the line for registration. Bucky was hurting. Just walking around the pit area muttering "fuck me" and "fuck this, this sucks, im outta here". I took quick note of the attendees. Rope, john lawless, and mike ewar finally made it. I dont ever remember standing in the registration line, and literally dripping with sweat. At 7 in the morning! It was disgusting. I realized my wera license had expired. I thought I Had renewed it the last time around. Fuck. Bucky, ya got and extra c-note there??

Anyway, go through tech, check the tire pressure, and get ready for practice. Bucky rolls his cb350 across from the tech shed, and promptly drops it to the ground. Poor guy really is hurting.
WRG is good to go, and bill has no problems. Practice is uneventful, but my bike is breaking up a little on the top end. I bump the timing as little, and check the fuel lines. Fucking water! Dump the lines, and bill yanks his velocity stacks and We are ready to race. Both rounds of practice go mor eor less perfectly. We have the 1st race and the 9th race. 350gp then 500. Everyones pretty stoked.

We grid up for the 350 race. It tt, bucky then myself on the front row of the grid with v1 and f500 in front of us. Rope, soto, bill, stephen barber are behind us.

The flag drops and bucky gets a great start. I mean he pulls probably 10 lengths right off the bat. Hes obviously got some confidence in that new frame!! Im beating tt and the rest off the line though. Rope comes through, and weaves his way through before the first corner. Then promptly disappears off into the heat. Bucky splits a big slow v1 guy we had been discussing since the last summit date around the outside, and i go inside of him making a very agressive and somewhat rude pass. But it works and we ditch him. The chase is on. Im catching bucky every lap. Slowly but surely. I can see where im faster and hes faster. Where im faster im going in deeper and and on the brakes harder every time. After about 4 laps im finally close enough to make the pass going into 1 way late on the brakes. It sticks! I miss a down shift into t3 though and have to roll through in 5th gear. bucky gets back past and puts his head down. I make chase, but theres no catching him. I check my shoulder expecting to see my view filled with tt, or bill, or anyone, but no one in site. I figure i should settle for 3rd, and not wad it trying for a larger piece of plastic. Bucky crosses the line about 100' in front of me. My first legit, hard worked podium. It was sweet!BUt my bikes is running eh.

Everyone comes in and right off the bat starts drinking water. Its hot. High 90s, and humid. But the smiles are there. Rope won it, bucky took a second, and me third. I want my bike fixed. I adjust the clutch hoping for a better launch, well, tt has his hand at it and he actually manages to do it. (after i dont know how many people have tried). It doesnt payoff. Were gridded on the front row. As in. row 1. Bucky gets another big jump. Rope goes through form behind. John lawless is out there with his 47 norton manx. (too effing cool). I chase bucky down and we hold off the v4 throng (sorry, i think its v4) till the chute. Three yamahas come by, and they go 3 wide into t5 behind bucky. They cant get by him. I cant do anything but wait. they all gap us and in t8 i see a wheel come up on the outside of me. (im already on the freaking line!!!) it can only be tt. I turn and have a look expecting to some flying dirt and bike, but its tt on my ass. towing mike ewar and bj. tt nearly cleans us both out. The race is on. mike ewar motors past in the chute on the next lap. tt and i are passing 2 and 3 times a lap. bj gets by once or twice too! i pull a few double drafts down the front straight and go by like they are standing still. on the brakes into 1 and gap them. i blow a corner or 2 and pay by losing a spot. tt goes by. i follow him out of 9 up under the bridge into the fastest corner on the track. start tipping in and theres bj 10' t the inside rolling it in. he gives. i back off, and tt blasts through. another draft and we both shake bj enough to gap him. im working! i let tt lead a lap.we come into t8 and im close. I figure i havnt seen the white flag, i have probably one more lap. rope goes by!!!! he passes tt in 10, i look down the front straight and theres the flagger with the white flag in hand, but fumbling for the checkered. SHIT! tts too far out, and i cant make the pass. the checkers come out and rope takes the win with bucky in second. then tt, and myself. rope lapped the entire class, with the exception of bucky. he was doing 130's our fastest laps were 1:42.5's. Ill take 4th. No problem. For a race that fun, Ill take 4ths every time.

Bucky rode like I have always known he could. He did grenade his bmw in v5. (there was some kind of a hole in his engine case. wtf??!! but he rode the snot out of that 350. The dude can ride. A huge congrats out to bucky, and an even bigger thanks. TT had a great time. So did bill, and i owe him a huge thanks too. Soto was rocking and smiling and having a great time. As always a ton of fun to see him. Saturday night was an early one. Hot, and man, we were beat. Great to see you all. I cant wait to make it to nhms this fall.

nice riding guys. and congrats to everyone.

our new track mascot. tt named her "trash" shes cool. always hangs around our pit. blind in one eye, has some skin thing happening, but as friendly as the day is long.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, tt took a 4th and 3rd
i took a 3rd and 4th
rope won 2 races
bucky got 2 seconds
soto i think got 2 5ths.

jc

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah-

the heat was kinda heavy considering the long cool spring we've had but the racing was awesome. class leader, whatevs, couldn't show up with his exotic ducati speed machine this weekend, so roper showed up and was running 1:30's on his fancy I-talian harley instead, which left the rest of us on the CB350's to fight for any leftovers. Bucky had sorted his chassis and more or less dominated the CB field. Joe looked great and i had one of my favorite races yet,in 500GP, dicing back and forth with the atomic green braking machine for the entire race. I mean we were exhanging positions in almost every straight (the front,between 2 and 3, the chute, the bridge)and every fun corner (1,3or4,5,and somtimes 9)... so it was just a back and forth battle the entire time. so we all know how joe likes to strategize, so i figure the white flag lap is gonna be a hoot, with me trying to keep matching cornerspeed with joes braking and motor....but like joe said, just as we rounded turn 10 to see the white flag and i had managed a bit of a gap, roper came bolting by us both, the flag stand seemed as surprised as we were, and the checkered came out for the aermacchi and stole our last lap battle...which would have been a scortcher. not to mention that BJ is crazy fast too, and not just for a new guy, he's just fast, period. Bill was a big part of the first half of 500GP with the three of us all going into 1 or 5 or 9 basically wheel to wheel with positions changed by the exit almost every time...it was insane. also, BJ had the best ride of the day in 350GP. again, he and i were dicing for about 5 laps with lots of position changes and just having a ball when he ended up just in front of me and a little wide and into the giant gravel trap in T3 at full WOT. as the gravel was pelting my helmet and Bill's bike was slapping its way through the deep runoff i was just cringing and hoping that he wouldn't be hurt too bad when all of the sudden, the bike jumped out of the gravel and onto the turf, and i swear i saw bill grab some throttle and i went from thinking that bill's day was done to, "goddamnit, he's gonna beat me into T5 again"....it was really an amazing save.

so even with us missing some crucial members of the grid, i had a couple of the most fun races i've run yet. i mean i think i made more passes (then needed to repass time and time again) than i've made total in the four years i've been racing...and it was all with my buddies...i love this grid.

still sweating-
tt

·
Registered
450 Posts
Glad to hear everyone did well. I was thinking of you guys jealous of you being out on the track, but not of the heat.

Congrats on the finishes guys! Looking forward to seeing some of you this weekend....the rest you guys suck, and we will miss you:)

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jersey, what exactly is your schedule for racing this season? do you know yet? john asked if i was doing mid ohio this year. he said i HAVE to go. with everyone going, i might just. am just curious.

jc

·
Registered
450 Posts
My schedule is going to be limited for the rest of the year. As far as I know, I am only doing USCRA events from here on out.

I would love to do Mid Ohio, but it is just not in the cards for me unless something comes up last minute. Dad assumed I was going so maybe if I bat my baby blues:) You should totally go! That event is very cool. Awesome to see all the spectators. What USCRA events are planning on doing?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
probably just granite state. with the deadline for mid o right next to the the july date, thats enough $$$. then august is pretty slim picking. i wanted to do beaver run the 21'st but thats out. then the sept summit date. plus i want to do as many outdirt short track races as i can. then there is always the esmra stuff. yeah, you had said you werent going to make alot of dates. but hten youre doing pretty well attendance wise with uscra. so i was curious if there was any chance of seeing you someplace else this season.

j

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Joe,

Nice write up. Would have liked to been there but funds are quickly running low at this point. Hope you can make Mid-Ohio.

Craig

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by craig641

Nice write up. Would have liked to been there but funds are quickly running low at this point. Hope you can make Mid-Ohio.
That seems to be a common thread this year. Nice job guys. Keep the reports coming. I won't be making the Monday USCRA event as I now actually work for a living. In an office and everything! I even have my own cubical! [xx(]

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
unga you're a traitor and unless you are making $500.000.00 a year you have sold yourself to the devil.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by imslow

unga you're a traitor and unless you are making $500.000.00 a year you have sold yourself to the devil.
Guess I need to get that 3rd job... where's the coffee?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:Originally posted by imslow

I once worked for the devil, well, I am sure "they" were close relations. They didn't pay that well and still worked you to death. I guess that is why it felt like hell.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It was definitely a fun weekend even though a bunch of you were missed. Only a couple of hours sleep each night because of the heat but as usual the company and bullshit were great. Bucky definitely showed what he can do with on a solid bike, even with a killer hangover. I don't know how you guys do it. I'd be pukin' in my helmet if I drank a quarter of what Tim and Bucky did.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice. I had a great time trying to keep up with Joe and Tim. The brief shit-my-pants offroad excursion in the gravel trap was an eyeopener for sure. I have no idea how I didn't go down. I guess my lesson for the weekend was that a later turn-in has to be a quicker turn-in!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
hmmmm....friday night drinking contests to "level" the playing field.

i guess it will have to be moonshine and cigarettes up at loudon on the 4th.

who's bringing fireworks?

texy

p.s.- congrats to all. jc gave me the lowdown tonight....but it was a really good write up and read. cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
also......

this was the first wera round (ahrma too.....hehe) at summit i have missed in 10 years.

man i suck!

texy

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah tex-

tried, through joe, to call you saturday night with the update. sunday found alex and i on the road without my phone or your number again. sorry.

funny thing about the ride home, for those of you who know how much crap is packed into the little mazda-rotty for a two bike race weekend, is that we cut down a tire out on I-81 just south of Wilkes Barre. well, the lug wrench and the jack were buried beneath all the bike tools, but with help from alex we still managed a sub 15 minute tire change....we're now lookin' to go pitcrew for NASCAR.

-tt

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Sounds like "Team New Guy" should recruit alex for our pit crew if he doesn't land an enduro ride for July 5th.

Tex - Does this mean you and Casey are making the trip up Nort' for July 4 weekend? The July 4th weekend races look like it is going to be EPIC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts