Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I have had a real project in the garage. I wimped out and just started buying aging superbikes that just needed good services to ride. Well were is the fun in that?
I have all of this pent up creative energy that I need a canvas to make my own. Something that I can so my inner feelings through.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Looking to emulate this pure and simple machine. But go a few steps further. The wheels are WAY too bright, they should be black. The whole bike needs to be lowered about 4-6 inches to really get it down to the ground. This should lower the center of gravity and really improve the handling. Probably shorten up the exhaust a bit to increase power. Clip ons should be under the top triple for sure.

After doing some reading I found out that the frame started out as some POS Bimota DB3. Was not able to fine one of those, but did have a DB4 on hand. 4 is larger then 3 so it must be better.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Its good that it already has a MonoShock, although I think it would be better if the shock was horizontal to the ground.
Will dig into it shortly. Charging the batteries on my impact gun now. Should have this stripped down to the bare frame in a few hours.

Does anyone know what drum bolts onto a GSXR front end? Really want that traditional look with this build.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Casting!

Now that could be a fun project!

I think I have a jar full of coins somewhere.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The key to success is to never have real shoes....

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found out a lot of the body work is made out of carbon? How fucking stupid is that? Its like literally a rock!

Maybe I can smelt them down to do the drum fins.

Reactions: Classic250

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jag, what are your plans for getting a good bone line?
Sawzall and cut off wheels. Picked up some straight angle iron ill JB to the frame. Nice and flat.

What happened to your chopper?

Did you sell it?
Nope.
It is still in my basement. It suffered as many projects do. It is all apart and stalled.
Bottom of the motor is ready to go back together. That was the death nail in the bike. The motor let go.

My real issue with the project is deciding the direction. If I am honest it has crossed the line from patina to ugly. So now the question is how far to go, what materials and finishes to use.....ect ect ect.

I would say I will get to it soon, but there are 4 new bikes inbound to an already over filled garage. Just keeping the superbikes on the road and good is a part time job.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I knew it was Jags. I was just envisioning some guy headed towards it, angle grinder spinning 14k, about to create his vision. Of course in my daydream the artistisan trips on the grinder cord and dies with the cutting wheel embedded in his forehead.
To be fair the cut up a DB3, and almost no one cares about them.
But yeah, the end result is lame and in no way better.
There was a path forward in modifying a DB3, but they missed the mark.

They built a huge and heavy subframe! The original bike didn't need that....why would the modified one?

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

So some asshole swapped the rear end from some bike onto the front end of this one? Why? Seems dumb.
Figure what is done is done. But a bike with two rears is silly.
Thinking of swapping the front of a bike onto the rear of this. Should offer a much more balanced package.

Reactions: CaTacL1sm

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

I always take all the body work off a new to me bike for a nice deep cleaning. Its part of my "get to know each other" ritual. This bike is MUCH dirtier then I was anticipating, so I am digging deeper then I nominally would. Hoping for an above freezing day in the near future so I can hit everything with some degreaser and pressure washer. Should make short work of everything.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Engine needs belts, so that means the motor gets tilted forward to do that job. Fun....
Starting a small list of parts and other jobs that need doing.
-Hydraulic system flushed/cleaned
-Oil Change
-New plugs, need to look up the part number
-Belts
-Carb clean/rebuild
-Dash rubber mounts need replacing
-Fuel pump is wanky, more on that another time
-Tires
-Brakes
-Fork oil
-Might send the shock out for rebuild.
-Kinda want a colored clutch plate....
-ect

Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Light Steering part

Can see the dash is off center and hitting the fairing.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Parts should start showing in a week or so.
Motor vehicle Body jewelry Automotive lighting Silver Jewellery

Brakes just need a deep clean and some fresh pads.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Office equipment

Seller said that the bike was "cold blooded". Now the Flat Slides can be hard to start, I figure they are a bit gummed up from sitting. I also have the stacks, so I think I might run them instead of the filters.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The seat pad sits at basically the edge of that small subframe.
Rest is all self supported.

All my latter Bimota have zero subframe. Seat is supported by the carbon bodywork.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Parts order placed with Ducati. Should be here in a week or so. Sure COVID will delay it in some way....

Mostly been cleaning junk, but it is coming out great.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Font Art Motor vehicle Gas

Tool Wood Bicycle part Font Metal

So I need y'all to vote or something.
Cone filters, or just run the stacks?
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Wood

Got the frame off so I can shorten it up a bit. Dam thing is super heavy as is.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Oh, I am a Billet Sexual.
Anyone have a lead on some parts?
-Breather
-Pressure plate
-Clutch Cover
-Sprocket Cover
-Ect
Looking for period correct pieces.

Also, debating on trying to find some carbon timing belt covers.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have the proper filter mounts with the internal stacks.
I just think it will sound SO much better running raw.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Nah it will never see bad weather or roads.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Downfalls of being amazing?

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ill be sure not to redline it, and keep both tires on the ground at all times too.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It sounds like victory.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Currently there is a fuel pump zip tied to the front cross on the frame. Its slightly more janky then I would have thought.

Can someone shed some light, or share some pictures of how it is all supposed to be installed? I got two pumps with the bike, unsure if one was the original and failed?

Bike has the Corse kit. Without the kit I think the bikes are gravity fed.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Super cold in the garage, but work needs to get did. Two more bikes heading to the garage at the end of the month, so going to get really tight really quick.
Light Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle

Installed a couple of rubber bands to spin the top motor valve thing. Seems that this bike is missing all the valve springs, so going to need to order a replacement set. The things you find when digging into used bikes.

Wheel Bicycle Tire Crankset Bicycle frame

Was really pissed that Firestone doesnt make the right size tire, so had to run some basic tires. Hope they are good enough.

Hand Glove Motor vehicle Finger Bullet

Bought a kit to bond new fiction material to some blank sheets of alloy. Should improve the stopping forces as well as reduce weight.

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Gotta finish with the harness modifications. Taking all the unneeded wires out, who needs blinkers. Wish I could find a kit to convert to a kick starter. Would be a huge improvement. Have to get to MUnit mounted somewhere. Freaking thing is backordered due to COVID so ill have to wait I guess.
White Light Eyewear Product Black

Product Gear Tool Motor vehicle Font

I tried to pair things down, but all this junk has to stay. Hope I can figure out what hardware to use.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That does pop nicely.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts